Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:34:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Human Mined Alt Coin?  (Read 1625 times)
CRkfx1 (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:52:33 AM

What's the possibility of creating a currency not mined with processing power, but with human interaction instead.  Meaning that a wallet holder would receive coins each time they completed an open-sourced captcha hosted by one of many "system maintainers". 

Anybody could mine the currency, only requirements are a wallet and an internet connection.  No expertise or expensive hardware needed. Very little energy would be required to increase money supply and it would be distributed (somewhat) democratically. 

The system maintainers would be rewarded for captcha's processed and transaction verifications.

Everybody would have some to spend, hence making the economy and usage growth that much quicker.

Or is it impossible to create an unbreakable a captcha system?  I'm just a lowly SQL/HTML programmer so my knowledge of advanced captcha techniques is very limited.

No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:56:56 AM

Would it not be "boring"?

The idea of digitalcoin is that it allows you the freedom to pursue alternatives while mining is done electronically.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
CRkfx1 (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:01:58 AM

The idea of digitalcoin is that it allows you the freedom to pursue alternatives while mining is done electronically.

It would only be boring for those wishing to earn coins via captcha.  System maintainers, especially the popular ones, would be rolling in it.

But you did make me see a potential problem...slave labor, like I hear about in Chinese jails, guards forcing inmates to collect WoW points/dollars, whatever they are, by doing repetitive crap online.
chriswen

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:19:23 AM

you can get captchas on the cheap.  Way more accessible than botnets.  Basically if you thought this would be an easy way for you to get some coins that's wrong.  You'll get owned by captcha solvers.  You can get captcha solves for 0.0015 (maybe better).  So basically this would be really susceptible to a 51% attack lols.
CRkfx1 (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:38:32 AM

you can get captchas on the cheap.  Way more accessible than botnets.  Basically if you thought this would be an easy way for you to get some coins that's wrong.  You'll get owned by captcha solvers.  You can get captcha solves for 0.0015 (maybe better).  So basically this would be really susceptible to a 51% attack lols.

Thanks.  You're right on.  I also just finished reading some white-pages on captcha's.  This idea would never work.

We can let this thread die a miserable death it deserves.   Cheesy
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 02:57:03 AM

Hey, I enjoyed reading it Smiley

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
mycketbra

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:28:35 AM

it would be nice to have a coin based on solving tasks with human intellect, like amazon mturk minus their fascist tax collecting tendencies
milazi

Activity: 43

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:13:29 AM

Actually hav no idea on it
xan_The_Dragon

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

I AM A DRAGON

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:23:05 AM

like the concept but have to make it non-automatable

MfFMEpgL5Ma9C2yw6iSsSX4QcbSVzjm6iK
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 04:45:41 AM

The transaction processing stuff is nice to have automated, so you get blocks regularly.

The human element is best used for the actual distribution of the currency.

Unfortunately "mining" as a way of processing transactions is insanely expensive currently because miners waste massive amounts of hashing power that could be merged-mining umpteen chains. Thus a lot of currencies have ended up moving away from using blockchains for now. Maybe once consumer ASICs are available off the shelf, shipped when ordered instead of having to be pre-ordered some of those currencies will be able to set themselves up with enough hashing power to consider going back to blockchain format.

I have written up some info about "CPU mining" research that has been going on, take a look at

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=cpu_mining

I have also been tracking some of the currencies that had to move away from using blockchains for now, as well as various other assets, in tables and plots linked to from

http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
bitcoiners

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:47:31 AM

I have a pick axe and a shovel.  I'll give you two tons of rock per day per block of digital coins.  Deal?
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:59:09 AM

it would be nice to have a coin based on solving tasks with human intellect, like amazon mturk minus their fascist tax collecting tendencies

It would be great to have a coin based on solving tasks with human intellect, like getting coins for writing articles Grin
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=earn_devcoins_by_writing

CRkfx1 (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:01:28 AM

Never heard of the mturk.  I went and checked it out.  Nifty!  I created myself an account just to play, maybe earns some USD, wish it paid coins!

But yes, if there was someway to funnel human think into the mining process, that would be awesome.  Sort of like Devcoin, but much, much easier to become one the rewarded devs.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 05:12:01 AM

Even the smaller intergalactic mining corporations are now mining about two million units of deuterium per month per planet, with about five planets or so running, take a look at the prices they get per thousand units of deuterium and the couple of years of play it took them to get their planets built up to that point doesn't seem too bad considering it doesn't really take a whole lot of administrative work to administrate such a corp.

http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html

(The link to deuterium price per thousand units is down at the bottom.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
CRkfx1 (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:14:48 AM

I have written up some info about "CPU mining" research that has been going on, take a look at

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=cpu_mining

Awesome stuff there Mark.  Going to reread it now.  

I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who has been thinking about this.
bitcoiners

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:16:26 AM

I'm willing to do actual human work with a pick and shovel and not taken seriously... see this is why a "human" mined altcoin won't get off the ground.
ebildude123

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:19:11 AM

Even if this was created, people could use an OCR (optical character recognition) and automatically solve em.
joanofarc

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:26:50 AM

Some day we'll have AI. Anything that can be done by a person can be automated!
wiggi

Activity: 403
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:16:01 PM

PoW would be something like Nethack.

Bots can't win because it's too complex, but it's simple enough that software can validate an honest win/ascent,
and People play it even without getting coins.
skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:14:17 PM

Actually we already have something like this, it's called Gold  Tongue

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
BBQKorv

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:08:42 PM

Some might call this work/fiat.

Nice idea though.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:18:16 PM

Actually we already have something like this, it's called Gold  Tongue
Bitcoins are mined by humans, with the help of tools. Gold is mined by humans, with the help of tools. What is the point of this thread?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: