Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:52:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you short bitcoins yet?  (Read 1167 times)
meangreen (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:28:18 PM

If you cant why are there bears? They cant make any money if they cant short. I guess they like being dicks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:28:42 PM

I guess they like being dicks.

LOL

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
Frozenlock

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:29:21 PM

Well, you can hold USDs if you don't want to short but still think the BTC's value is going to go down.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 09:31:33 PM

You can short on margin at BitFinex.

A great way to make money if you are a bear.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:32:54 PM

A great way to make lose money if you are a bear.

FTFY

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Brushan

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:33:01 PM

The lending rate on BTC versus USD shows how much these bears put their money where their mouth is.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:33:53 PM

Icbit.se is also an option

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:34:31 PM

No, coinlab will let you though. I thinking shorting will be great for bitcoin as it will add a bit of stabilitiy to the price.
arepo

Activity: 448

this statement is false

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:42:11 PM

did just this and profited off of this panic. i guess that means i like dicks or something? tell me more, OP.

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
meangreen (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:38:53 PM

did just this and profited off of this panic. i guess that means i like dicks or something? tell me more, OP.

lol. panic? what panic?

i mean the people that are saying crash crash crash are saying it because they are dicks and they arent even shorting it. how did you short it? did mt gox lend you the coins?
dandirk

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:47:36 PM

ha ha ha if dicks were money... I would honestly consider it... Don't tell me you wouldn't think long and hard about an indecent proposal... actually for a mil it wouldn't' take too much thinking.... I'm not too proud to toss salad for a mil.
Kazu

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:49:19 PM

If you cant why are there bears? They cant make any money if they cant short. I guess they like being dicks.

See my sig. Then notice everybody's lack of balls to actually do it.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
Ichthyo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:51:20 PM

how did you short it? did mt gox lend you the coins?

to repeat what others have already posted: Currently there are two well-known ways to really short bitcoin:
  • bitfinex offers you Contracts-for-Differenct
  • you can sell futures on Icebit.se

Pls. note also that many people use the term "shorting" sloppily and actually just mean to sell BTC and wait for a lower price to buy back. Really "shorting" means to engage into some specific kind of contract, where you actively win from falling BTC prices. And this typically uses some kind of borrowed money (leverage).

Having said that, actually shorting BTC can be a dangerous game. It is difficult to lock into any gains, especially when you do it in the way of day trading. The variant using futures is a bit more manageable, but there too is the problem how to get out of your position. Thus, actually not really shorting but just selling and buying back at a lower rate could be a more viable way of making money from price moves over the timespan of some days.
arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:53:20 PM

lol. panic? what panic?

i mean the people that are saying crash crash crash are saying it because they are dicks and they arent even shorting it. how did you short it? did mt gox lend you the coins?

the panic selling that just happened...? are you new?

they are 'shorting' it. they sold their coins, they're short bitcoins. they want to buy in lower.

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
deltanine

Activity: 231

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:54:02 PM

lol. panic? what panic?

They aren't really dicks.  They are bottom feeders just looking to make a few extra bucks.  They are rooting for the price to go down so they can buy and then hope that the price goes up so that they can sell and make a measly $5-10 per coin.  They really believe that the FUD they spread here is affecting the price.

I know no one is shorting at bitfinex even though there are funds available on loan to short with.  So they aren't really looking to make real money.

Freedom is a state of mind, and then Bitcoin comes along.....
-S4VV4S
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:55:31 PM

lol. panic? what panic?

the panic selling that just happened...? are you new?

they are 'shorting' it. they sold their coins, they're short bitcoins. they want to buy in lower.

In before someone corrects you for the next 3 pages.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
Kazu

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:57:16 PM

lol. panic? what panic?

They are rooting for the price to go down so they can buy and then hope that the price goes up so that they can sell and make a measly $5-10 per coin.  
Thats not bad at all. An extra $10 per coin allows you to increase your bitcoin position by almost 10% in the long run. Thats significant. Also its easy to make much more than $10 per coin.

meangreen (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:03:19 PM

i read your link, but that isnt shorting. if I bet you 10 coins and the price is $150 and it goes down to $120 and i cover you owe $300 correct?
arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:13:59 PM
Last edit: April 25, 2013, 11:26:00 PM by arepo

In before someone corrects you for the next 3 pages.

yes, please, bitcointalk. i know how you feel about this. spare me the wrath of the semantics police Roll Eyes

Kazu

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:17:29 PM

i read your link, but that isnt shorting. if I bet you 10 coins and the price is $150 and it goes down to $120 and i cover you owe $300 correct?

It would depend on the bet you'd made. But for the "normal" bets, I'd owe you 10 coins (plus your initial bet, obviously).

It isn't exactly shorting, its closer to a binary option. The only way I could do shorting though is if I somehow had some way of causing a margin call, and even that would be hard considering the insane volatility currently associated with bitcoin. I suppose I could do a "Contract For Difference" with the potential for margin calls if you really wanted, though. I figured people probably wouldn't like it as much because it isn't quite as "exciting" and requires them to trust me with more money to get the same risk/reward.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: