Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:58:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another question regarding a first time GPU rig build  (Read 509 times)
TunerDude007 (OP)

Activity: 458
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 09:45:55 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2017, 10:32:13 PM by TunerDude007

Hey everyone please bare with me. I have spent the better part of past 2 weeks reading novels worth of information regarding assembly and software installation. I've got Win 10pro successfully installed, built my frame and getting ready for final assembly.

Parts list
5x MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8gb
1x Saphire RX 480 Nitro 8gb
6x Ver 007 risers (red ones)
Asrock H81 Pro Btc
EVGA 1300 Supernova
G1840 cpu
cheap ram

I was fairly confident I would get along without having to ask any questions as I believe in searching, but I am more then confused regarding drivers. I am getting/reading so many different suggestions as to which AMD drivers to use that I am now not sure which ones to use, I know Claymore says Catalyst (Crimson) 15.12, but others say to use different driver.

My eventual goal is to dual mine Eth/Dcr, once I have that stable and figured out then I want to flash/mod the bios as I am reading that 29-31mhs are achievable depending on chip models.

So with that said and knowing what I want to do with this rig, which drivers would you guys recommend I install? Also power consumption is important to me, but it's NOT as important as it may be to others as hydro is included in my rent, not sure if this will play a role in which drivers I should install?

Again, I appreciate all the help guys....man that Claymore thread was a long one to read, but it seemed the more I read the more I was uncertain regarding drivers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gondel
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 10:13:39 PM

Hi,
I saw 16.9.2 was the best for that, but really do not wantto mislead you. At the moment I am using latest drivers bydefault and I am happy with it.
TunerDude007 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 10:30:03 PM

And you have RX 480's? What OP system are you using?

Thanks for your reply!
Truthchanter

Activity: 689
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 10:36:28 PM

I 2nd the 16.9.2 driver recommendation.

Also I DO NOT recommend the red v007 powered risers. This is because they are powered by sata and sata power for powered risers for the rx series gpus is very iffy. There has been much discussion back in 2016 about this. You may be okay with these, especially if you undervolt... But even if you undervolt you may get fried wires as sata for this isn't as safe (doesn't supply as much wattage) as molex and pci for powered risers.

Everything else looks good. I definitely recommend flashing the bios with modded memory strap timings (you can mod your own bios pretty easily there are guides all over)
RequiredInformation

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 11:15:54 PM

Hey everyone please bare with me. I have spent the better part of past 2 weeks reading novels worth of information regarding assembly and software installation. I've got Win 10pro successfully installed, built my frame and getting ready for final assembly.

Parts list
Asrock H81 Pro Btc
EVGA 1300 Supernova
G1840 cpu
cheap ram

I was fairly confident I would get along without having to ask any questions as I believe in searching, but I am more then confused regarding drivers. I am getting/reading so many different suggestions as to which AMD drivers to use that I am now not sure which ones to use, I know Claymore says Catalyst (Crimson) 15.12, but others say to use different driver.

My eventual goal is to dual mine Eth/Dcr, once I have that stable and figured out then I want to flash/mod the bios as I am reading that 29-31mhs are achievable depending on chip models.

So with that said and knowing what I want to do with this rig, which drivers would you guys recommend I install? Also power consumption is important to me, but it's NOT as important as it may be to others as hydro is included in my rent, not sure if this will play a role in which drivers I should install?

Again, I appreciate all the help guys....man that Claymore thread was a long one to read, but it seemed the more I read the more I was uncertain regarding drivers.
It seems that the Asrock H81 Pro Btc and Biostar Tb85 are out of stock everywhere in the US, any suggestions? cheers
TunerDude007 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 11:16:32 PM

I 2nd the 16.9.2 driver recommendation.

Also I DO NOT recommend the red v007 powered risers. This is because they are powered by sata and sata power for powered risers for the rx series gpus is very iffy. There has been much discussion back in 2016 about this. You may be okay with these, especially if you undervolt... But even if you undervolt you may get fried wires as sata for this isn't as safe (doesn't supply as much wattage) as molex and pci for powered risers.

Everything else looks good. I definitely recommend flashing the bios with modded memory strap timings (you can mod your own bios pretty easily there are guides all over)

Shit.. I thought the red risers were the bees knees... With that said should I connect the 2 separate power connectors for the pci slots on the H81 pro btc motherboard? I'm also getting mixed results on that. Some people connect them.. Others don't.
TunerDude007 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 11:19:49 PM

Parts list
Asrock H81 Pro Btc
EVGA 1300 Supernova
G1840 cpu
cheap ram

It seems that the Asrock H81 Pro Btc and Biostar Tb85 are out of stock everywhere in the US, any suggestions? cheers

Yes I had a hard time finding one... I had to order on ebay, came from France.
RequiredInformation

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 12:01:27 AM

Parts list
Asrock H81 Pro Btc
EVGA 1300 Supernova
G1840 cpu
cheap ram

What?!
TunerDude007 (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 12:55:10 AM

Parts list
Asrock H81 Pro Btc
EVGA 1300 Supernova
G1840 cpu
cheap ram

What?!

What do you mean what? We're you not asking where to find a motherboard?
RequiredInformation

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 01:30:18 AM

Parts list
Asrock H81 Pro Btc
EVGA 1300 Supernova
G1840 cpu
cheap ram

What?!

yeah, but that's not a reasonable alternative imo :/
TunerDude007 (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 01:53:17 AM

Parts list
Asrock H81 Pro Btc
EVGA 1300 Supernova
G1840 cpu
cheap ram

What?!

yeah, but that's not a reasonable alternative imo :/

Ok... So what's your other options at the moment?Anyways this thread is getting side tracked...

Could someone else please let me know what drivers they are using? In the meantime I'm going to try 16.9.2...again thx everyone!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: