Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:52:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What will happen with Bitcoin if it never scales?  (Read 11376 times)
Fameone

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 02:29:57 AM

If bitcoin should never scale, it could lose his position to another, better currency.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1362

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 12:52:09 AM

If bitcoin should never scale, it could lose his position to another, better currency.

Exactly. We don't want that to happen with Bitcoin, as it is the reserve currency of all cryptocurrencies in existence. Hence, if Bitcoin fails because of its inability to scale, then altcoins will fail too since they're dependent on Bitcoin's price movements. We've seen many times how altcoins rise in price whenever Bitcoin rises in value.

Therefore, for cryptocurrencies to become mainstream, Bitcoin would need to successfully adopt scalable solutions like the Lightning Network, for others to follow its lead. If Bitcoin scales without issues with LN, then other altcoins can safely adopt Bitcoin's Lightning Network to scale too and have other benefits such as atomic swaps and more. As such, only time will tell whenever Bitcoin will remain a store of value or become an electronic peer-to-peer cash like it was in its early days. Just my thoughts Grin

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
sgenuine

Activity: 854
Merit: 103

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 08:11:25 AM

Finally, Bitcoin will be accepted by most of the countries. It will be legalized, and it will be not more forbidden. It will become the most powerful currency.
DimensionsOfHell

Activity: 346
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 08:40:15 AM

In general, the bitcoin network is able to work in everyday mode. However, sometimes the load becomes peak and the process becomes more difficult. Many users have reported that they have to wait hours or even days before processing their transactions. There were many ways to solve the problem, but none of them has been implemented to date.
mrben77

Activity: 279

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 08:52:54 AM

The problem of scaling has been studied for a long time. The first two serious proposals for its correction are contained in BIP 100 and BIP 101, where BIP means "Bitcoin Improvement Proposal". They were introduced in 2015 by the developers of the bitcoin kernel Jeff Garzick and Gavin Andresen, respectively. Both proposals mention an increase in the block size limit, and both these solutions are hard-wired, that is, if implemented, older versions of bitcoin software will be incompatible with the new network.
vividbery

Activity: 221
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 08:56:13 AM

Maybe bitcoin is just an asset and will not be used as a means of payment as it is today. And maybe even Ethereum could be the best to replace bitcoin.
Dne work

Activity: 30

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 08:48:25 PM

And what awaits then the mass owner of Bitcoin coins, if they all expect a Rainbow future for their capital. This does not affect the price of Bitcoin in the coming years?

If I think Bitcoin is likely to be stagnant. And finally a new Bitcoin will be born who will have problems and this remains (as well as many others like Pow), and dying then will eventually die. I personally think I'm more curious as to why no one has implemented instant payments in altcoin. I heard that Dash would do something like that but the people here quickly disprove my suspicions. Litecoin also wanted it, but Wu and the company seem to have stopped this process as well.
 Bitcoin will be jammed at some point at some price point, it will not rise but and still fluctuate around that circle in my opinion. For the current price, Bitcoin will still have a large movement, a steady increase every month / year but people can not use it like we use fiat money if not measurable.
Perhaps someday another unmeasured cryptocurrency will surpass the Bitcoin price and market capitalization in general.
yoseph

Activity: 868
Merit: 266

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 09:06:03 PM

Maybe bitcoin is just an asset and will not be used as a means of payment as it is today. And maybe even Ethereum could be the best to replace bitcoin.
If the Bitcoin scaling never happens it means that most investors are just going to buy bitcoins and hold it for long term purposes, this means less and less people are going to use it for their transactions because of the fees that are going to be charged and they will move on to other cryptos that gives them faster and cheaper transaction.
Haliburton

Activity: 502
Merit: 118

Liberated Forever. Domesticated Never.

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 11:20:23 PM

In general, the bitcoin network is able to work in everyday mode. However, sometimes the load becomes peak and the process becomes more difficult. Many users have reported that they have to wait hours or even days before processing their transactions. There were many ways to solve the problem, but none of them has been implemented to date.

I think the real issue here is the bad governance underlying Bitcoin. Most altcoins have better governance features and allow users to vote on specific protocol improvements, in order to reach consensus at a fast pace. But, that's not the case with Bitcoin as its community is divided between those who want to preserve Bitcoin as a store of value versus other who want Bitcoin to be used as peer-to-peer electronic cash. This has caused a split from the original Bitcoin chain which led to the creation of Bitcoin Cash.

Right now, both cryptocurrencies (BTC and BCH) have their own visions in terms of scaling, but as far as I know, only one will be able to scale successfully. I hope that the new Lightning Network, Schnorr Signatures, Mimblewimble, and other improvements for the Bitcoin protocol, would become a reality to make Bitcoin scale and handle more users, as well as, increase its privacy over transactions. I know that many criticize the Core development team, but with their Layer 2 solutions to make Bitcoin scale, it could be the safest route to help Bitcoin grow without sacrificing decentralization.

Maybe, someday in the future, Bitcoin's Lightning Network would become used by millions of people around the world, as well as sidechains, to allow micropayments, cheap and instant transfers, and much more. This will make Bitcoin great again, but it is up to the community and dev team to take the initiative to make this happen. Smiley

Bitcoinismylife12345

Activity: 231
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 11:43:55 PM

What do you think that might happen with Bitcoin if no scalable solution becomes accepted?

Will it remain as a store of value, while other altcoins take the lead for everyday transactions? Or will another cryptocurrency take its place as the top in marketcap?

I would like to know your thoughts about this, as the ongoing scaling debate will further limit Bitcoin from reaching new heights. As for me, I believe that the Bitcoin community would come up at a resolution somehow to put an end to this issue, and make the pioneer cryptocurrency great again. What do you think?  Smiley
Maybe bitcoin can be no longer use in other ways but investing in it is still a good idea. It is a valuable asset that most of the users used it as an investment than to use it in their daily life. Price will sooner or later come back after this phenomenon.
Bitcoinismylife12345

Activity: 231

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 04:44:45 PM

I believe that the scaling problem of the bitcoin that exists nowadays is just because of the fights that they have over the access to this cryptocurrency and the way to control it.
Bitcoin developers and other professional users are aware of this phenomena and they are working seriously together to overcome this problem. They know they must do something, they can't let other coins overpower bitcoin that easily. I hope and believe that they are doing their best to make bitcoin better again.
tikaka

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 05:53:58 PM

If bitcoin is not expanded, I think this could lead to bitcoin being killed because its development potential  not have . Investors will begin to give up bitcoin because of   real investment purposes is  the future of bitcoin will be widely used.

Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1362

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 05:44:07 PM

Maybe bitcoin can be no longer use in other ways but investing in it is still a good idea. It is a valuable asset that most of the users used it as an investment than to use it in their daily life. Price will sooner or later come back after this phenomenon.

Yeah. I don't think that scalability is much of an issue in Bitcoin, but more of an improvement to make it capable of processing transactions for the masses. And even if it doesn't manage to scale in the future, it will always be used as a store of value, similar to Gold. The Bitcoin blockchain is fully functional, and it's the most secure to date. While the pioneer cryptocurrency will continue to be used as a store of value, there will be other alternatives available for people to use as digital cash.

Lots of altcoins in the market have better features, and are much faster than Bitcoin itself. They could do the task of processing lots of TPS, giving people the ability to use them for their daily transactions. Hence, they'll use the Bitcoin blockchain for security and reliability, while altcoins would simply be used for quick payments and micro-transactions.

Nevertheless, let's hope that the Lightning Network becomes successful enough to bring Bitcoin to the mainstream world. There are still a lot of people who're unaware of Bitcoin, and Lightning payments might bring their attention. Just my opinion Smiley

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
jefrihunter

Activity: 225

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 05:49:56 PM

well i think the biggest problem that is driving people away from bitcoin is  the transactions and fee, bitcoin has been for a long time the leader of the cryptocurrency and it will stay that way, but with these problems that it is facing today the alt coins are trying to catch up to it, although they are not as popular as bitcoin, but bitcoin is not accepted in all online shops and when you meet someone and you want to tell them about digital currency you must first mention bitcoin. you cannot mention all coins, but atleast the history will be traced to bitcoin. so even if it never scales it will be a great store of value, people will buy it then exchange it with other crypto particularly ethereum or dash that is if they want a faster transaction

azisdoank

Activity: 171

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 07:01:16 PM

i think  it is almost impossible for bitcoin to remain as the most valuable altcoin for ever. Even I am not so sure that any other current altcoin can displace bitcoin from its actual hegemony and If bitcoin never scaled we would have a problem, bitcoin would lose some of its interest and this would affect its adoption level as there are other coins that don´t have its problems by now and that could be presented as an alternative. However, despite the scalability debate that is still in place
NotAtOld

Activity: 200

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 08:06:03 PM

For those of us who are accustomed to cryptocurrency using the decentralization system then it is normal if prices rise or fall significantly, but this is a profit because we can get profit even though the price is down.
justicesquadron

Activity: 215

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 08:31:35 PM

Bitcoin will still top the rankings, even if its role is replaced. Because I think the role of Altcoin is just a complement to the existence of Bitcoin.
ListenMiss

Activity: 79

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 01:42:16 AM

I dont even like to imagine a scenario where bitcoin fails to scale, because it could get very ugly for all cryptocurrencies in the market
senin

Activity: 938
Merit: 137

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 02:23:56 AM

This is an interesting question. I think that some people will vseravno want to have bitkoin at least as a numismatic value. After all bitcoin vseravno can be bought and sold. Apparently, it will be used only for large transactions. Now there are a lot of coins that can be used for small household transactions. The bitcoin will find a niche in this plan also in the event that it does not scale further. However, to say what will be its price in this case is quite difficult. Everything will depend on the further direction of the development of the crypto currency.
Sosad12

Activity: 53

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 04:19:33 AM

Bitcoin takes such strong positions in the cryptomarket because of its popularity. If people start using other crypto currencies for daily transactions, then bitcoin will decrease in price and demand for it will fall. As for other cryptocurrencies, they will take Bitcoin's place.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: