Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:05:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitshares vs Waves Platform  (Read 4469 times)
JPDiaz85 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 04:31:41 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the crypto world and have been looking into investing into the idea of a decentralized exchange. I've been doing some research and I can't seem to understand the major differences between Bitshares and the Waves Platform. Could anyone explain why one would consider investing in one and not the other? What are the pros and cons of each? Will it be possible to trade stocks, commodities, currencies, or cryptocurrencies on theses in the future?

Thanks in advance!
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 05:05:24 AM

On the Waves DEX you trade IOUs setup and stored by a gatekeeper which utilizes multisignature addresses, and you can deposit/withdraw actual BTC, etc., but the trading is done in IOUs. Since you are trading IOUs, there is the chance of default. It has a nice easy you use and pretty wallet, and decent volume for just being released earlier this month.

On the Bitshares DEX you trade autonomous derivatives that use free market dynamics combined with price feeds to track the value of their real-life counterparts. There is some systematic risks involved with Smartcoins and you need to (at least temporarily) go through gatekeepers to get on and off the exchange. It does have decent volume though, and can handle more transactions per second than almost any other coin.

On the Blocknet DEX you trade the actual assets with no intermediaries (BTC, LTC, etc), but you will have to download the full blockchain of each coin you trade on the DEX and have each wallet running simultaneously. It is still in alpha, available on the test net only, and will probably not have any significant volume for some time.

Pick your poison.  Cheesy
Mallyx

Activity: 1138
Merit: 574

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 06:39:02 AM

Waves DEX has Matcher which can complete orders in a real time.
You can create and trade anyToken VS anyToken.
You don't need to download the blockchain.

The new UI is coming soon:

mynhpark

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 07:21:10 AM
Last edit: April 20, 2017, 07:42:26 AM by mynhpark

Both DEX options (Bitshares & Waves) are worth trying; it may be the case you would prefer one over the other for the specific things you do. The only way to find out is to get involved and start using them right away.

For investing keep in mind that the Opelender Decentralised Conglomerate is a well-planned structure (based on Bitshares platform), which is getting a lot of attention lately. In addition, Bitshares Munich IVS is a blockchain company with many quite innovative products supporting the growing Bitshares (BTS) environment. Actually, you could invest in both Waves & BTS DEX.

It might be wise to follow up the Lykke exchange project as well for the possibility you mention to trade stocks, commodities, currencies, or cryptocurrencies in the future; you might end up with good Lykke (I mean good luck).

On the other hand, it is very nice to see the new Waves DEX user interface (UI). It looks quite appealing for mass adoption.  

░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄░░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░░░░░░░░▄████████████▄░░▄████████████▄
░░░░░░░░█▄▀█████████████████████████▀▄█
░░░░░░░░███▄▀█████████████████████▀▄███
░░░░░░░░█████▄▀█████████████████▀▄█████
░░░░░░░░███████▄▄▀███████████▀▄▄███████
░░░░░░░░██████████▄▄▀█████▀▄▄██████████
░░░░░░░░█████████████▄▀█▀▄█████████████
░░░░░░░░▀▀█████████████░░████████████▀▀
░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████████░░██████████▀▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀████████░░████████▀▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███████░░███████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░███████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████░░██████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███░░███▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░█▀

TEMCO

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██████████
█░░░░░░░░█
█░▀▀▀▀▀▀░█
█░▀▀▀▀▀▀░█
█░▀▀▀▀▀▀░█
█░▀▀▀░░░░█
██████████

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀░░██
░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀░░░░░█▌
░░░░░▄▄█▀▀░░░▄▀░░░██
░░▄▄█▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▐█
░██░░░░░░▄██▀░░░█▌
░▀▀█████▀░░░░░░██
░░░██▀▀█▄▄░░░░█▌
░░░█▄░░██▀▀▀▄██
░░░█▄█▀
housebtc

Activity: 588
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 07:27:53 AM

On the Waves DEX you trade IOUs setup and stored by a gatekeeper which utilizes multisignature addresses, and you can deposit/withdraw actual BTC, etc., but the trading is done in IOUs. Since you are trading IOUs, there is the chance of default. It has a nice easy you use and pretty wallet, and decent volume for just being released earlier this month.

On the Bitshares DEX you trade autonomous derivatives that use free market dynamics combined with price feeds to track the value of their real-life counterparts. There is some systematic risks involved with Smartcoins and you need to (at least temporarily) go through gatekeepers to get on and off the exchange. It does have decent volume though, and can handle more transactions per second than almost any other coin.

On the Blocknet DEX you trade the actual assets with no intermediaries (BTC, LTC, etc), but you will have to download the full blockchain of each coin you trade on the DEX and have each wallet running simultaneously. It is still in alpha, available on the test net only, and will probably not have any significant volume for some time.

Pick your poison.  Cheesy

Both Waves and Bitshares use IOU tokens, they have depend on gateways to hold the tokens and the only true decentralised exchange is Bitsquare.
sotoshihero

Activity: 850
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 07:30:53 AM

Both DEX options (Bitshares & Waves) are worth trying; it may be the case you would prefer one over the other for the specific things you do. The only way to find out is to get involved and start using them right away.

For investing keep in mind that the Opelender Decentralised Conglomerate is a well-planned structure (based on Bitshares platform) which is getting a lot of attention lately. Same as with Bitshares Munich IVS, a company with many innovative products supporting the Bitshares (BTS) environment. Actually, you could invest in both Waves & BTS DEX.

It might be wise to follow up the Lykke exchange project as well for the possibility you mention to trade stocks, commodities, currencies, or cryptocurrencies in the future; you might end up with good Lykke ( I mean good luck).

On the other hand, it is very nice to see the new Waves DEX user interface (UI); it looks quite appealing for mass adoption. 

So far I like the waves DEX platform. It  pretty neat and easy to navigate. I'm am still learning some interfaces and its OK for me. Though some of the features are disable, some icons  I think is under construction but you can see its smooth to roam around the site.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 12:38:43 PM

Both Waves and Bitshares use IOU tokens

Actually, you made me realize that my description of Bitshares is selling it short.

Yes, both Waves and Bitshares use IOUs. But Bitshares has both IOUs in the form of Open Ledger tokens and derivatives in the form of Smartcoins. The latter is much less like an IOU than the former, because its value autonomously secured by smart contracts on the blockchain, and IOUs are secured by gateways using multisig addresses. There's a big difference there.

I agree Blocknet is probably the most decentralized, but it is still a ways out. Initially you will need to download the full blockchain of the coins you trade until support for SPV wallets is integrated. That could take a while. Then, it will still struggle for volume once it becomes a reality. It takes DEXs a long time to ramp up volume. Bitshares' current volume took 3 years to build. https://coinmarketcap.com/exchanges/bitshares-asset-exchange/

I can't find any market data on Waves' exchange...

They all have their own strengths and weaknesses. Only time will tell what option will win out, or if a new one will emerge that crushes all three of them. Smiley
Mallyx

Activity: 1138
Merit: 574

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 01:55:32 PM

I can't find any market data on Waves' exchange...

Not yet,
the DEX released about 1 week ago and is still minimalist. But working as intended (= instant DEX).
The next version should provide all the mandatory data (volume, changes, etc).
And we still have to wait for the services (like Coinmarketcap) to collect the data.
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 02:14:56 PM

All have something better than centralised market making exchanges to offer.

From them all I will go for blocknet once it is out. People are getting sick and tired of the insider dealing of the centralised exchanges.

I invested in all of these a bit and don't mind which we go for. However blocknet will 100% be my favourite once its is working as it is planned to work eventually. I just like concept more than the others by far. Once it is complete and people get used to it then I think they will love it.

If you want a fully trustless arena for crypto then dex are essential.

Any of those are okay but a person i have learned to listen to over the years says atomic trade is the way to go and that is blocknet's solution.

As always holding a bit of all of them can't hurt can it.

Also i think komodo is aiming at their version of a dex so can throw them into the mix too perhaps.

coinling

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 12:18:35 AM

i would add maker on ethereum to the list.

Don't know what are the difference between all those though.

yelllowsin

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 01:45:55 AM

Interesting discussion here, i liked  Grin. Something you will have to consider also is if these platforms can scale. Waves team says the platform can scale to ~1000 transactions per second, also i heard that Bitshares scales very well...but actually we will only know for sure when they are working in real time. I bet on the Waves Platform as it easy to use, there is not need to download any blockchain...you just run it and you are ready for trading. I think they have this cool vision to build something easier for starters, not only on tokens creation but also on the dex part without missing the more complex features needed for professional traders. Also smart contracts over Waves platform are planned on their roadmap, these things might be key for the success of the project.

Interesting times ahead, there are many gaps to fill on the blockchain area and certainly descentralized trading is one of them as of the recent buzz on Bifinex issues.
hermanhs09

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 01:48:16 AM

I've only used Bitshares.

And it's pretty nice, if you issue an asset you can short it.

I also hold a lot of assets, like BitUSD and BitCNY. You even get a pretty nice annualised interest on your balance. ANd better yet, you can settle it anytime, or trade it for Bitshares. Bitshares price is actually pretty stable at this moment.
PondSea
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 03:54:30 AM

Well there is NXT that does tokens as well.

KMD Dex will use atomic swaps and not IOUs  Wink

░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀█████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████
░░░░▄███████▄░░░░████████
░░░░███████████░░░░██████
░░░▀███████████░░░░████░░
███▄░░░░░░░░░░▀████░░░███░░██
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████░░░██░░██
█████████████▄░░████░░░░░
░░█████████████░░█████
░░░░█████████▀░░░██████▌
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░▄████████▌
░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄███████
SuperNET.org
..BarterDEX..
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DECENTRALIZED CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE
Developed to Unite Coin Communities | ✔ SECURE ✔ FREE ✔ VISIBILITY ✔ EASY INTEGRATION |

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 05:24:06 AM

KMD Dex will use atomic swaps and not IOUs  Wink

It is hard for me to take Komodo seriously, or more specifically jl7777.

He has started about 100 crypto projects, all of which he asked for and received funding, and he never seems to finish any of them.

https://nxtforum.org/nxtventures/

Is like a graveyard of failed projects...

Bitcoindark
Supernet
InstantDEX
NxtCoinsco
Pangea
NxtPrivacy
PrivateBet
ATOMIC
Skynet
NeoDice
Omnigames

I am probably missing a few too... Were any of these actually completed as advertised? Some were completed to the point of being barely functional, but I wouldn't really count that as truly following through and protecting his investor's best interests. If history tells us anything, then Komodo will be much of the same.

cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 09:54:43 AM

He has started about 100 crypto projects, all of which he asked for and received funding, and he never seems to finish any of them.

Bitcoindark
Supernet
InstantDEX
NxtCoinsco
Pangea
NxtPrivacy
PrivateBet
ATOMIC
Skynet
NeoDice
Omnigames

I am probably missing a few too... Were any of these actually completed as advertised? Some were completed to the point of being barely functional, but I wouldn't really count that as truly following through and protecting his investor's best interests. If history tells us anything, then Komodo will be much of the same.

He obviously has a good skillset but yes i think komodo is his last chance. This gets left as another graveyard coin then he probably won't be given further chances to prove himself.

Mt. Gox

Activity: 350
Merit: 118

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 10:40:36 AM
Last edit: April 21, 2017, 11:16:22 AM by Mt. Gox

KMD Dex will use atomic swaps and not IOUs  Wink

Bitcoindark
Supernet
InstantDEX
NxtCoinsco
Pangea
NxtPrivacy
PrivateBet
ATOMIC
Skynet
NeoDice
Omnigames

This link might be of interest to you:

http://support.supernet.org/topic/has-james-jl777-abandoned-his-projects-in-the-past-how-many-icos-has-he-done

MGW (multi-signature gateway for converting BTC and LTC into tradeable tokens on AE and vice-versa), jl777hodl (crypto investment fund), and NXTventure (crypto investment fund) were his fully completed projects. A lot of the other ones were linked to the NXT platform which jl777 has moved away recently from due to disagreements with their core devs. Many are still under various stages of development but they won't be based on NXT anymore.

Dear GOD/GODS and/or anyone else who can HELP ME (e.g. MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS): The next time I wake up, please change my physical form to that of FINN MCMILLAN of SOUTH NEW BRIGHTON at 8 YEARS OLD and keep it that way FOREVER. I am so sick of this chubby Asian man body! Thank you! - CHAUL JHIN KIM (a.k.a. A DESPERATE SOUL) P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray for me! [ www.chauljhin.com ]
BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 12:01:34 PM

Pick your poison.  Cheesy
nuff said, that's it boys in a nut shell.
both offer awesome DEX_level platforms.
both offer the ability to roll-back{HARDFORK}your arse.

it ain't decentralized
it ain't (exactly) secure securities

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2017, 12:13:38 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2017, 12:27:39 PM by benthach

Bitcoindark
Supernet
InstantDEX
NxtCoinsco
Pangea
NxtPrivacy
PrivateBet
ATOMIC
Skynet
NeoDice
Omnigames

lol. i told them so, this jl77777 serial scammer make millions out of dumb people. most or all his projects are done by hiring people cheap from freelancer, these people are not crypto coder. i once said komodo logo and site is done by little 5 year old girl who just learn how to do photoshop, i still stand by this comment. he said they spend $10,000 on the logo. lol.

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
scaryvirus

Activity: 570
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 02:05:37 AM

No good reason to use waves over bts.

Bts has the only trustless pegged currencies, decentralized dex with margin, many options for gateways for 6 different fiat currencies and so on

Vangardo

Activity: 644
Merit: 272

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 05:12:31 PM

I think that there is a future for both projects. Conducting ICO is a popular topic at the moment. The price of tokens should soar in both. And who will decide the time better.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: