Bitcoin Forum
October 23, 2018, 08:44:36 AM *
News: Make sure you are not using versions of Bitcoin Core other than 0.17.0 [Torrent], 0.16.3, 0.15.2, or 0.14.3. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Pro Eletrical instalation help.  (Read 1405 times)
8ballcloud

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2017, 09:18:57 PM

whats up fellow miners, I am currently running 6 Antminer S7 on 220v    

readings are as follow

wire one 40.1 Amps

wire two 41.5 amps

My question is  Can i run an aditional 2  S7 on the same  instalation.

the breaker is a dual 60 Amp on a Square D box.

there is absolutly nothing els conected to the cuirquit .

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/um9pvah7g9fp5y5/AABUpKRbs_RPEBAU5PISSGeka?dl=0

yes wireing is a mess but its well organized in my head.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NiHaoMike

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2017, 01:23:07 AM

Rule of thumb is to leave 20% of margin, so one additional S7 would be fine but two won't be. Add that one S7 and find another location for the other one.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1363

Avalon 841 rocks

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 04:24:58 AM

readings are as follow

wire one 40.1 Amps

wire two 41.5 amps

Okay a s7 should be 5 to 6  amps.

Six s7 should be 36 amps not 40

Two more should add say 12 amps.

Or 52 amp total

My question is what Psu do you use.

And are you high clocking the s7
40 amps would be close to 1470 watts a s7

I mine alt coins with https://simplemining.net...
I see BTC as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 10:09:37 AM

What is the wire gauge?? AWG.......

Your breaker can be whatever,but you are limited by the wire size.......

Find that out & be sure you are correct,I get wire sample pieces from Home depot,just a few inches of each size,DO NOT stick anything in the junction box,just hold em kinda close & eyeball it  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Lagniappe

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 01:59:54 PM

readings are as follow

wire one 40.1 Amps

wire two 41.5 amps

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/um9pvah7g9fp5y5/AABUpKRbs_RPEBAU5PISSGeka?dl=0

I commend your work, that is a nice, non-slack panel.  I know an electrician with lots of 'extra' panels and wire, he runs lots of big jobs and is a thieving bastard. Which is good for me, at the supply house, panels even with the 20% discount are high. I was only an electrician's apprentice, (apprentice is just another word for bitch) but I was in a non union shop. If this was my setup, I'd put another circuit before I would add anything else to that load. Setups like this are making me want to consider delving into Bitcoin further, as I am only an Ethminer atm.

Also, that 25% continuous load rule, I don't know if it applies to mining rigs or not. (Theory is don't load a circuit with computer shit past 75% or 80% capacity because of fluxuations in power usage)

Electrical work is so interesting to me when it pertains to mining. Back when I did electrical work, doing electrical was the last thing on earth I wanted to do. Now, I would rather  wire up a farm than anything.

EDIT- let me know if you wanna sell any s9's, looking to replicate this install. photos saved.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1117

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 02:17:14 PM

Also, that 25% continuous load rule, I don't know if it applies to mining rigs or not. (Theory is don't load a circuit with computer shit past 75% or 80% capacity because of fluxuations in power usage)
Not sure how yer 25% bit fits in but yes, for ANY type of load you do not want to exceed ~80% of a circuits capacity. Same applies to an ATX PSU - never run them at or near full load. The HP and IBM server PSU's however can take it.

Yes if properly sized per-code the breakers/plugs/wiring will handle 100% but will not be happy doing it 24x7. Plugs and wiring will get rather warm and the breakers may trip at any time if voltage drops (which makes current pulled go up).

For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself - Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats
How a miner mfgr SHOULD operate: HaggsFIN trip to Canaan My info useful? Donations welcome! 1Fuzzyk398kDWVjuC5qPX5v6CjSkvbgAbd
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
RentGPU

Activity: 560
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 03:47:04 PM

The circuit loading percentage depends alot on the time factor , i mean that if we are speaking about a 1 or 2 hour load then you can load your circuit with 90-95% it's okay, but talking about mining most of ppl said it here you should not exceed 80% of your wires , and for me i won't exceed 70% and lower is better because mining is 24/7 so you will face all sh*ty stuff like flactuations and high summer temps overloading ,maybe sometime you want to power something else beside your miners , so stick to this 80% for your safe.

Telegram ClockwiseCryptoNews join @ClockwiseCrypto
NiHaoMike

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2017, 01:34:15 AM

The circuit loading percentage depends alot on the time factor , i mean that if we are speaking about a 1 or 2 hour load then you can load your circuit with 90-95% it's okay, but talking about mining most of ppl said it here you should not exceed 80% of your wires , and for me i won't exceed 70% and lower is better because mining is 24/7 so you will face all sh*ty stuff like flactuations and high summer temps overloading ,maybe sometime you want to power something else beside your miners , so stick to this 80% for your safe.
Why the 1-2 hour rule for breakers and wiring? The thermal constants involved are way under 1 hour, probably 10 minutes or so at most. (1-2 hours does sound realistic for a large transformer, of which there is unlikely to be one in residential.)

I used to have a microwave oven that would pull pretty much exactly 15A and it would often trip a 15A breaker even when used for only 3 minutes or so. It was really designed for use on a 20A circuit, and in fact kitchens typically do have 20A circuits to accommodate appliances that push the limits of a 15A plug.

Keep in mind that most electronic loads (and motors) draw more current as voltage goes down, as opposed to resistive loads that draw less. If the voltage is 10% low, the current will increase about 11% to compensate. That's just part of the reason for the 20% margin.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1117

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 03:08:18 AM

Per NEC, feeding a purely resistive load a residential/commercial breaker which is thermal/magnetic operated MUST hold 100% of rating indefinitely and trip at 115% within 1 minute. In the case of a microwave, they pull a highly pulsed load and the pk pulses probably tripped the magnetic portion of it.

For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself - Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats
How a miner mfgr SHOULD operate: HaggsFIN trip to Canaan My info useful? Donations welcome! 1Fuzzyk398kDWVjuC5qPX5v6CjSkvbgAbd
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
RentGPU

Activity: 560
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 01:59:03 PM

Why the 1-2 hour rule for breakers and wiring? The thermal constants involved are way under 1 hour, probably 10 minutes or so at most. (1-2 hours does sound realistic for a large transformer, of which there is unlikely to be one in residential.)

I used to have a microwave oven that would pull pretty much exactly 15A and it would often trip a 15A breaker even when used for only 3 minutes or so. It was really designed for use on a 20A circuit, and in fact kitchens typically do have 20A circuits to accommodate appliances that push the limits of a 15A plug.

Keep in mind that most electronic loads (and motors) draw more current as voltage goes down, as opposed to resistive loads that draw less. If the voltage is 10% low, the current will increase about 11% to compensate. That's just part of the reason for the 20% margin.
I mean the wires can hold 90-95% of it's rating for 1-2 hrs at maximum , they can't hold that for 24/7 , circuit breakers only acts in short circuit it senses the very high ampere range which results from short circuits only not from overloading , there is switches for overloading only not circuit breakers

Telegram ClockwiseCryptoNews join @ClockwiseCrypto
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 12:56:46 PM

What is the wire gauge?? AWG.......

Your breaker can be whatever,but you are limited by the wire size.......

Find that out & be sure you are correct,I get wire sample pieces from Home depot,just a few inches of each size,DO NOT stick anything in the junction box,just hold em kinda close & eyeball it  Wink

THIS!!!

WIRE GAGE... what is it... if it is too small that shit will burn.

You really want at least 4 gage wire for 60 amps.  Although I'd go with 1 gage for less losses in heat.
babycicak

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 05:32:36 AM

readings are as follow

wire one 40.1 Amps

wire two 41.5 amps

Okay a s7 should be 5 to 6  amps.

Six s7 should be 36 amps not 40

Two more should add say 12 amps.

Or 52 amp total

My question is what Psu do you use.

And are you high clocking the s7
40 amps would be close to 1470 watts a s7

I have 220v, and with single phase 60A, i can run 8xs7, without clocking. Choosing the wire is important, 6mm2 wire can connect to 4xs7 without problem. if you use 2.5mm2 for MAX only 2xs7.

Good luck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.