Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:21:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help - Hosted mining via proxy to minimize bandwidth  (Read 1538 times)
VentMine (OP)

Activity: 236
Merit: 105

View Profile
April 08, 2017, 06:26:09 PM

Ok, so here's the deal:

I'm mining with a cellular internet connection, so data is expensive. I understand I can set up a proxy and aim my miners through the proxy to the mining pool (in my case Slushpool), thereby minimizing the share request and minimizing bandwidth. Hopefully I'm on point so far? I'm so far out of my skillset here...

Anyways, I want to host other peoples equipment one day as I have access to relatively cheap power, but I can only do so if I can aim their equipment through a proxy / do something to minimize my bandwidth use. Currently, on Slushpool, if I set my Antminer S9 to the minimum difficulty, I consume about 14 mB / day and if I set it to max diff, I consume about 4 mB/day. This is still too much if I want to host mining equipment, not to mention I will not be able to control what pool the hosted equipment is aimed at, and what difficulty setting they've set their Worker.

First - Considering what I want to do, is it possible to aim hosted equipment through a proxy (let's assume Antminer S9's are the hosted equipment)?
Second - Can anyone point me to any resources on how to solve this problem / set up proxy?

Any help / tips at all is appreciated.

Cheers

Edit - darn, I should of put this in Mining Support, sorry.

1ESSdoVYKm8sNtYMfdkFBajhAe2e6G8keH

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
astutiumRob

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2017, 04:29:32 AM

I'm mining with a cellular internet connection, so data is expensive.
Mining doesn't use massive amount of bandwidth/data-transfer, but can suffer from huge latency issues.

Just get a hard-line installed, as it sounds like you're looking to solve the wrong problem Wink

www.astutium.com - domains | hosting | vps | servers | cloud - proud to accept bitcoins. UK colocation for BFL and KNC ASICs in Tier3+ DC
Register Domains with BTC
Want to make some bitcoins ? Miner on ebay | Buy GH/s
italianMiner72

Activity: 910
Merit: 511

View Profile
April 24, 2017, 08:50:01 AM

Ok, so here's the deal:

I'm mining with a cellular internet connection, so data is expensive. I understand I can set up a proxy and aim my miners through the proxy to the mining pool (in my case Slushpool), thereby minimizing the share request and minimizing bandwidth. Hopefully I'm on point so far? I'm so far out of my skillset here...

Anyways, I want to host other peoples equipment one day as I have access to relatively cheap power, but I can only do so if I can aim their equipment through a proxy / do something to minimize my bandwidth use. Currently, on Slushpool, if I set my Antminer S9 to the minimum difficulty, I consume about 14 mB / day and if I set it to max diff, I consume about 4 mB/day. This is still too much if I want to host mining equipment, not to mention I will not be able to control what pool the hosted equipment is aimed at, and what difficulty setting they've set their Worker.

First - Considering what I want to do, is it possible to aim hosted equipment through a proxy (let's assume Antminer S9's are the hosted equipment)?
Second - Can anyone point me to any resources on how to solve this problem / set up proxy?

Any help / tips at all is appreciated.

Cheers

Edit - darn, I should of put this in Mining Support, sorry.

i can confirm you who mining don't use internet connection heavily.
You can check it with a simplest traffic monitor, or if you have Windows, opening task manager and checking network traffic.

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

████           ▄▄█████████▄▄            ▄▄█████████▄▄        ████         █████      ██████████████████   ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████         ▄███████████████▄        ▄███████████████▄      ████       █████      ████████████████████  █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████        █████▀       ▀█████▄     █████▀       ▀█████     ████     █████         █       ████       █  ████     █████             ████     █████  
████       ████▀           ▀████▄   ████▀           ▀████    ████   █████                   ████          ████      ████     ████    ████      ████  
████      ████▀              ▀████ ▀███▀                     ████ █████                     ████          ████     █████     ████    ████     █████  
████      ████                 ████▄ ▀                       ████████                       ████          █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████      ████                  ▀████                        ████████                       ████          ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████      ████▄             ▄██▄ ▀████▄                      ████ █████                     ████          ████    ████       ████    ████            
████       ████▄           ▄████   ▀████▄           ▄████    ████   █████                   ████          ████    ▀████      ████    ████            
████        █████▄       ▄█████      █████▄       ▄█████     ████     █████                 ████          ████      ████     ████    ████            
████████████ ▀███████████████▀        ▀███████████████▀      ████       █████               ████          ████       ████    ████    ████            
█████████████  ▀▀█████████▀▀            ▀▀█████████▀▀        ████         █████             ████          ████        █████  ████    ████            

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
VentMine (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 04:24:04 PM

Thanks for not answering my question guys, very helpful. I don't have the option to hard-wire, and yes I know mining bandwidth is small, but in my application it is still too much.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 05:28:30 PM

Thanks for not answering my question guys, very helpful. I don't have the option to hard-wire, and yes I know mining bandwidth is small, but in my application it is still too much.
In short the problem is using a cell connection.... It has latency issues that cannot be addressed - just the nature of the beast. Yes a proxy helps but there is only so much that is possible and yes there is the data usage cost issue..

If you cannot get a landline is there a location nearby that you can setup a WiFi link with directional antennas to? Still far from ideal but better than a cell connection and your only choice. Some setups will easily do links in excess of 1km.

Considering you are talking about hosting other folks miners, you need a land line. Period.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 06:39:55 PM

I dont know how many miners you are planning on running but creating a local pool proxy as well as a local DNS server will cut down on the traffic over your internet connection quite a bit. For whatever reason the bitmain units make tons of DNS queries. I actually had a firewall overloaded by DNS and pool connections to the point where the PAT pool was running out of ports and causing all kinds of weird problems. One issue with the proxies is that they only redirect to one pool at a time. You could run a virtual server with a proxy for each pool you supported and would just have to point each miner at the specific proxy for their pool.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
VentMine (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 05:17:38 AM

I have access to a relatively cheap power source but it is remote. The only option for internet is cellular or satellite. My understanding is the cellular latency shouldn't be a significant issue, sure some extra stales but overall should be a very insignificant %. The data usage cost is the main problem, I want to avoid a huge bill due to some hosted mining equipment mining on a tiny share difficulty.

I'm not a programmer type and have minimal experience configuring networks. I am just hoping for some help on setting up a proxy, some basic first requirements / steps might be enough.

vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 04:07:19 AM

I have access to a relatively cheap power source but it is remote. The only option for internet is cellular or satellite. My understanding is the cellular latency shouldn't be a significant issue, sure some extra stales but overall should be a very insignificant %. The data usage cost is the main problem, I want to avoid a huge bill due to some hosted mining equipment mining on a tiny share difficulty.

I'm not a programmer type and have minimal experience configuring networks. I am just hoping for some help on setting up a proxy, some basic first requirements / steps might be enough.

theres really not that much youll be able to do but if your looking for a proxy then you can try looking for slushes stratum proxy which should cut down some bandwidth but youd need to run one instance for each pool you/clients will be using, stratum is pretty much as small and low bandwidth as mining allows as it only requests and sends when needed, mining on a cell connection will have a bigger impact on mining that your thinking, youd constantly be running behind the network by a few ms so odds of you solving a puzzle go down as everyone else gets theres in first.

theres plenty of options for other connections depending on budgets and distances and where you are but that up to you, if you want suggestions then you can always ask Smiley

https://slushpool.com/help/manual/stratum-protocol#download

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2017, 04:45:10 AM

For whatever reason the bitmain units make tons of DNS queries.
We know what that reason is - they report to bitmain with that security hole they left in there that was originally meant to be for remote management that never happened and ended up being left unintentionally as a backdoor to the devices including a kill switch.

To answer the opening poster's question - ckproxy will do what you need, but can't fix your ultimate uplink quality at all.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
VentMine (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 10:37:14 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try again to get either CKproxy or slush's to work.

Cheers

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: