Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:28:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloudsmash.io - Decentralized VPS Cloud Open To The Public  (Read 3365 times)
sunbreak (OP)

Activity: 107
Merit: 30

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 05:01:32 AM

i want 1 VPS at Manchester, UK - Hurricane Electric, M247

i will pay you via BTC

Thanks

We only have a point of presence in Manchester to relay our traffic into our network, hypervisors could be located anywhere.

However that does bring up an interesting point, I'll see if I can start maintaining a list of hypervisor locations.

Currently they are;

• Fremont, California USA
  • Portland, Oregon USA
  • Berkeley Springs, West Virginia USA
  • Ashburn, Virginia USA
  • Amsterdam, NL

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 05:39:54 AM

Glad to hear that this project is still going! I thought for a bit that it was vaporware since I had not heard of any updates about it since your previous post.  Do you have any sort of general timeline for the project so as to know when we can expect it to open to the public or have an open-beta, sort of? I have honestly never thought or seen anything like this before making decentralized VPSs and would love to see how such a technology could fare in a near-production environment. I do not have any specific host services in mind, but I do wish to see what can be accomplished with it.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
sunbreak (OP)

Activity: 107
Merit: 30

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 02:10:24 AM

Glad to hear that this project is still going! I thought for a bit that it was vaporware since I had not heard of any updates about it since your previous post.  Do you have any sort of general timeline for the project so as to know when we can expect it to open to the public or have an open-beta, sort of?

The summer was a pretty hectic one. In addition to developing Cloudsmash, I also run a small datacenter called JeffColo.

In 2017, we decided to reorg and expand our datacenter into a larger space. We have had significant delays getting the new facility online. Before the move I suspected there would be problems, so in July I moved all the Oregon Cloudsmash gear down to Hurricane Electric in Fremont, CA.

The migration to Fremont was an excellent test for the resiliency of the mesh. Multiple peering points were dropped, vm's were migrated to alternate sites, hardware was packed up and driven to it's new home. Once back online, we established our new peering and began to migrate vm's back. It all worked perfectly, with zero customer downtime.

The move also allowed us to test using a virtualized equipment stack. This means that we have no physcial routers, firewalls, etc. Our servers connect to simple switches and rely on virtualized routers to establish upstream peering with HE.net. We received a 10 Gbps network drop, so we now get to validate networking performance beyond the gigabit threshold. Recently we have been able to get our virtual router instances to forward at the full 10 Gbps rate despite running on Westmere hardware from 2010.

Quote from: btcton
Do you have any sort of general timeline for the project so as to know when we can expect it to open to the public or have an open-beta, sort of?

The previous beta round quota had been filled and I've been accepting feedback for the last several months. There have been small improvements here and there, mainly surrounding network performance and reliability.

Recently we began the process for hiring an architecture engineer. The selection process has been going well and it looks like we may have our first Cloudsmash developer coming onboard soon. I expect to have another consumer beta round in late Spring 2018 and hopefully will do a very limited alpha round for providers in mid-Summer 2018.

I have honestly never thought or seen anything like this before making decentralized VPSs and would love to see how such a technology could fare in a near-production environment. I do not have any specific host services in mind, but I do wish to see what can be accomplished with it.

I had not either and was frustrated that it didn't exist. It's certainly not vaporware, at this time it's a well tested stable platform that desperately needs a good web interface to interact with consumers and providers. Cloudsmash now has 14 pop's and several hypervisor locations, the network has experienced zero downtime since I brought it up in August 2016. It's kind of a living, breathing thing.
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 07:37:50 AM

Glad to hear that this project is still going! I thought for a bit that it was vaporware since I had not heard of any updates about it since your previous post.  Do you have any sort of general timeline for the project so as to know when we can expect it to open to the public or have an open-beta, sort of?

The summer was a pretty hectic one. In addition to developing Cloudsmash, I also run a small datacenter called JeffColo.

In 2017, we decided to reorg and expand our datacenter into a larger space. We have had significant delays getting the new facility online. Before the move I suspected there would be problems, so in July I moved all the Oregon Cloudsmash gear down to Hurricane Electric in Fremont, CA.

The migration to Fremont was an excellent test for the resiliency of the mesh. Multiple peering points were dropped, vm's were migrated to alternate sites, hardware was packed up and driven to it's new home. Once back online, we established our new peering and began to migrate vm's back. It all worked perfectly, with zero customer downtime.

The move also allowed us to test using a virtualized equipment stack. This means that we have no physcial routers, firewalls, etc. Our servers connect to simple switches and rely on virtualized routers to establish upstream peering with HE.net. We received a 10 Gbps network drop, so we now get to validate networking performance beyond the gigabit threshold. Recently we have been able to get our virtual router instances to forward at the full 10 Gbps rate despite running on Westmere hardware from 2010.

Do you have any sort of general timeline for the project so as to know when we can expect it to open to the public or have an open-beta, sort of?

This all sounds awesome and I am overly glad that this is alive and well. As always, I will be looking forward to more information regarding the service and how it develops and scales. I still don't see any official channels or any relevant results on Google or any other search engine, but if there are any then don't hesitate to let me know. I would be very interested in following the development of any technologies related to distributed scaling of systems and yours seems to be a major step in that direction.
The previous beta round quota had been filled and I've been accepting feedback for the last several months. There have been small improvements here and there, mainly surrounding network performance and reliability.

Recently we began the process for hiring an architecture engineer. The selection process has been going well and it looks like we may have our first Cloudsmash developer coming onboard soon. I expect to have another consumer beta round in late Spring 2018 and hopefully will do a very limited alpha round for providers in mid-Summer 2018.

I have honestly never thought or seen anything like this before making decentralized VPSs and would love to see how such a technology could fare in a near-production environment. I do not have any specific host services in mind, but I do wish to see what can be accomplished with it.

I had not either and was frustrated that it didn't exist. It's certainly not vaporware, at this time it's a well tested stable platform that desperately needs a good web interface to interact with consumers and providers. Cloudsmash now has 14 pop's and several hypervisor locations, the network has experienced zero downtime since I brought it up in August 2016. It's kind of a living, breathing thing.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
bitcoin-GPU

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2022, 10:01:41 PM

Is this still alive?

https://ownbitcoins.net My Bitcoin faucet
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: