Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:28:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you mine with Raspberry Pi 3b+?  (Read 259 times)
crairezx20 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
November 03, 2019, 04:15:32 PM

Can you guys mine with Raspberry Pi 3b+? I have raspberry pi here didn't use it for a few months I just use it before for cron to automate the miner.

I would like to use it again but I don't know if where I can make a profit while running it for 24/7. We have 0.12 cents per KW/h this is my current Electricity price but I think raspberry pi is not power-hungry.

Do you guys recommend anyways to make a profit with a Raspberry pi if mining or other ways to make bucks?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bittraffic

Activity: 2926
Merit: 612

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2019, 04:44:03 PM

There is already Pi 4 by the way, its true Pi is not power hungry I think it only need 5.1V.
Right now I don't think it can mine any coins but probably electroneum and those coins that only needs CPU to mine.

There is a project with an algo like Idena Proof-of-Person Blockchain which you might be interested. Looks something new in crypto and it needs support. 

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15..

..Buy Now..

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
..CONFIRMED..

Lafu
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 3038

View Profile
November 03, 2019, 11:07:29 PM

You can mine with an Raspberry Pi 3b+ and other versions of Raspberry Pi !
Depends on what you want to mine , there are a lot of sd card images on the internet for a lot of algos and things to mine .
There is also an cpu miner software version for Pi that can handle a lot of algos and you can install it on debian and other OS for Pi.

joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
November 03, 2019, 11:31:25 PM

Definitely no profit.  Pi is great at a lot of things that don't require large amounts
of compute power but anything designed for low power isn't suitable for POW.
Bigger is better, and more efficient.

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
November 04, 2019, 03:52:58 AM

Most people with a Rasp Pi usually run a Bitcoin node. You don't get paid for this and it actually used a lot of bandwidth but you keep Bitcoin decentralized by doing so.

Regarding if it's profitable to mine? Consider this. Most people with GPUs and ASICs are barely profitable with 0.12kwh power. And those are high end devices not a portable mini CPU computer. Don't think there is anything out there worth mining even with free power.

If your ISP doesn't give you limits just run a Bitcoin node. You will need a large HD however.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
crairezx20 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2019, 06:36:10 AM

Depends on what you want to mine , there are a lot of sd card images on the internet for a lot of algos and things to mine .
There is also an cpu miner software version for Pi that can handle a lot of algos and you can install it on debian and other OS for Pi.

Can you mention those images and what algos? let me try and maybe it's worth it to try.

Most people with a Rasp Pi usually run a Bitcoin node. You don't get paid for this and it actually used a lot of bandwidth but you keep Bitcoin decentralized by doing so.

Regarding if it's profitable to mine? Consider this. Most people with GPUs and ASICs are barely profitable with 0.12kwh power. And those are high end devices not a portable mini CPU computer. Don't think there is anything out there worth mining even with free power.

If your ISP doesn't give you limits just run a Bitcoin node. You will need a large HD however.

Do you mean High-end GPUs? I don't know if it's profitable to mine with GPUs nowadays with 0.12kwh power maybe for ASICs.

I'm thinking twice for Bitcoin node but my plan is to install Bitcoin node for the lightning network. Do you think I can make few bucks for running a lightning node?
nsummy

Activity: 1178
Merit: 131

View Profile
November 05, 2019, 05:43:07 AM

I think the only sbc build that might have been slightly profitable was this guys mega farm of XU4s: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2254852.0   Grin Grin Grin

You could always buy a Newpac and plug it into the Pi https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5053711.0
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2019, 06:15:42 AM

Do you mean High-end GPUs? I don't know if it's profitable to mine with GPUs nowadays with 0.12kwh power maybe for ASICs.

I'm thinking twice for Bitcoin node but my plan is to install Bitcoin node for the lightning network. Do you think I can make few bucks for running a lightning node?

Yes its barely profitable with high-end GPUs to mine especially with 12c power which is considered average.

You can run a lightning network but right now most of the usage is experimental and doesn't really have much transactions. Most people are just testing it out for bugs and such. I don't think you will be able to make much by hosting a LN node.

If you really want to mine then just buy a second hand RX 470 8GB GPU for like $75 and just mine ETH, you will make a nickel a day. If ETH doubles you get a dime. But who knows, maybe one day it will hit $1400 again and it will be worth it.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
bjbitcoin

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2019, 04:36:09 AM

What is this software called?
pishite

Activity: 966
Merit: 132

View Profile
November 09, 2019, 05:00:15 AM

Can you guys mine with Raspberry Pi 3b+? I have raspberry pi here didn't use it for a few months I just use it before for cron to automate the miner.

I would like to use it again but I don't know if where I can make a profit while running it for 24/7. We have 0.12 cents per KW/h this is my current Electricity price but I think raspberry pi is not power-hungry.

Do you guys recommend anyways to make a profit with a Raspberry pi if mining or other ways to make bucks?

Why don’t you buy coins and mining using the pos algorithm.
There will be more profit and equipment will not become worthless. Try starting a node for example.
crairezx20 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2019, 10:12:47 AM

Why don’t you buy coins and mining using the pos algorithm?
There will be more profit and equipment will not become worthless. Try starting a node for example.
What POS coin do you recommend? Most of the POS coin are useless how do you think that coins can make a profit?

Honestly, I have some coins that I want like zcoin to run a master node or they call it znode but the required amount needs 1000 coins which is too expensive I can't afford the znode that is why I'm looking for another coin that has potential to grow I the future. POS is another alternative good for staking coins but which coin do you think will grow in the future or even just listed it to big exchanges because I believe if those new coin pow or pos coin listed on big exchanges they have a chance to grow. Am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong...
pishite

Activity: 966
Merit: 132

View Profile
November 09, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

What POS coin do you recommend? Most of the POS coin are useless how do you think that coins can make a profit?

Honestly, I have some coins that I want like zcoin to run a master node or they call it znode but the required amount needs 1000 coins which is too expensive I can't afford the znode that is why I'm looking for another coin that has potential to grow I the future. POS is another alternative good for staking coins but which coin do you think will grow in the future or even just listed it to big exchanges because I believe if those new coin pow or pos coin listed on big exchanges they have a chance to grow. Am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong...

As for the yield with pos coins, you are right.
But I keep a couple on my raspberry pi 3, in any case, I get an income from them, albeit scanty.
Coins that I mine:
Universe: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/universe/
Bitradio: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitradio/
You can also raise a node from these coins:
SibCoin: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/sibcoin/
Dash: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/dash/
But I'm not sure that there is enough power for a node.
Iamtutut

Activity: 1120
Merit: 131

View Profile
November 09, 2019, 06:30:29 PM

Turtlecoin can be mined with a rasp, they have "violetminer" to do it if I'm not mistaken.
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2019, 04:18:35 AM

Keep in mind that revenue from masternodes is not considered passive income. Also you need to be good with security to run a master node because since you need the coins in your possession you might always get hacked if your security isn't up to date.

The reason why it's not passive income is because you are not paid in BTC or fiat. You are paid in the underlying coin and looking at the alt coin index for the past year it has been pretty horrible.

So you would make a profit with your alt coin but if the value of that coin dropped with respect to BTC or fiat then you are losing money anyways .

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██