Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2017, 03:25:53 AM *
News: If the forum does not load normally for you, please send me a traceroute.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why so few immersion cooled custom builds/Mods?  (Read 1036 times)
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 1064

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 03:17:22 PM

What are the options for purchasing a finished system for immersion cooling?

I've only been able to find this product, and the company didn't want to talk to me about a small residential installation...

http://www.grcooling.com/carnotjet/
That ^^ looks rather nice and good to see they are not using Novec Wink
Tried to dl the FAQ on their thermal xfr fluid but must be one helluva big PDF -- over minute and still not loaded. That's a 'FAQ'?
Too bad and rather stupid that they won't talk to 'small' users...

-Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats http://bit.ly/1Qjt6lj
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
Shermand100

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 10:23:42 AM

I like what machine zero is saying about heating his pool  Smiley . I don't have one myself to heat, but certainly the idea of transferring the asic heat to a fluid makes it more transportable and re-usable in other applications. By not blowing dusty air around too maybe this could transfer heat into cleaner environments, (food prep areas like bakers proving room/cupboard etc) I dunno, like I said earlier I was just trying to encourage some discussion on the topic of why not and not so much how.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 12:44:52 PM

like I said earlier I was just trying to encourage some discussion on the topic of why not and not so much how.
Ah. That aspect has been extensively covered and recovered and recovered in other threads... Ya the heat could be reused in many areas needing a constant moderately to very warm temp. Quick re-cap:
Hydronic heating
Baking (proving rooms)
Food preservation (beef jerky)
Pools/spas

-Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats http://bit.ly/1Qjt6lj
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 01:57:48 PM

I've often thought it'd be handy to pipe my exhaust heat into a greenhouse or something so I could have fresh corn in January. Though realistically my shop leaks so much, it was all I could do to keep the place warm with miner heat and didn't have any to spare for vegetables.

Buying S5 boards, dead or alive
Currently in development - 20-120GH USB stick; 700GH 75W pod; 4TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
MachineZero

Activity: 59

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 05:56:22 PM

like I said earlier I was just trying to encourage some discussion on the topic of why not and not so much how.
Ah. That aspect has been extensively covered and recovered and recovered in other threads... Ya the heat could be reused in many areas needing a constant moderately to very warm temp. Quick re-cap:
Hydronic heating
Baking (proving rooms)
Food preservation (beef jerky)
Pools/spas

bitjerky.. has a great ring to it. people would probably buy for the novelty of tasting some petahash infused beef.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 06:51:36 PM

bitjerky.. has a great ring to it. people would probably buy for the novelty of tasting some petahash infused beef.
Love it and makes for a great post # 2,000 for me Cheesy

As with all the other applications, since the business is paying for power anyway to make the needed heat it would be to their advantage to offset the energy cost by mining. Say use the miners to supply around 75-80% of the heat needed and use a conventional heat source to provide the rest. That way miners stay running 24x7 and temp control is done by the conventional heater & temp controls.

italianMiner72

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 11:32:36 AM

Okay, I know at a glace this could come across as a stupid topic but I would really appreciate it if an articulate discussion came of this...

Cryptocurrency mining hardware is very expensive, and we should look after our rigs as best we can. After all, the build up of dust reduces air flow, raises temperatures, kills blades/miners.

However in my (limited) experience, the components that get killed on the boards aren't often the mining chips as you may think, but the often disregarded power regulating components. Mosfets, capacitors etc. Without this becoming a rant at some manufacturers that under-power their boards, over-stress the power supply circuitry, so it runs fast until it out lives the warranty. Some of us are doing this at a hobby level and don't have the high turnover of constantly getting the newest model of ASIC. We need to make our units last.

So my next point is regarding temperature. For one, people refer to overclocking ASICs and state the temperature that their interface is telling them the unit is at. Often this is wildly inaccurate, giving a surface temp of a PCB or once again measuring the mining chips and neglecting the Mosfets. Yes, when you overclock a mining chip it may raise in temp from 60 to 75, and you'd think with it's upper limit of 125 that'd be fine. But what's the temp of the Mosfets, capacitors etc we're stressing driving this equipment? As I said before it's not often the mining chip goes pop.

So my last point and the punchline really. The power supply components are often smaller than the mining chips in terms of surface area. They are also of unequal heights and this makes it very impractical to fit heatsinks. The designer places them in the airflow as best they can, but as I mentioned, with the enclosure around them this can be partly obstructed especially over time if not maintained. Is the answer not fluid cooled systems, immersion I mean, that give even heat exchange across every component? No matter how small?

I get that could be a logistical nightmare to ship. But I've seen very few hobbyists adapt their miners this way too. Am I missing something? Or if it ain't broken don't fix it?

But lets be honest on a technical level it would be no more complex than assembling a simple frame and dropping it in a fishtank of mineral oil. (A kind of gross simplification).
What about people that want to mine with an S7/S9 at home but can't put up with the noise?

A few thoughts.
Dan
Some interesting examples on youtube.

hi!!
nice to hear this topic again..
at the beginning i was fascinated about this kind of solution...
With the same power consumption you can push S9 frequency to the limit...
but then i have stopped all my project when i'm not been able to find a valid Novec fluid alternative...
here you can find a lot of data avout this fluids data:
http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/novec/products/product-catalog/?N=8708160&rt=r3

last time i have checked the price, was at 125eur for 500ml and 215eur for 1Lt..
too much expensive...

cryptotore

Activity: 159

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 09:34:20 PM

What are the options for purchasing a finished system for immersion cooling?

I've only been able to find this product, and the company didn't want to talk to me about a small residential installation...

http://www.grcooling.com/carnotjet/
That ^^ looks rather nice and good to see they are not using Novec Wink
Tried to dl the FAQ on their thermal xfr fluid but must be one helluva big PDF -- over minute and still not loaded. That's a 'FAQ'?
Too bad and rather stupid that they won't talk to 'small' users...

Whats wrong with Novec? Tongue I tried back in the day to buy Novec 7100 from 3M, but they wouldnt sell it to me!
I was planning a small scale immersion project.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.