Bitcoin Forum
September 19, 2024, 09:51:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-04-19] Bitcoin Mining Pool ViaBTC Says No to Segwit  (Read 563 times)
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 06:11:42 PM

Bitcoin Mining Pool ViaBTC Says No to Segwit

Following a previous announcement by F2Pool that they are now to signal for segregated witnesses (segwit), ViaBTC has publicly reiterated they do not support segwit for a number of reasons. The bitcoin mining pool says:
Bitcoin has been running at full capacity for months with numerous proposals put forward and rejected by miners. The latest ones are segwit, currently at around 32% hashrate share, and Bitcoin Unlimited which stands just under 40%. Segwit’s main aim is to send transactions off-chain and onto second layers, such as the Lightning Network or sidechains. ViaBTC says such transactions “are NOT equal to Bitcoin’s peer-to-peer on-chain transactions” before adding that “LN will also lead to big payment “centers”, and this is against Bitcoin’s initial design as a peer-to-peer payment system.”

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-pool-viabtc-no-segwit/
Qartada

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2017, 07:50:09 PM

SegWit != Lightning Network.  The LN is just a secondary addition which could happen in the future if it's developed enough to be fit for purpose.  It'll always be optional even after it's added, so people could just do onchain transactions anyway.  SegWit's main aim isn't necessarily to push transactions offchain.

richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 08:15:34 PM

ViaBTC won't have any other option than to start supporting SegWit when other pools start doing so. It's either them just risking mining worthless blocks that aren't being supported by the rest of the network, or they just go with the majority and continue mining valid blocks, and thus don't jeopardise their operations. Pools make decisions based on the financial gains, which basically means that even though they may not like something, they will jump on board anyway.
jackci123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 02:33:39 AM

Scalability in crypto is even worse then politics ...one take a position and the other just worship the opposite... I am not in favor of block size increasing I see bitcoin more of a store value that you move from time to time u know I am not even for paying daily stuff with it because it s a waste of time and money ...on the other hand I believe Seg and light could be tested on litecoin so we can keep bitcoin as a store value and for those who wanna travel blockchain can do it with LITECOIN it was created to be like that from the beggining
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 03:29:51 AM

ViaBTC wasn't that owned by antpool owner as well as few other pools? right now Core has 64% of total hashrate and unlimited has 35% and now core  is already the majority only if the code would've allowed it we could already be at much lower fees and bigger blocks and higher price.
I think they are not going to understand that if bitcoin continues like this we'll never get anywhere.
They don't understand BU hard fork will never happen.
They don't understand POW will not be changed because ASICs would have needed to vote for it to take place.

What they understand though is more money, having asicboost ready to mine miners in production lines being manufactured to further mine bitcoins with 20% advantage over the rest of the network of miners.

🖤😏
Qatuca

Activity: 184
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 02:53:33 PM

ViaBTC wasn't that owned by antpool owner as well as few other pools? right now Core has 64% of total hashrate and unlimited has 35% and now core  is already the majority only if the code would've allowed it we could already be at much lower fees and bigger blocks and higher price.
I think they are not going to understand that if bitcoin continues like this we'll never get anywhere.
They don't understand BU hard fork will never happen.
They don't understand POW will not be changed because ASICs would have needed to vote for it to take place.

What they understand though is more money, having asicboost ready to mine miners in production lines being manufactured to further mine bitcoins with 20% advantage over the rest of the network of miners.

The BU has more at any time frame

https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/pools?resolution=24h

Block Size Vote   Blocks   %
  BU          58     41.43%
  segwit   40   28.57%
  default   31   22.14%
  8MB   10   7.14%
  BIP109   1   0.71%

https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/pools?resolution=1w

Block Size Vote   Blocks   %
  BU          366   37.08%
  segwit   334   33.84%
  default   234   23.71%
  8MB   50   5.07%
  BIP109   3   0.30%

https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/pools?resolution=1m

lock Size Vote   Blocks   %
  BU           1,664   36.27%
  segwit   1,407   30.67%
  default   1,261   27.49%
  8MB   233   5.08%
  BIP109   23   0.50%
veleten
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 04:15:22 PM

huh,how is that news?
Viabtc owner has been such a vocal supporter of BU that it would make no sense for him to support Segwit
just read his statement,if you are using their "accelerator" you must have stumbled upon it:
they consider BU to be the only solution for the current problems and are actively propagating their point of view

▄▄████▄▄
      ▄▄███▀    ▀███▄▄
   ▄████████▄▄▄▄████████▄
  ▀██████████████████████▀
▐█▄▄ ▀▀████▀    ▀████▀▀ ▄▄██
▐█████▄▄ ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ ▄▄██▀  █
▐██ ▀████▄▄ ▀██▀ ▄▄████  ▄██
▐██  ███████▄  ▄████████████
▐██  █▌▐█ ▀██  ██████▀  ████
▐██  █▌▐█  ██  █████  ▄█████
 ███▄ ▌▐█  ██  ████████████▀
  ▀▀████▄ ▄██  ██▀  ████▀▀