April 26, 2013, 01:29:47 PM
Last edit: April 28, 2013, 07:10:32 AM by b!z

STOP MESSAGING  ME. DONE
genpayne

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 02:36:10 PM

Java ok? If you can make it 5USD so its worth the 10 minutes it would take I can help.

I could also do other languages, but that would mean rebooting into windows... and hassle.. so i'd actually want to charge my standard min rate for an hour.
alberthrocks

Activity: 50

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 03:46:39 PM

Assuming it's not that program in the picture (with functionality), then I can do it.
I can write it in Python, and compile it into a EXE for you for very easy deployment.
If it's 100% useless, I might be convinced to write it in C++ for an extra $5-15 surcharge.

My quote:
1 hour of my time developing this for $20 worth of Bitcoins. If I finish it earlier (very likely), it can be as low as $5.
My quote is cheaper for the time allotted, and my solution is more portable.
For actual functionality, depending on how complicated it is, $50-80 worth of Bitcoins (approx 2-3 hours of my time).

Let me know if you accept!
genpayne

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:09:17 PM

Code:

Cheaper? I offered $5 if he was happy with java. That was you're low end.
More Portable? Both languages can run on all main OS's, but java is installed on far more than python is.
".exe" simply means executable. The exe you speak of is just the script you would write with an added instruction to tell it what command to use (in this case python then the file location). The same way an exe for a java piece of software tells it to run "java -jar ..."

You should sell the merits you offer, not try and argue weaknesses of others. Especially when you apparently don't know the facts!
alberthrocks

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:49:09 PM

Code:

Cheaper? I offered $5 if he was happy with java. That was you're low end.
I should've said $3.33, my bad. ($20/hour, 10 minutes = 1/6 hr, $20/6 = $3.33)
More Portable? Both languages can run on all main OS's, but java is installed on far more than python is.
".exe" simply means executable. The exe you speak of is just the script you would write with an added instruction to tell it what command to use (in this case python then the file location). The same way an exe for a java piece of software tells it to run "java -jar ..."
Wrong. See PyInstaller and Py2exe. Smiley

You should sell the merits you offer, not try and argue weaknesses of others. Especially when you apparently don't know the facts!
I'm just stating reasons for choosing me, no ill intentions whatsoever. Smiley My apologies if that seemed to be the case.
genpayne

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:59:56 PM

I'm just stating reasons for choosing me, no ill intentions whatsoever. Smiley My apologies if that seemed to be the case.
Been having a bad day. Probably just me reading things too quickly and being in a grumpy mood! So apologies also.

There are identical tools for java. The differences in the languages im guessing don't really matter to the OP.
But i would presume he had java installed so I probably wouldn't have had to bother.

If you can guarantee to get it done for less than $5 he's probably better off taking your offer.

Which GUI framework are you using out of interest?
My Python experience is all Django based.
alberthrocks

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:44:20 PM

Been having a bad day. Probably just me reading things too quickly and being in a grumpy mood! So apologies also.
Not a problem - happens to everyone!

There are identical tools for java. The differences in the languages im guessing don't really matter to the OP.
But i would presume he had java installed so I probably wouldn't have had to bother.
Not terribly sure... I was always under the impression that you have to have the JRE installed, no matter what. (For instance, Exe4J does bundle the JAR into the EXE, but still requires Java for it to run. This was based on some thorough research before when I was tinkering with Java... this might have changed since then.)

If you can guarantee to get it done for less than $5 he's probably better off taking your offer.
Depends on the complexity of the interface, and whether he's looking for any actual workability or not. He could still be paying me $20. Wink

Which GUI framework are you using out of interest?
My Python experience is all Django based.
I have experience with wxWidgets and more recently PyQt. If OP's request is for a really "useless" program, then I'll design the interface in Qt's Designer app, export the UI file, "compile" it to an importable Python module, and then go from there. If it's a legit program, I'll do it in wxWidgets (since I have more experience with threading, timers, and such there, which is necessary for good GUI updates).

Of course, magical question of the day: which one do I prefer? Not sure. wxWidgets is great with being native, and is smaller than Qt. However, it's somewhat limited in widgets to use, so simpler (or rather, less widget intensive) applications work best. (Not to say that you can't design a complex app, but it will take more work to do so.) Qt, on the other hand, is really really flexible (and sometimes fun, especially with the CSS-based skinning), but it's MUCH bigger. (So technically, I should be using wxWidgets for this project, but Qt is much faster to prototype the GUI in, so I'm using that.)
genpayne

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:13:48 PM

You need the virtual machine yes, but there are portable versions. All it is in effect is a run time compiler. Take this byte-code and transfer it to machine code... byte-code being just a "fake" machine language anyway
How do you think python works? The interpreter is just a much higher-level version of the same thing.
Which is why python is generally slower than Java. Since Java byte-code is far closer to machine language the conversion is faster.

The solutions for both languages AFAIK package a version of the virtual machine/interpreter in with the executable.
You then have a wrapper so when you double click the exe it runs the contained virtual machine/interpreter for the program.
There are also ways to compile Java (and probably python) to machine-language but they are rare and kind of defeat the purpose of the languages.

I really ought to look into Qt. Its catching on like wildfire!
Im a Swing guy generally, although its limitations are frustrating.
And C/C++ for non-GUI stuff.

Fun fact. Learnt C# in 24 hours to impress a girl.
fsb4000
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:18:23 PM

it's easy. I can do it.
Barnacle_Ed

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:19:32 AM

Fun fact. Learnt C# in 24 hours to impress a girl.

Gave her the .net? Good man...ladies like the .net  Cool
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:22:14 AM

As a Delphi developer is pretty easy to do, but I have more thing to do than a Form for only 1$, I'm a bitch that costs more for those quick jobs.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:57:27 AM

Hi, I need a useless program developed with some buttons and textboxes etc. Example style: https://i.imgur.com/Is1xqIa.png
Program will be for Windows, I don't care what language as long as it's something that works without any hassle.
The buttons don't actually have to do anything!

I am paying $1 in BTC at Mt Gox last price for this quick job.

If you can do this please PM me!

I can do it. I'll upload it when it's done. I will do that exact same style. Will take me a few hours since I'll do this in my spare time over the weekend.

The buttons won't do anything, as per your request.

genpayne

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:30:54 AM

I can do it. I'll upload it when it's done. I will do that exact same style. Will take me a few hours since I'll do this in my spare time over the weekend.

The buttons won't do anything, as per your request.

A few hours!!?? Are you manually writing it in machine language or something!!??
If you need some pointers to tutorials give me a shout. What language are you using?
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:36:55 AM

I can make this for you but not in a hurry.

arsenische
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 11:17:14 AM

Hi, I need a useless program developed with some buttons and textboxes etc. Example style: https://i.imgur.com/Is1xqIa.png
WHAT I ACTUALLY NEED: https://i.imgur.com/h1SFLOY.png
Program will be for Windows, I don't care what language as long as it's something that works without any hassle.
The buttons don't actually have to do anything!

I am paying $3 in BTC at Mt Gox last price for this quick job. First person to send me the program in PM along with address gets it.

If you can do this please PM me!

I wrote this tiny program for windows that can be executed via cmd.exe or put in a .bat file to run it without a hassle:

It nicely runs under windows, it shows buttons and textboxes that are ACTUALLY NEEDED (uses default browser to render them), and when you click them, nothing happens (as desired).  I've PM'ed to the OP with my BTC address (1JABmbKsb6QTDXqcXe3oyuaVUxaACtfs3M), but he denied to pay. Don't deal with this customer, he offers low price and refuses to pay, lol Smiley

Pichu

Activity: 40

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 11:35:17 AM
Last edit: April 27, 2013, 11:47:13 AM by Pichu

Did it, Visual Studio decided to freeze when I was just finished, lol. Took about 10 minutes in total.

Edit: PM'd OP with download link and address. Just read post above and cringed :/
genpayne

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:29:17 PM

Also made one. Maybe he hasn't paid the first because he hasn't been online? What does declined to pay mean?

But I may as well share since its useless
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1smNnviYd1hUHhjanhVNFhiM1k/edit
arsenische
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:33:22 PM

Also made one. Maybe he hasn't paid the first because he hasn't been online? What does declined to pay mean?

He said that was not what he needed and advised me to look at the thread... I still look at it time to time.

genpayne

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:32:07 PM

He said that was not what he needed and advised me to look at the thread... I still look at it time to time.

That sucks :/ Although you didn't make the first link did you?
The one where he said something like this... Before he put up what he actually wants..
arsenische
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:14:53 PM

Although you didn't make the first link did you?
The one where he said something like this... Before he put up what he actually wants..

You are right, but it was just an example, and it doesn't look too different...

Anyway, I didn't take this thread serious. Who would need a useless app, and who will do it for $3?

To my mind it doesn't even worth time of discussing it, though there is some fun in it.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: