Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:44:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FinCen preparing to prosectute some Bitcoin users  (Read 13104 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:21:26 PM

Meeting the Regulators:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100675118

From that article this is the most important bit regarding Satoshi.

"The Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, or FinCen, has signed off regarding online currencies, saying that it would not prosecute their originators so long as no criminal behavior is taking place."

That is why he can't come back. If they can't find him "the originator" they can't prosecute him.

IMO, it's hopelessly naive to think that 'they' don't know exactly who 'Satoshi' is.  A lot of people probably do.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
jdbtracker

Activity: 727
Merit: 500

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 11:57:27 PM

Meeting the Regulators:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100675118

From that article this is the most important bit regarding Satoshi.

"The Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, or FinCen, has signed off regarding online currencies, saying that it would not prosecute their originators so long as no criminal behavior is taking place."

That is why he can't come back. If they can't find him "the originator" they can't prosecute him.

IMO, it's hopelessly naive to think that 'they' don't know exactly who 'Satoshi' is.  A lot of people probably do.

What if it's just one dude? that would explain why no information leaks have happened, one dude, who from the beginning had a game plan.
what that game plan is, I do not know, but can you imagine if he thought this all out, right through!!

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
teriaki

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 11:21:54 PM

But BTCBuy was not exchanging directly for fiat they were doing gift cards in fiat denominations. If I can't even get a gift card with btc why should I mine. I don't want drugs off of SR so I guess I'm left with just trading with scammers in the Marketplace section of this forum, right?

This is something I have been assessing.  A quick number crunch shows what a tiny percentage of the total BTC transactions for a day are related to SR.  I want to understand where all this BTC is going -- 560k in the last 24hours.  A fraction of that is SR related.  Where is all this BTC going?  It can't all be speculators.
mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 01:35:47 AM

But BTCBuy was not exchanging directly for fiat they were doing gift cards in fiat denominations. If I can't even get a gift card with btc why should I mine. I don't want drugs off of SR so I guess I'm left with just trading with scammers in the Marketplace section of this forum, right?

This is something I have been assessing.  A quick number crunch shows what a tiny percentage of the total BTC transactions for a day are related to SR.  I want to understand where all this BTC is going -- 560k in the last 24hours.  A fraction of that is SR related.  Where is all this BTC going?  It can't all be speculators.

1 - It absolutely could be speculators, the amount of money in this market is a tiny tiny fraction of the value sloshing around in the world looking for someplace safe from devaluation or confiscation to hide.  Right now it's hard to buy bitcoins, but it's alot easier than it was last year and next year it'll probably be easier than it is now, or illegal.

2 - Satoshi's dice is a major source of BTC traffic, are you remembering to factor that in?

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
teriaki

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 02:16:12 PM

1 - It absolutely could be speculators, the amount of money in this market is a tiny tiny fraction of the value sloshing around in the world looking for someplace safe from devaluation or confiscation to hide.  Right now it's hard to buy bitcoins, but it's alot easier than it was last year and next year it'll probably be easier than it is now, or illegal.

2 - Satoshi's dice is a major source of BTC traffic, are you remembering to factor that in?

Certainly good points.  I had considered Satoshi dice as a major contributor of the BTC transactions, but without doing any real analysis I assumed that it would be a small percentage of actual coins being sent.  At the current numbers, the average transaction size is around 16 BTC.

I contributed to SD for a bit just a learning experience.  I probably did around 30 transactions, lost half of the 1 BTC I was gambling with.  That's a lot of transactions (in aggregate), but a very small amount of actual BTC (even in aggregate).  7% of the entire market cap of BTC moved around in the last 24 hours.
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:39:52 PM

Does anybody wonder why the mods haven't moved this to the legal section?  lol
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: