Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:08:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dropbox  (Read 1085 times)
Quantus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:16:50 PM

Can you put an encrypted file inside another encrypted file?

I am running Bitcoin with the -datadir= thing to keep all my files under Truecrypt.
And I want to back them up on my DropBox account. That i encrypt with Truecrypt. So it would be 2 layers of Truecrypt and any Encryption Dropbox uses.
Would this work? Huh

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 06:24:22 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2011, 07:07:35 PM by myrkul

in a word, Yes.

PIE (Pre Internet Encryption) is the way to go.

Won't help you if you get a Trojan, but this will keep the wallet safe from loss.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
RambJoe

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:54:03 PM

Pretty sure files aren't encrypted on Dropbox's servers, maybe encrypted on the journy.

I'd gpg -c the wallet.dat and use a strong password before trusting other people with it.
Rob P.

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 12:32:41 AM

Pretty sure files aren't encrypted on Dropbox's servers, maybe encrypted on the journy.

I'd gpg -c the wallet.dat and use a strong password before trusting other people with it.

He said, "And I want to back them up on my DropBox account. That i encrypt with Truecrypt."

He has a Truecrypt volume on Dropbox.  So HIS DropBox is encrypted (no one else's is, technically).

--

If you like what I've written here, consider tipping the messenger:
1GZu4CtHa6ai8iWoWiVFxV5VVoNte4SkoG

If you don't like what I've written, send me a Tip and I'll stop talking.
mantel

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 12:44:22 AM

http://www.truecrypt.org/hiddenvolume

The principle is that a TrueCrypt volume is created within another TrueCrypt volume (within the free space on the volume). Even when the outer volume is mounted, it should be impossible to prove whether there is a hidden volume within it or not*, because free space on any TrueCrypt volume is always filled with random data when the volume is created** and no part of the (dismounted) hidden volume can be distinguished from random data.

TL;DR: Truecrypt website says yes.
opensourcerer

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 12:49:18 AM

Encrypted file inside of encrypted file sounds the most like, not including Inception Tongue, a hidden volume ? so it's probably possible
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 02:20:31 AM

Dropbox does its own encryption (Which it has the key to unlock) to prevent unauthorized access of stuff on the interwebs.

A truecrypt volume in his dropbox folder would be treated just like any other file, and encrypted again. Encrypting already encrypted data doesn't damage it.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
BitCoinBarter

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:27:53 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2011, 07:25:37 PM by BitCoinBarter

Q,

Just another confirmation.

What you want to do is possible and advisable.

As myrkul states, "...PIE (Pre Internet Encryption) is the way to go..."

Translation. Encrypt your things before you store them online. That way you will be safe (assuming you have a strong password/pass phrase)., if that site is ever breached (from a hacker and/or rouge employee).

Also as myrkul points out. Dropbox's encryption should not be solely relied upon (well he didn't say that, however that is what I took out of it  Wink). It they are breached, Dropbox has the keys for their encryption.

Think about it. It they are hacked, the hackers will take the data and the keys.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: