Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:33:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 8 gpu target ASUS Z270 / MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON  (Read 5545 times)
drrobert (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 04:54:16 PM

Hi i'm looking for build a rig for Eth, i wanna use 8 gpus i need some info between this mobo:

MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON
Asus Z270 A

Both MB have 7 pcie and 1 M2 connection than we can add 8 gpu, somebody just did it?
Cause i know on MSI require a special firmware not provider by MSI (where i can found it ?) for 8 th gpu and about Asus i dont' have idea if need something special

Thanks for any info.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Etherion

Activity: 512
Merit: 260

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 05:10:44 PM

I traded the m.2 to pci-e adapter but could not get the gpu to detect. Used msi guard-pro. Let us know if you have more success
Truthchanter

Activity: 689
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 05:26:25 PM

Hi i'm looking for build a rig for Eth, i wanna use 8 gpus i need some info between this mobo:

Asus Z270 A

Both MB have 7 pcie and 1 M2 connection than we can add 8 gpu, somebody just did it?
Cause i know on MSI require a special firmware not provider by MSI (where i can found it ?) for 8 th gpu and about Asus i dont' have idea if need something special

Thanks for any info.

I actually saw someone make a custom bios for that mobo and downloaded it. I got the mobo too but haven't got my cpu yet so I haven't tested the newest official bios (which is supposed to work with 7gpu) AND I HAVEN'T TESTED THS CUSTOM MOBO BIOS

https://ufile.io/590b62
mojoxc

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 05:30:40 PM

Just FYI Z170 chipset boards are going end of life from MSI mid year.
drrobert (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 08:05:04 PM

Asus Z270 A

Thanks for any info.

I actually saw someone make a custom bios for that mobo and downloaded it. I got the mobo too but haven't got my cpu yet so I haven't tested the newest official bios (which is supposed to work with 7gpu) AND I HAVEN'T TESTED THS CUSTOM MOBO BIOS

let to know us if working will be very userfull.
bel123

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2017, 09:28:03 AM

Asus Z270 A

Thanks for any info.

did you test it? Smiley
bitkoyin

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2017, 04:59:53 PM

i have did that on  maximus v formula with m.2 to pci-e adapter, its succsessfully finds 8 gpu on device manager without error, but somehow i didnt get reliable mining, windows frequently freezing when mining @ 8gpu. for additional info i was connected 8 rx470 4gb
drrobert (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2017, 06:00:24 PM

i have did that on  maximus v formula with m.2 to pci-e adapter, its succsessfully finds 8 gpu on device manager without error, but somehow i didnt get reliable mining, windows frequently freezing when mining @ 8gpu. for additional info i was connected 8 rx470 4gb

you must use for 8 gpu linux, there is also os optimized for this like ethos (payment) or miningOs (free) or you can try to do all by your self with a ubuntu installation.
Did you use a custum bios for you MB or you use standard bios?
bitkoyin

View Profile
April 09, 2017, 08:01:43 AM

i have did that on  maximus v formula with m.2 to pci-e adapter, its succsessfully finds 8 gpu on device manager without error, but somehow i didnt get reliable mining, windows frequently freezing when mining @ 8gpu. for additional info i was connected 8 rx470 4gb

you must use for 8 gpu linux, there is also os optimized for this like ethos (payment) or miningOs (free) or you can try to do all by your self with a ubuntu installation.
Did you use a custum bios for you MB or you use standard bios?

i am not expert on linux systems so i decide the keep going with windows, for the MOBO i didnt update the bios rom, instead i have disable the unneccasry features like wifi, bt, onboard vga, and i have set the pci-e ver. 3.0 to 1.0. Wink
drrobert (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2017, 08:14:54 AM

i am not expert on linux systems so i decide the keep going with windows, for the MOBO i didnt update the bios rom, instead i have disable the unneccasry features like wifi, bt, onboard vga, and i have set the pci-e ver. 3.0 to 1.0. Wink

if you try miningOS (is free), there is thread on this forum you dont' need to do anything just flash os to ssd, it have web interface (then you can check system status everywhere), no linux knowledge required. 8 gpu it is better than 7 just try it Tongue
bitkoyin

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 06:34:43 PM

if you try miningOS (is free), there is thread on this forum you dont' need to do anything just flash os to ssd, it have web interface (then you can check system status everywhere), no linux knowledge required. 8 gpu it is better than 7 just try it Tongue

i will check it later on, thank you
Mr.Argful

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 08:01:03 AM

i will check it later on, thank you

Dude, you can go ahead with windows 10. I'm running 8 GPU on Z170A Gaming M7. 7 PCIe slots and 1 M.2 Slot.
No freezing no nothing. Only weird thing is, that the MOBO will stuck on every restart (Debugcode 96) so you need to hit the reset button several times
till it jumps from 96 to A2 which will boot your OS.
Im working on a remote solution which will be done over hardware. Because software resets dont work if windows freezes. And also if the MOBO stucks at restart
you cant do anything like Wake on Lan so i have a tailor made solution.

Anybody who is interested: I have a solution to bridge the Jumpers physically on the Mainboard for Start/reset remotely over wifi. (start your mainboard from anywhere in the world)
Costs will be 20€ for the module which needs to be hacked (cut away some things and solder some liines)
I will do it for you and send to your desired address guys. (20€ already ready to go)

Best wishes
tutulfo

Activity: 322
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 08:09:18 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2018, 08:52:21 AM by tutulfo

I have same asus motherboard with 11 card using 2 m.2 to pcie and and pcie 4x splitter.

I have test same spliter and m2 adapters on msi gaming m7 without flaws

Last official firmware and Windows 10 on both.

Megaminer - Multi pool / Multi Algo launcher https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2059039.0
BTC: 1AVMHnFgc6SW33cwqrDyy2Fug9CsS8u6TM -------   LTC:  LVwuYbAvbMDVapheQBA7o2qQ2mKTEXVDbX
BCH: 1N7wsg4JmWJLP6BuHUP5rwsAXnQjTWPBjr --------  ETH: 0x9b7A01Bf5bD29c66d228d372B5bD1C43cDb78AcC
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 08:18:05 AM

I assume you already have M.2 to the PCI-Express adapter (you can get on ebay, amazon, newegg). For Asus Z270 A motherboards when using win 10, be sure to enable 4G Decoding in the motherboard BIOS so that the OS can detect the number of GPUs that you install.
Mr.Argful

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 09:58:39 AM

I have same asus motherboard with 11 card using 2 m.2 to pcie and and pcie 4x splitter.

MSI Z170A Gaming M7 ?!

One of the 2 m.2 adapters won't work on this board actually. There is a point in the manual which says something about the m.2 slot in combination with PCIe slot.
Furthermore the latest bios also doesnt work for me. I have to use an old one.
Please explain what exactly you did.

Best regards,

Mr.ARgful
tutulfo

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 11:02:59 AM

MSI Z170A Gaming M7 ?!

One of the 2 m.2 adapters won't work on this board actually. There is a point in the manual which says something about the m.2 slot in combination with PCIe slot.

Best regards,

Mr.ARgful

Nothing special, manual indicates that one pcie slot is lost if you use two m2 ports but I have tested (lastest bios) and it´s false for my board.... Grin

I have tried with M.2 pcie Adapter+SSD M.2 and a gpu on indicated manual lost slot and works.

Megaminer - Multi pool / Multi Algo launcher https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2059039.0
BTC: 1AVMHnFgc6SW33cwqrDyy2Fug9CsS8u6TM -------   LTC:  LVwuYbAvbMDVapheQBA7o2qQ2mKTEXVDbX
BCH: 1N7wsg4JmWJLP6BuHUP5rwsAXnQjTWPBjr --------  ETH: 0x9b7A01Bf5bD29c66d228d372B5bD1C43cDb78AcC
greentekel

Activity: 38

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 12:00:16 PM

11 cards on the Asus Z270 A ? Are you seeing any hash drops per card ?
Mr.Argful

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 12:15:38 PM

MSI Z170A Gaming M7 ?!

Best regards,

Mr.ARgful

Nothing special, manual indicates that one pcie slot is lost if you use two m2 ports but I have tested (lastest bios) and it´s false for my board.... Grin

I have tried with M.2 pcie Adapter+SSD M.2 and a gpu on indicated manual lost slot and works.

Do i get it correctly:

You tried two normal M.2 -> Pcie Adapters? What kind of adaters did you use? Pls provide a link of the adapter YOU USE, because its also about the pcie speed.
Furthermore, which PCI risers are you using? Which PCIe Spped are they?
Please see this spot in the manual, which says that :
Important
●● The M2_1 slot will only run PCIe 3.0 x2 speed when
M2_1 slot is installed with a M.2 PCIe device and
PCI_E4 slot is installed with a PCIe x1 device at the
same time.
●● Intel® RST only supports PCIe M.2 SSD with UEFI
ROM, does not support Legacy ROM.

So this might be the problem?!?!

Best regards
tutulfo

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 04:08:22 PM

MSI Z170A Gaming M7 ?!

Best regards,

Mr.ARgful

Do i get it correctly:

You tried two normal M.2 -> Pcie Adapters? What kind of adaters did you use? Pls provide a link of the adapter YOU USE, because its also about the pcie speed.
Important
same time.

Best regards

I make test again and works, 8 cards+SSD M2 working, I am using M.2 adapter with floppy power conector not new usb model, risers are molex model rev 003, 003s and 006, riser connected to M.2 adapter is 003.

I cant test 2 M.2 adapters because need SSD M2 to boot but this configuration should not work according to the manual

Mr.Argful

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 08:09:55 AM

MSI Z170A Gaming M7 ?!

Best regards,

Mr.ARgful

Do i get it correctly:

Important
same time.

Best regards

I make test again and works, 8 cards+SSD M2 working, I am using M.2 adapter with floppy power conector not new usb model, risers are molex model rev 003, 003s and 006, riser connected to M.2 adapter is 003.

I cant test 2 M.2 adapters because need SSD M2 to boot but this configuration should not work according to the manual

Thank you very much for you effort.
But your last sentence confirms, it is not possible to run 9 GPU (7 in pCIe Slots + 2 in M.2 Slots) and thats what i wanted to say in the beginning.
Im just able to run 1 extra GPU in M.2. To get more than 8 GPUs running, you probably need a PCIe Splitter 1 -> 3 Adapter.

Best regards,

Mr.Argful
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: