Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 11:28:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Having a hard time setting up guiminer  (Read 2673 times)
MR_Plow (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:29:12 AM

Hey guys, so sorry that my first post on the forums is due to a problem I'm having but I'm pretty stumped :/

So I have the 2012-11-18 version of guiminer and I'd like to mine on my gtx480 in the BTC Guild (using the US-Stratum server). All my video card drivers are up to date. When I attempt to mine with the default setting (CPU Affinity left all blank except for the first core) and the correct username, etc. I get "NameError: name 'OpenCLMiner' is not defined" in the lower left corner and am continually stuck at "Starting..." on the right corner.
When I make a new CUDA miner (I downloaded CUDA from Nvidia this morning as well), I keep all the setting the same, but when I click "Start mining!" nothing happens at all. The button is depressed, but the status at the bottom right still reads "Stopped" and I see no change in the window.

I've searched a bit about the the NameError (though I obviously still couldn't solve the issue), but haven't really been able to find anything about the CUDA miner issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
MR_Plow (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:36:15 AM

Yeah, from what I've read my GPU driver should include OpenCL compatibility so I figured updating that would solve the issue. Apparently not.
I've generally associated OpenCL with ATI cards and CUDA with nVidia cards which is why I thought the CUDA Miner may be the way to go. Unfortunately, that was problematic as well.
Let me know if you find a fix for the issue!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 06:17:51 AM

I'm not much of a mining hardware/software expert. I posted your question in the "Mining Support" thread.  Hopefully someone there will see it and respond here.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=187134.0
MR_Plow (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 07:36:26 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2013, 08:50:46 AM by MR_Plow

You may/may not be my new hero. Seriously, thank you so much for linking my thread in the other subforum! If there was a way to give you rep/karma/a virtual cookie, rest assured I'd be all over that.

Edit: So I got cgminer to work without a problem (well, aside from the fact that downloading it was a pain due to a crappy ISP). Personally, I think it would be better for me to use guiminer since I really don't know much of what I'm looking at in cgminer, but this certainly reduces the urgency of my search for a guiminer fix.
dennis97519

Activity: 58
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:29:13 AM

Hey guys, so sorry that my first post on the forums is due to a problem I'm having but I'm pretty stumped :/

So I have the 2012-11-18 version of guiminer and I'd like to mine on my gtx480 in the BTC Guild (using the US-Stratum server). All my video card drivers are up to date. When I attempt to mine with the default setting (CPU Affinity left all blank except for the first core) and the correct username, etc. I get "NameError: name 'OpenCLMiner' is not defined" in the lower left corner and am continually stuck at "Starting..." on the right corner.
When I make a new CUDA miner (I downloaded CUDA from Nvidia this morning as well), I keep all the setting the same, but when I click "Start mining!" nothing happens at all. The button is depressed, but the status at the bottom right still reads "Stopped" and I see no change in the window.

I've searched a bit about the the NameError (though I obviously still couldn't solve the issue), but haven't really been able to find anything about the CUDA miner issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Maybe you have to set the path to external application in guiminer? Is there a command line miner exist called CUDA miner? Or is it inbuilt to the guiminer?
MR_Plow (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:24:41 AM

Maybe you have to set the path to external application in guiminer? Is there a command line miner exist called CUDA miner? Or is it inbuilt to the guiminer?

Hm that seems like it'd be an odd requirement to not be mentioned in the program itself doesn't it? The CUDA miner option is built in to the interface of guiminer, it's legitimately under File, New Miner.
Kruncha

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:39:03 AM

Guiminer with Stratum support has been released. Upgrade is highly recommended.

Get the latest version of guiminer to ensure stratum support.

K.
MR_Plow (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:56:31 PM

Aw shucks, is that what it comes down to?
I downloaded the version directly from BTC guild so it says it has stratum support (and that is the server I selected from the drop down list).
I'll look around for an updated version though, thanks.
jdean1

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:02:33 PM

What is the new version?
Kruncha

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:03:33 PM

That's your problem then, no need to get a newer version (it is the new version), just follow these instructions:

From their site below the download:

WARNING: GUI Miner's official release has still not updated BTC Guild's server listing. If you downloaded it elsewhere, use 'Other' with Host stratum.btcguild.com and port 3333, or eu-stratum.btcguild.com for EU. Failure to do this will put you on the getwork protocol which is not recommended.

K.
toothpicks

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:21:56 PM

sorry to be a bit off topic, but which pool is better to join, btc guild or slush's? and is it worth mining if i can only get like 86 Mhash/s?
MR_Plow (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:22:17 PM

That's your problem then, no need to get a newer version (it is the new version), just follow these instructions:

From their site below the download:

WARNING: GUI Miner's official release has still not updated BTC Guild's server listing. If you downloaded it elsewhere, use 'Other' with Host stratum.btcguild.com and port 3333, or eu-stratum.btcguild.com for EU. Failure to do this will put you on the getwork protocol which is not recommended.

K.

Err, unless I'm reading that wrong, that warning is just for if you've downloaded guiminer from another source. It doesn't say anything about the version you get directly from them. Regardless, I actually tried both their version and the official version when I read that on the BTC guild site. It still didn't work unfortunately.  
Kruncha

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:32:23 PM

Damn, then i'm all out of suggestions - hopefully an expert will spot this and lend a hand.

K.
MR_Plow (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:01:30 PM

Damn, then i'm all out of suggestions - hopefully an expert will spot this and lend a hand.

K.
Haha, it's alright thanks for your suggestions!
Now that I'm mining anyway I'm a bit less pressed for help anyway Smiley
pr0d1gy

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 08:52:53 PM

newb here myself... But i bought 2  nvidia gfx cards that didnt work for guiminer, but they did work when i use CUDA, it was the cmd version, but it did work, altho they barely seemed to get over 20 khs... Switched to an amd/ati 7770 now im at 140-160 khs. just seems that nvidia isnt made to mine high numbers, nor on GUIminer. not sure if it helps in your situation. But try the cmd version of CUDA Miner...

Set Escrow
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kruncha

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:04:40 PM

sorry to be a bit off topic, but which pool is better to join, btc guild or slush's? and is it worth mining if i can only get like 86 Mhash/s?

Didn't notice your question.

I'm a slow miner as well, and much prefer Slush's pool, as an added bonus miners get block value + transaction fees (every little helps).

K.
Morguk

Activity: 594
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:32:52 PM

Try reaper, it's a lot simpler and sometimes gives better performance! Smiley

Calculate the chance of hitting a bitcoin block when solo mining at
5120-01-518-6126

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

< My mining rig >

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:55:09 PM

I'm using guiminer on a dual GTX480 system pushing around 120MHash/s to a stratum server.  Guiminer is just a wrapper for poclbm (PyOpenCL bitcoin miner).  All new Nvidia drivers include OpenCL support for their CUDA cards, so create a new OpenCL miner -- not a CUDA miner.  If your GTX480 doesn't automatically show up in the Device box, then you need to download new GTX480 drivers.  If you have multiple 480's, you should see them all with the Device box pulldown.
5120-01-518-6126

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

< My mining rig >

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:59:35 PM

My vote is for slush's pool.  Fee is only 2% (lower than BTC Guild and 50BCT) plus you get a share of the transaction fees -- even more important, you get great support.
grabble

Activity: 23

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:14:44 PM

I started mining with BTC Guild recently and I'm going back to slushs pool.

I thought I would give it 2 days and see what I did better with, def slushs.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: