Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:16:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the 'amount' requested when genning a new address?  (Read 710 times)
bitterbug (OP)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 10:35:04 AM

Hey,

I noticed on a few spv wallets that on generating a new receive address, I'm prompted to enter the amount I'm receiving.

Thing is I rarely if ever know the amount. Because of the fact that the fees vary from one exchange to another. Besides, there is also the miner's fee which is a bit of a mystery to me, still.

What is the purpose of this 'amount' and what happens if it doesn't match the amount which eventually arrives at the address?

Thanks
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 11:25:44 AM
Last edit: April 02, 2017, 12:43:21 PM by Wusolini

Hey,

I noticed on a few spv wallets that on generating a new receive address, I'm prompted to enter the amount I'm receiving.

Thing is I rarely if ever know the amount. Because of the fact that the fees vary from one exchange to another. Besides, there is also the miner's fee which is a bit of a mystery to me, still.

What is the purpose of this 'amount' and what happens if it doesn't match the amount which eventually arrives at the address?

Thanks

This is very useful feature for sellers when creating unique address for each customer with locked price.
If you put in an amount it will create payment request code so customer just scan the QR (or click the link) and confirms sending (he does not need to put in the amount nor the address ... all is already locked in) thus eliminate sending wrong amount.

What happens if you put in wrong amount? The customer will send you that wrong amount ( if he does not double check it ) = serious problem.

Example:
payment request looks like: "bitcoin:ADDRESS?amount=XXX&message=YYYY"
and if you put the above text into url tag the link will open your wallet and pre-fill the address, amount and description (you can try the link bellow to see what happens)

Example link:
payment request link

P.S: quote this post to see how the link look like, do not send me anything its just example

EDIT (after post below): OK, I did not understand the question and answered off topic. I have no experience with shapeshift so I'm not going to advise you.
I can only assume it's not necessary to put a value in wallet B .. just skip it if possible.
Better to wait for other users reply

bitterbug (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 12:01:21 PM

Right, well, that makes sense.

Maybe I'm not asking the right question. Let me ask the question this way.

When using dash to buy btc, via shapeshift, the shapeshift receiving address will receive the trx amount that left my dash-supporting wallet-A.

In the meantime I will have generated, in my btc-supporting wallet-B, a (btc) receiving address.

But I don't know what the final amount will be when I get prompted to enter it, in wallet-B. I have no idea what the final Shapeshift rate will be.

Therefore I can only guess what the wallet-B receive amount will be, ahead of time.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6571

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2017, 02:41:32 PM

You don't need to enter any amount when requesting an address. It is entirely optional. There is no limit on how much an address can receive or how many times it can be used. Your wallet will still track the address's balance even if it has received more than the amount requested (which can be whatever you want it to be) and even if you keep reusing the address.

bitterbug (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 04:26:07 PM

You don't need to enter any amount when requesting an address. It is entirely optional. There is no limit on how much an address can receive or how many times it can be used. Your wallet will still track the address's balance even if it has received more than the amount requested (which can be whatever you want it to be) and even if you keep reusing the address.

Thanks, achow101.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: