Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:49:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice on making 8kw gpu mining system  (Read 626 times)
Antibuddha (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 07:02:43 PM
Last edit: April 13, 2017, 07:21:51 PM by Antibuddha

Hi, I am new here, and pretty new to mining. I just started a few weeks ago and now have 14 gpu's mining, and am happy with the results, even though after factoring in peak hour my electricity cost is $0.12/kwh.

Now I need some advice on how to set up a 8kw system. I welcome all advice including if people want to tell me if this is unprofitable, but I am doing this because of fun and I want to diversify a bit into something like cryptocurrency after doing poorly in other investments. I am okay with an initial investment of up to $75k for 20x rigs of 6-7 GPU's per rig, and know that even though it cost me ~$2850 per 7 GPU rig, there may be a lot of cost involved with electrical upgrade and cooling for a 20 rig system so can reduce number of rigs/size of electrical upgrade to still fit the $75k budget. If everything works out well and no big crash in coin values and no big increase in difficulty, maybe I will invest more into mining.

Right now this is what I am thinking. Please give me advice if any of my ideas are bad or I am missing anything.

Computer parts:
1070's at 50-65% TDP and overclocked core. Hunt for discounted aftermarket ones with good GPU and VRM cooling, and if available dual bearing fan ones, and GPU temp <75c and fan RPM <1250 RPM for longevity.
Discounted 6-7 GPU mobo's (I have tried MSI Carbon Pro 1151 and it works fine with 7 gpu's, and it was quite discounted vs. Z270 models since it is older model). I could really use advice here though, really don't know what is most suitable.
Cheapest Intel Celeron CPU underclocked that fits mobo.
Cheapest DDR3 or DDR4 RAM underclocked that fits mobo.
EVGA P2 Supernova 1200W Platinum PSU's (I recently ordered Seasonic Prime 1200W Platinum PSU's but am a little worried about Johnny Guru complaining about the 18 AWG cables being unacceptably thin in some cases). Please let me know if Seasonic will be fine, I like the 12 year warranty.
VER 006C PCIE USB 3.0 Risers. It's a little more expensive than VER 006, not sure if it is worth it, but price is good from Alibaba.
Ethernet Cables, router, and network switch I need advice on please Smiley I am thinking to start out with ~40 GPU's, then increase up to 72 (if 6 GPU per mobo) or 84 (if 7 GPU per mobo). I would really like to be able to remotely access each computer, and have them reset automatically if good electricity is available again.
Costco 60"x24"x72" rack with wheels, I believe this will fit 12 rigs each, or 72-84 GPU's each, and costs only $220+tax shipped. Will get a second rack if I decide to increase my capacity.

Electrical and cooling:
Need electrician to add electrical equipment and power distribution units in garage where I will be mining (garage is also where main service panel is located) for 20kw system maximum so I can expand up to 144-168 GPU's with a second rack in the future. Not sure if any very expensive equipment upgrades will be required for 20kw, can always go for 10kw upgrade instead if not feasible to do 20kw.
Need air conditioner and/or intake and exhaust fans installed in garage, and maybe add foam/wood panels to enclose the rack to control airflow of intake and exhaust. Can really use advice here, I don't know what is the best way to cool a rack with 8kw of equipment running or two racks with 16kw of equipment running. I am kind of hoping I can just do a filtered air intake fan and an air exhaust fan mounted to the wall, with the rack(s) in between the two with the racks enclosed so heat can be funneled out instead of leaching out into the garage. It is okay if the garage gets hot though, just wondering if enclosing the racks would be more effective.

Garage noise and temperature can be high, so long as computer parts are properly cooled, but would like GPU, AC, and intake/exhaust fans to run at reasonable RPM for longevity.

Surveillance equipment:
Can use lots of advice here, will probably set up a system that streams remotely, will keep working with power cut, and be able to warn via phone+computer apps when anything happens.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 08:46:11 PM
Last edit: April 14, 2017, 06:20:05 AM by deadsix

1070's at 50-65% TDP and overclocked core. Hunt for discounted aftermarket ones with good GPU and VRM cooling, and if available dual bearing fan ones, and GPU temp <75c and fan RPM <1250 RPM for longevity.
If you want to hit ROI fast, go with RX 470's, the cheapest you can find. The GTX 1070 is better once Ethereum goers to POS, but is waay more expensive so will always ROI later.
Discounted 6-7 GPU mobo's (I have tried MSI Carbon Pro 1151 and it works fine with 7 gpu's, and it was quite discounted vs. Z270 models since it is older model). I could really use advice here though, really don't know what is most suitable.
MSI Carbon Pro is an excellent choice, stick to it, it is not recommended to go over 7 cards per system anyways.
Cheapest Intel Celeron CPU underclocked that fits mobo.
Just get a G4400
Cheapest DDR3 or DDR4 RAM underclocked that fits mobo.
With that CPU/Mobo get Corsair Valueselect DDR4 4Gb
EVGA P2 Supernova 1200W Platinum PSU's (I recently ordered Seasonic Prime 1200W Platinum PSU's but am a little worried about Johnny Guru complaining about the 18 AWG cables being unacceptably thin in some cases). Please let me know if Seasonic will be fine, I like the 12 year warranty.
Get the cheaper of the two, I have a couple of Seasonic 1250 GOLD's and they run perfectly fine.
VER 006C PCIE USB 3.0 Risers. It's a little more expensive than VER 006, not sure if it is worth it, but price is good from Alibaba.
Either is fine really, it doesn't even matter.
Ethernet Cables, router, and network switch I need advice on please Smiley I am thinking to start out with ~40 GPU's, then increase up to 72 (if 6 GPU per mobo) or 84 (if 7 GPU per mobo).
I would really like to be able to remotely access each computer, and have them reset automatically if good electricity is available again.
Get a cheap 16 port unmanaged switch.
I am kind of hoping I can just do a filtered air intake fan and an air exhaust fan mounted to the wall, with the rack(s) in between the two with the racks enclosed so heat can be funneled out instead of leaching out into the garage. It is okay if the garage gets hot though, just wondering if enclosing the racks would be more effective.
Creating an air funnel - moving air regularly is the best way to cool mining rigs. Enclosed racks are a must for large number of rigs.
Surveillance equipment:
Can use lots of advice here, will probably set up a system that streams remotely, will keep working with power cut, and be able to warn via phone+computer apps when anything happens.
Waste of money. Use claymore's mining monitoring sw or some of the other free alternatives, they will alert you over email when a system hangs. If you want complete hands free operations, check out Tytanik's Simple Rig Resetter device.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
Antibuddha (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 09:13:14 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. Could you give me some tips on creating an air funnel? Something I'm wondering if I could cover a rack in polystyrene foam, then attach a inline fan duct for intake and also for exhaust, maybe create a loop that intakes air from outdoors at the bottom of the rack, and exhausts hot air back outdoors at the top of the rack. I have no experience cooling things like this so no idea if this is even a workable idea lol.
deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 06:22:16 AM

Thanks so much for the advice. Could you give me some tips on creating an air funnel? Something I'm wondering if I could cover a rack in polystyrene foam, then attach a inline fan duct for intake and also for exhaust, maybe create a loop that intakes air from outdoors at the bottom of the rack, and exhausts hot air back outdoors at the top of the rack. I have no experience cooling things like this so no idea if this is even a workable idea lol.

This Idea is exactly how DC's have been doing it for decades Smiley but its far too complicated to execute on a budget.
Just create a simple tarp partition connecting the exhaust to the rear end of the machines, partitioning off the rest so that the air that gets exhausted out doesn't enter back into the garage.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: