Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:37:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, well, well, now we know what Jihan Wu’s been up to.  (Read 19953 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Killerpotleaf

Activity: 812
Merit: 250

A Blockchain Mobile Operator With Token Rewards

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 03:11:57 PM

Why do the details of how this is accomplished matter (other than in hindering protocol updates) if it does not create vulnerabilities in the PoW process?

I see it now that its bolded.
and i would answer that...

the details DON'T matter, other than in hindering protocol updates  Cheesy
and there's one more thing...
this solution is patented and makes competing with them impossible.

miners were told this was a bad idea a year ago.
now what, we stop progress because progress means they lose a 20ish% advantage

we stop progress so that they can continue to corner the market with their fucking patent?

███
             █████
            ███████
           █████████
          ███████████
         █████████████
        ███████ ███████
       ███████   ███████
      ███████     ███████
     ███████       ███████
    ███████         ███████
   ███████           ███████
  ███████             ███████
 █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
M!RACLE TELE
BRINGING MAGIC
TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
40% Biweekly Rewards
▬▬▬   Calls at €0.2   ▬▬▬
Traffic from €0.01 worldwide

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
      ██         ██     
        ▀▌     ▐▀       
       ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄      
     ▄█████████████     
   ▄█████████████████▄   
  ██████▄██████▄██████  
 ▐█████████████████████▌
  ██████▀███████▀██████ 
  █████   █████   █████  
  █████████████████████  
  █████████████████    
    ███████████████    
 ▀██▄ ████████████  ▄██▀
      ▀██▀   ▀██▀   
       ▄█       █▄
ANN
Lightpaper
Bounty
Facebook
Twitter
Telegram

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 03:17:06 PM

Not if you use the covert (unprovable) way.

Aren't you breaking the law any way by holding BTC that was used in money laundering.

Come now, as if Bitcoin is a legally compliant endeavor.

As I said, I don't think you guys like PoW. You guys would prefer government laws.
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 03:20:27 PM

@iamnotback: if btc acts as a settlement network and most of us aren't allowed to transact on it anymore because fees are too high, doesn't it also mean btc price will also be super high? how high do you figure?

very interesting discussion btw, i love how this was played by every party, its like a giant game of chess being played in front of us

ps: i hope one day you'll be able to brag that you told everyone to buy ltc @ 6.5$ like you did for btc @ 10$ in january 2013!
iamnotback

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 03:24:34 PM

And intellectual property expended is one of the capital costs "wasted" (expended) on security.

Bitmain has huge sunk costs invested in ASICs. They have in their interests to protect Bitcoin.

Bitmain is protecting Bitcoin from those who want to change it from "protocol is law" to "governance is law".

Blockstream thinks they own the protocol. So they had to be spanked and sent to an altcoin.

Bitmain depends on being on the same side as the whales. If Bitmain tried to HF with BU, they would commit suicide, because whales would be forced to fight them.

That is your opinion.  Mine is that they are protecting their investment in mining capital, which without their improvement could not have been economically beneficial (as witnessed by ex-KNC statement)

Once you add up of the facts, you'll realize I am correct (@dinofelis preceded me with this opinion and now I have identified the technical specifics of the factual support):

Bitmain depends on being on the same side as the whales. If Bitmain tried to HF with BU, they would commit suicide, because whales would be forced to fight them.

BU was merely a diversionary tactic to get more of Bitmain's miners spread out into the wild, so that they can destroy Blockstream.

I just realized that Bitmain probably was only blocking SegWit on Litecoin because they wanted to keep the conflict between BU and Blockstream sustained for as long as possible and block any release valves, so that they could maximize the number of their asicboost miners they could ship for Bitcoin.

Once they've defeated Blockstream, I think they will stop blocking SegWit on Litecoin.

There is no benefit to Bitmain to prevent growth of usage of the blockchain/altcoin ecosystem which Bitcoin is the reserve currency of.
Killerpotleaf

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 03:25:26 PM

Not if you use the covert (unprovable) way.

well then they have no advantage and we have no problem....

all miners must start boosting

once we have all miners boosting, losing the ability to boost is meaningless

███
             █████
            ███████
           █████████
          ███████████
         █████████████
        ███████ ███████
       ███████   ███████
      ███████     ███████
     ███████       ███████
    ███████         ███████
M!RACLE TELE
BRINGING MAGIC
TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
40% Biweekly Rewards

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
      ██         ██     
        ▀▌     ▐▀       
       ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄      
     ▄█████████████     
   ▄█████████████████▄   
  ██████▄██████▄██████  
 ▐█████████████████████▌
  ██████▀███████▀██████ 
  █████   █████   █████  
  █████████████████████  
  █████████████████    
    ███████████████    
 ▀██▄ ████████████  ▄██▀
      ▀██▀   ▀██▀   
       ▄█       █▄
ANN
Lightpaper
Bounty
Facebook
Twitter
Telegram
iamnotback

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 03:29:25 PM

ps: i hope one day you'll be able to brag that you told everyone to buy ltc @ 6.5$ like you did for btc @ 10$ in january 2013!

I want to be able to brag about making an altcoin that has helped everyone. If I don't achieve that, I will consider myself a failure.

But thank you. And speaking of that, I need to leave this thread soon.

I have tried to help. I hope I haven't alienated everyone to be against me. I am just trying to be realistic. I do hope we can build things that improve our human plight. I have some ideas to work on.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4441

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 03:36:07 PM

An ASIC moving from 56nm to 28nm is an efficiency gain, because it does more work (more operations) for less electricity.

ASICBoost doesn't do more operations for less electricity. ASICBoost lets the ASIC skip doing some of the work. It does not contribute any additional security to the network. If everyone used it, it wouldn't make a difference, it would still require the same number of operations to attack the network prior to it existing.

This is why ASICBoost is a shortcut, not an efficiency gain, it does not contribute any additional security.

if it makes bitmain solve blocks a little faster. then difficulty rises to compensate..
think about it!

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 03:41:23 PM

@iamnotback: if btc acts as a settlement network and most of us aren't allowed to transact on it anymore because fees are too high, doesn't it also mean btc price will also be super high? how high do you figure?

if it starts costing $6 per transaction onchain
then even with LN to open/close a channel is a $12 expense.

so think of it this way, (think of a real world service. and run some scenarios like im about to)

some banks charge $6 per wire transfer
would you use paypal if they dropped the 20cent down to 1cent a tx internally but wanted to charge you $12 externally to use their service for 2 weeks.

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
anonymoustroll420

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 03:41:50 PM

An ASIC moving from 56nm to 28nm is an efficiency gain, because it does more work (more operations) for less electricity.

ASICBoost doesn't do more operations for less electricity. ASICBoost lets the ASIC skip doing some of the work. It does not contribute any additional security to the network. If everyone used it, it wouldn't make a difference, it would still require the same number of operations to attack the network prior to it existing.

This is why ASICBoost is a shortcut, not an efficiency gain, it does not contribute any additional security.

if it makes bitmain solve blocks a little faster. then difficulty rises to compensate..
think about it!

Right, but the higher difficulty has the same security as the pre-ASICBoost difficulty...... This is not a problem BTW as it's not less security. It's why this is a shortcut, not efficiency gain.

If only one firm has ASICBoost, that gives them a monopoly, which is a real problem. But the devs are not willing to prevent that from happening right now as preventing that would brick all ASICBoosted chips.

The big issue, the main issue, is that covert ASICboost breaks many kinds of network upgrades, NOT JUST SEGWIT AND NOT JUST SOFTFORKS AS MANY PEOPLE ARE SPEWING, but it does break segwit. This gives miners an incentive to oppose these changes. So covert ASICboost needs to be made impossible. antminers support overt ASICBoost, so they can still boost away if they want.

Please don't stop us from using ASICBoost which we're not using
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 03:47:19 PM

Right, but the higher difficulty has the same security as the pre-ASICBoost difficulty...... This is not a problem BTW as it's not less security. It's why this is a shortcut, not efficiency gain.

If only one firm has ASICBoost, that gives them a monopoly, which is a real problem. But the devs are not willing to prevent that from happening right now.

The big issue, the main issue, is that covert ASICboost breaks many kinds of network upgrades, NOT JUST SEGWIT AND NOT JUST SOFTFORKS, but it does break segwit. This gives miners an incentive to oppose these changes. So covert ASICboost needs to be made impossible. antminers support overt ASICBoost, so they can still boost away if they want.

by the way.
bitmain donot make rigs for $2000. it costs then ~$400
for evry rig they sell to competitors they get to key 3 rigs for themselves and have spare cash to pay for electric.

this is the same for bitfury and other asic manufacturers...
that is the true way they make their profit.

secondly. by selling to competitors then its not an unfair advantage of having asic boost, because the competitors have it tooo..
think about it!

i will laugh if gmaxwell pulls the PoW nuke and suddenly BTCC and slush(blockstream defenders) go down too

anonymoustroll420

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 03:49:13 PM

secondly. by selling to competitors then its not an unfair advantage of having asic boost, because the competitors have it tooo..
think about it!

The miners they sell don't have ASICBoost enabled. It may be possible to enable it, we're not sure and no software or method to do that exists yet. They could be a second product line that don't have ASICboost at all. Right now it looks like they are the only ones mining covert ASICBoosted blocks. These can still be detected on the blockchain.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 03:52:44 PM

think about it!

If only one firm has ASICBoost, that gives them a monopoly, which is a real problem. But the devs are not willing to prevent that from happening right now as preventing that would brick all ASICBoosted chips.

The big issue, the main issue, is that covert ASICboost breaks many kinds of network upgrades, NOT JUST SEGWIT AND NOT JUST SOFTFORKS AS MANY PEOPLE ARE SPEWING, but it does break segwit. This gives miners an incentive to oppose these changes. So covert ASICboost needs to be made impossible. antminers support overt ASICBoost, so they can still boost away if they want.

I agree with you as far as ASIC secrets should not be patentable. 

Core is still liars/obstructionists though.

iamnotback

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 03:56:24 PM

These can still be detected on the blockchain.

Not provably (with current protocol).

BIP that forced overt, would force everyone to pay patents fees to Blockstream's Sergio Lerner.  Wink

Was wondering why it takes you guys so long to connect the dots of the corruption that is Blockstream.
anonymoustroll420

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 04:00:23 PM

BIP that forced overt, would force everyone to pay patents fees to Blockstream's Sergio Lamier.

no it wouldn't. Bitmain owns the patent in China. It would force people in China to pay it to Bitmain, but most likely people will just infringe on their patent (if they can convince a foundry to do that) as IP law in china is real messed up.

Even if it did force them to pay Sergio, they have already been caught...

iamnotback

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 04:01:40 PM

BIP that forced overt, would force everyone to pay patents fees to Blockstream's Sergio Lerner.

no it wouldn't. Bitmain owns the patent in China. It would force people in China to pay it to Bitmain, but most likely people will just infringe on their patent (if they can convince a foundry to do that) as IP law in china is real messed up.

No it would force everyone who owns Bitmain miner to pay patent fees to Sergio Lerner in order to run the overt asicboost built into their miner.
Killerpotleaf

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 04:02:30 PM

Sergio Lerner patented this in US and Bitmain patented this in Chain?

███
             █████
            ███████
           █████████
          ███████████
         █████████████
        ███████ ███████
       ███████   ███████
      ███████     ███████
     ███████       ███████
    ███████         ███████
M!RACLE TELE
BRINGING MAGIC
TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
40% Biweekly Rewards

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
      ██         ██     
        ▀▌     ▐▀       
       ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄      
     ▄█████████████     
   ▄█████████████████▄   
  ██████▄██████▄██████  
 ▐█████████████████████▌
  ██████▀███████▀██████ 
  █████   █████   █████  
  █████████████████████  
  █████████████████    
    ███████████████    
 ▀██▄ ████████████  ▄██▀
      ▀██▀   ▀██▀   
       ▄█       █▄
ANN
Lightpaper
Bounty
Facebook
Twitter
Telegram
anonymoustroll420

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 04:03:14 PM

Yes. Here is bitmains patent
http://211.157.104.77:8080/sipo_EN/search/detail.do?method=view&parm=16b414c21a2f19d11b2c18401bcd1a5f183a19561ad91be11a501c4805792c231f5421b222572195236c20482755275723ca24be2221222525702494250d26c0274025822c3f29092a7c29a02d6d2d6f28fa2ed62bd12c892f482c34330947932f5c2c0a2ac731b9333c316c366534e7318235ee337934f1360837f03747371b371a34e231bf38f13b04390c3e0d3f6f39ea3dc63c573d6d3e683e4c26d918c33ffe3c523c273e354334405c47c545774302408e4423458d47b04688462b46a846c246aa436f47554bcc49784a2d

Other companies patented it in other countries that have foundries too (allegedly).

iamnotback

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 04:03:18 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2017, 04:17:13 PM by iamnotback

Yes. Other companies patented it in other countries that have foundries too (allegedly).

How many Bitmain miners have been sold to miners in countries that enforce USA patents (and patents in those other countries)?

They surely want to enable the asciiboost built into their miners. Upthread I even quoted one miner rejoicing over the prospect.

Bitmain has checkmated Blockstream.

Also the thing with the covert ASIC design, I am fairly certain foundries can't detect whether the ASIC allows it or not. I think it is possible to put all the key logic in a separate CPU controller. So if I am correct on that assumption, then the foundries can't block it and they can't be sued for patent infringement either.

Bitmain being in China, can't be sued. It is a very clever separation-of-concerns ploy they did. I am impressed.

Btw, I think maybe I remember reading something in the Trilemma.com logs about this miner ploy plan last year. It was written in a cryptic way. It didn't register for me at that time. But now I vaguely remember it. But I might be just manufacturing it as a false memory. I was in such delirium with the disseminated Tuberculosis that my memories from the past couple of years are all jumbled. I think MP (or one of his underlings had made him aware of it) had noticed this possible technical way to defeat mutability and he had selected Bitmain to carry it out.
Fundamentals Of

Activity: 2310
Merit: 366

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 04:07:57 PM

I wonder what will those exchanges that already sell BTU tokens in advance. Now that BTU seemed unlikely to happen.
Kprawn
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 04:09:39 PM

think about it!

I agree with you as far as ASIC secrets should not be patentable. 

Core is still liars/obstructionists though.

They must be paying you well from the +/- $100 million USD per year they received from this exploit to still shill for them. No matter what

excuses you might think of for this.... people will still remember them for the "cheater" a$$holes they are. Why would anyone in their right

mind stand behind these cheaters?..... Paid shilling

THE FIRST DECENTRALIZED & PLAYER-OWNED CASINO
.EARNBET..EARN BITCOIN: DIVIDENDS
FOR-LIFETIME & MUCH MORE.
. BET WITH: BTCETHEOSLTCBCHWAXXRPBNB
.JOIN US: GITLABTWITTERTELEGRAM
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: