Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:49:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Lost" Blocks?  (Read 1453 times)
LobsterMan (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 09:41:05 PM

(crosspost from m0m's miner thread...but some of the replies there lead me to believe that this may be something that happens on the real network too...)

I made a bit of a discovery when testing m0m's latest binaries in -testnet, look at the times when blocks are generated in the miners, and note that they don't all show up in bitcoin's UI:

There seems to sometimes be a delay of 1 or more minutes between when they show up in the miner and when bitcoin picks up the transaction, if it picks it up at all.
Is this something to worry about, or just a peculiarity of testnet?

Other people have said that they "lose" about 10% of the blocks that they generate, which to me seems unacceptable if it takes possibly multiple days to generate a block....is there any merit to these claims?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ByteCoin
expert

Activity: 416
Merit: 277

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 10:26:53 PM

Artforz data indicates that he sees 0.2% of his blocks "go missing". Our guess is that satoshi saw this happening and fixed the UI to hide the problem but overestimated the frequency of occurrence. 10% block loss implies a propagation delay of the order of tens of seconds which seems rather high.

I requested that miners look for lost blocks and share their data in
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1799.msg22508#msg22508

ByteCoin
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 10:52:44 PM

just my experience using m0mchil's pre-builds on default settings,
first time noticed October 30, til now an average of 10% "poofed".

the network, the miner, the client, whatever it is, that's what i get and i take it (there's nothing I could do anyway).

LobsterMan (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2010, 10:21:36 PM

I just had a miner seemingly drop a block on the live network and this is pretty aggravating considering that I only generate a block maybe once a week....is there anything that can be done about this?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 16, 2010, 10:29:13 PM

I just had a miner seemingly drop a block on the live network and this is pretty aggravating considering that I only generate a block maybe once a week....is there anything that can be done about this?

No.  The most likely explaination is that your generator developed a block and shipped it out to the network, but someone else also generated a valid block slightly quicker.  Whichever of the blocks spreads out first is more likely to grab the majority of the network nodes, and then then next block is more likely to be generated based on it instead of your's.  This is how the network chooses between ties.  Someone else has posted that roughly 3% of generated blocks get rejected by the network due to this effect, but I can't verify that.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
LobsterMan (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2010, 10:37:59 PM

EDIT: Nevermind I guess I spoke too soon. For some reason the generation didn't register in my client until an additional block was generated, so it showed up at 2/unconfirmed  Grin
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12982

View Profile
December 17, 2010, 01:40:11 AM

EDIT: Nevermind I guess I spoke too soon. For some reason the generation didn't register in my client until an additional block was generated, so it showed up at 2/unconfirmed  Grin

New blocks are delayed for a block before they show up in the UI to stop users from getting their hopes up about a failed block.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: