Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:44:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr. Evil Paper Wallet Generator  (Read 1403 times)
Niggawatts (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 06:44:39 PM
Last edit: April 28, 2013, 03:52:29 AM by Niggawatts

Located here: http://evilwallet.wordpress.com/

https://i.imgur.com/Bz2N0LB.jpg

You can see the difference between my code and the bitaddress.org source code from their github repo by using an online utility such as: http://www.comparemyfiles.com/ to compare the two files and see for yourself quite quickly.

My source code: https://github.com/obesityspray/Dr.-Evil-Paper-Wallet

Bitaddress.org github repo: https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org

I hope you enjoy Smiley

Direct link to SVG file (Includes backside of bill):

https://googledrive.com/host/0Bxk7HN7rDLxGUGlNcllVUzJYUms/Final.svg

Direct link to XCF file (Includes backside of bill):

https://googledrive.com/host/0Bxk7HN7rDLxGUGlNcllVUzJYUms/Final.xcf

Base images can be found here:

http://imgur.com/ymfNCUE

http://imgur.com/mjbrQ27

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Niggawatts (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 12:44:06 AM

I would love to hear any suggestions Smiley
Niggawatts (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 02:51:55 AM

How could I prove myself to be a reputable source for paper wallet generation? Does anyone have any ideas? Everything in this project is open source, but I'm unaware of another way to add another extra layer of trust, I would love some feed back.

Thank you
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:56:05 AM

How could I prove myself to be a reputable source for paper wallet generation? Does anyone have any ideas? Everything in this project is open source, but I'm unaware of another way to add another extra layer of trust, I would love some feed back.

Thank you
Well, your forum handle is "Niggawatts."
Niggawatts (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 03:20:12 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2013, 03:38:34 AM by Niggawatts

What would you suggest as an alternative? Anything else beyond a name?
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:42:52 AM

What would you suggest as an alternative? Anything else beyond a name?

Maybe create a offline downloadable version?

Even though your site is trusted, I don't think its a good idea getting people into the idea of trusting sites for this type of thing, we need more people to become more paranoid. So many people have had their coins stolen. Getting people used to these sites is a bad idea I think.

EDIT:
In fact I prefer people building Bitcoin apps as perhaps python code? So the code can be investigated even before its run. I'm not a fan of running compiled code on my computer where my Bitcoins are.
Niggawatts (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 05:26:32 PM

That's how all paper wallets work do they not? This wallet works offline just as bitaddress.org would

In fact I prefer people building Bitcoin apps as perhaps python code? So the code can be investigated even before its run. I'm not a fan of running compiled code on my computer where my Bitcoins are.

Although I agree with this statement, it can't really apply to this project, it's based on bitaddress.org source code which is already a reputable paper wallet generator, had I developed it in python from scratch I'm sure I would have been met by magnitudes more skepticism and poor adoption rate, and I probably couldn't count on you to come by and verify my code Tongue
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 05:58:24 PM

That's how all paper wallets work do they not? This wallet works offline just as bitaddress.org would

I meant make the generator downloadable and offline, All these online generators get people used to making addresses online. I know the generator is client side but it gets people into a bad habit, especially non-technical people.

Although I agree with this statement, it can't really apply to this project, it's based on bitaddress.org source code which is already a reputable paper wallet generator, had I developed it in python from scratch I'm sure I would have been met by magnitudes more skepticism and poor adoption rate, and I probably couldn't count on you to come by and verify my code Tongue

If you made a version in python I could very quickly determine if it was sending private keys to a web server! Or if the generation algorithm was tampered with.

People can also verify these online paper-wallet generators but maybe I'm just being really paranoid, all users of these services need to get into a habit of either reading the source or trusting a service.

For people to trust you, I think you need more reputation. Its a chicken and egg issue, you just need to become more well known in the community.

(Also ignoring paranoid freaks like me is probably a good idea, lol, i'm too skeptical of anything that can record private keys)
Niggawatts (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 01:51:35 AM

I meant make the generator downloadable and offline, All these online generators get people used to making addresses online. I know the generator is client side but it gets people into a bad habit, especially non-technical people.

Oh okay I see what you mean, make it the default option. I see your point here, but speaking from my own experience easing into bitcoin and by proxy paper wallets, I found it kind of useful to have that quick and dirty instant gratification of seeing how the finished product would look like, then I got serious and took the proper precautionary measures of saving the file, disconnecting the internet, etc.. to generate my person wallet the first time. However, you absolutely right, alot of people probably wouldn't take those precautions. So I guess I would argue that it takes away time from the experience of seasoned users that just want to see it in action, which is my target demographic, but that's just my opinion, I could be completely wrong.

If you made a version in python I could very quickly determine if it was sending private keys to a web server! Or if the generation algorithm was tampered with.

People can also verify these online paper-wallet generators but maybe I'm just being really paranoid, all users of these services need to get into a habit of either reading the source or trusting a service.

For people to trust you, I think you need more reputation. Its a chicken and egg issue, you just need to become more well known in the community.

(Also ignoring paranoid freaks like me is probably a good idea, lol, i'm too skeptical of anything that can record private keys)

I'm not sure how I could use python with this project, how would I go about porting my source code to provide that option for you py heads to verify?
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 02:47:31 AM

After looking through the code in more detail, porting to python would be possible but not really worth it, considering the entire program is in one html file its pretty lean as it is. It is easy to use offline, I guess the main issue you have is reputation and trust, but I am sure that will come if you keep up with the projects.

Good luck my friend and build reputation!
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:51:57 AM

lets face it, you may have Bruce Willis but people dont trust their money with "niggas" cmon son

even niggas put their money in TCf bank or what have you 5/3 bank idgaf

Niggawatts (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 07:28:00 PM

After looking through the code in more detail, porting to python would be possible but not really worth it, considering the entire program is in one html file its pretty lean as it is. It is easy to use offline, I guess the main issue you have is reputation and trust, but I am sure that will come if you keep up with the projects.

Good luck my friend and build reputation!

Thank you for your input, It is very much appreciated Smiley
zemario

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 07:33:31 PM

One million bitcoins!!! da da daaaaa!
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:07:07 PM

A button that says "display private keys of last 10 visitors" Smiley

Followed of course by a "your bitcoins are being converted... " progress bar. 

Smiley  Nice paper wallet!
Niggawatts (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 07:10:22 PM

A button that says "display private keys of last 10 visitors" Smiley

Followed of course by a "your bitcoins are being converted... " progress bar. 

Smiley  Nice paper wallet!

Haha! Thank you Smiley
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 12:49:00 AM

Nice work!

Going to use this when I give bitcoins as wedding presents ... I have 3 weddings to attend to this month, all accepting bitcoins.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
Niggawatts (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 05:05:05 AM

Nice work!

Going to use this when I give bitcoins as wedding presents ... I have 3 weddings to attend to this month, all accepting bitcoins.

Wow! I'm honored! Thanks for checking it out Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: