Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:42:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A hack that should make anybody paranoid  (Read 184 times)
SilverBrulet (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 11:01:49 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2017, 11:43:25 PM by SilverBrulet

My first attempt at posting this was deleted within 5 seconds.

I have to post it piece by piece because my internet is acting up.

Here is what happened

1) I created several copies of files that contained wallet backups. The files had the same names and sizes but were saved in separate folders.
folder1 > file "abc.xyz"
folder2 > file "abc.xyz"

etc, except each separate file "abc.xyz" was an encrypted file /with the same size, original date, and certain other details/ that contained different backup data.

2) I filled up the hard drive on the computer so that I knew how much space was used and unused.

3) My computer was strictly 'offline'. All network drivers were disabled and it had firewalls that were set to block everything. I put wallets on, and took them off, only with safe usb's and tried to make sure that there was no scenario that could lead to a hack, short of somebody with access to Microsoft's most secret tools doing something malicious.

4) With all the space on the drive accounted for, I deleted a certain amount of material and created a new partition. The 'defragmenter' worked for a while making the free space contiguous so a new partition could be made.

5) The computer had copies of the encrypted file sets both on the desk top and within other encrypted files. After I created the partition, there was a huge empty space on the new drive, and virtually no space on the original drive.

The first drive, 'C', had the encrypted file sets on the desk top, as well as within encrypted files.

For example

desktop >
 folder1 > file "abc.xyz"
 folder2 > file "abc.xyz"
 folder3 > file "abc.xyz"
 folder4 > file "abc.xyz"

desktop >
 'larger' encrypted file1>
  folder1 > file "abc.xyz"
  folder2 > file "abc.xyz"
  folder3 > file "abc.xyz"
  folder4 > file "abc.xyz"

etc, but pushed to where it took up all the space on the drive.

6) Then, with the new drive mostly filled with new material, I deleted some of the files on the desktop.

e.g. folder2 > file "abc.xyz" to recycle bin then deleted, then space overwritten.

7) Once I had cleaned up everything I went into the 'larger' encrypted files that contained backups of the encrypted backup files, and the only files that existed within the 'larger' encrypted files were the ones that had not been deleted from the desktop.

eight) Previously I had made backups of the 'larger' backup files on a detachable drive.

9) So I am able to prove that the computer is hacked in such a way that what I thought were encrypted files were not encrypted at all, at least to the operating system, and that the operating system was not doing what it appeared to be doing, it was not creating actually segregated encrypted files, but only giving the appearance of doing that.

In the several minutes I've typed that, my computer has downloaded over 195 mb over a metered connection. Now I get a notice that some program called sihclient.exe has connected to the internet for the first time. The only program that does not seem to be able to get any bandwidth is the browser lol

10) There was a reason I was concerned about the 'integrity' of my offline computer, and it was something that should concern anybody on the internet.

11) I'll add more later

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: