Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:12:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Keiser said Bitcoin Foundation should run Bitcoin and set the price  (Read 5292 times)
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:18:51 PM

I think Max may have been spending some of those bitcoin millions on the SR ... this reads like a coke-fueled rant of meglomania ... if he wants to sell all his BTC to preserve the $100 peg I'm sure there are people willing to take them off his hands.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreddyFender

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Shamantastic!

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:24:29 PM

So here is a thought experiment:
If Max convinces large regulatory groups to try to implement this idea as a solution to the "bitcoin" problem. By the time they figure out that it is impossible due to the decentralized nature, we will have several more 100's of THz to contend with.
Well played, Max. Well played.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 11:40:59 PM

Max is starting to lose it. See this from his latest broadcast...

http://youtu.be/-ASkas1ThFA?t=1m48s

He's mad as hell, and he's not gonna take it anymore.  Grin

Thanks for posting this. Until I have good reason to do otherwise, this, my first Keiser experience, will also be my last.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:44:18 PM

One needs someone with lots of BTC and USD to do this. What is been proposed here is in fact no different from the USD pegged to gold until Nixon closed the gold window in 1971. Why did Nixon close the gold window? Because the United States was running out of gold. I suspect that if Max Keiser and / or The Bitcoin Foundation try this they will suffer same fate as the United States did in 1971, and will have to close the Bitcoin window or run out of Bitcoin.

PS: If Max Keiser wishes to sell me some BTC for 100 USD per BTC when it is trading at 136 USD per BTC I am game.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 11:46:15 PM

I'm glad Kaiser finally came to senses.  Cheesy
12gaFacelift

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:51:49 PM

that foundation can kiss my royal irish ass!

Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience. ~ *CANADA ONLY* Colloidal Silver Wire Rod - 12 Gauge Pure Silver .9999 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=775964.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=731923.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1323657.0
lettucebee

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:56:00 PM

I think Max knows that FINCEN is taking aim at bitcoin and that they will deal it a very serious blow.  News of the arrests will crash the price to below $10 for a long time as all the giddy kiddies and pro-establishment pussies wet their pants and bail out in fear.  (Just observe how many people on these forums are just DYING to pay their taxes to the U.S. mafia).

After that, bitcoin will stay down for a long while and its price will climb very slowly over years as it is taken up by foreigners who thumb their noses at the U.S. imperialists and those brave westerners who know how to cover their tracks.  Government is, and always has been, the biggest threat to this experiment.  Government is the biggest threat to everything.

I listened to the podcast "Let's Talk Bitcoin! Episode 1" which featured Bradley Jansen of FreeBanking.org who talked all about FINCEN.  There IS a train wreck coming.  I encourage any of you to check it out.

▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▄
█████▀              ▀█████
▄████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▀████▄
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
█▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████████▀  ▄█
██▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████▀  ▄██
███▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█▀  ▄███
▀███▄  ▀█████▄     ▄███▀
▀████▄  ▀████▀  ▄████▀
█████▄  ▀▀  ▄█████
▀█████▄  ▄█████▀
▀█████  █████▀
▀████████▀
██████
▀██▀
E R N
               ▄▄█████████▄▄
           ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
        ▄███████▀▀       ▀▀███████▄
       █████▀▀               ▀▀█████
     ▄████▀    ▄▄█████████▄▄    ▀████▄
    ████▀   ▄█████████████████▄   ▀████
   ████    █████████████████████    ████
 █████    ███████  ▀█████████████    █████
█████    █████████    ▀███████████    █████
████    ▄██████████▄     ▀████████▄    ████
████    █████████████       ███████    ████
████    ▀██████████▀     ▄████████▀    ████
█████    █████████    ▄███████████    █████
 █████    ███████  ▄█████████████    █████
           █████████████████████
            ▀█████████████████▀
               ▀▀█████████▀▀
████
████

████
████

████
████

████
████
TOKEN SALE
AIRDROP
                              ████
                              ████

████
          ████            ████  ████

████            ████  ████
          ████  ████  ████  ████  ████

████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
  ▬▬   GET IN TOUCH   ▬▬ 
TELEGRAM  FACEBOOK  TWITTER
YOUTUBE   INSTAGRAM
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:58:06 PM

stupid idea and not even possible given Bitcoin's design.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:15:08 AM

It's semi-possible.  Other currencies have an official exchange rate but are also used for speculation.  Likewise, precious metals have an "official" price but you can still trade them in a speculative manner.

If you believe that Bitcoin won't stabilise without "someone" doing "something" then you need to consider "who" and "what".  You also need to consider whether now is the appropriate time to try to stabilise Bitcoin.  Are there enough people wanting to use Bitcoin as a currency and enough ways to use it as a currency right now to justify trying to stabilise it or are we years away from it being viable as a currency? 

You can't just ignore the fact that many people view Bitcoin primarily as a means of increasing their net worth and it's not especially useful for that purpose if it becomes a stable currency.

If you drive out the speculators, is there enough momentum to sustain Bitcoin as a currency or have we not yet reached that critical mass?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
TsuyokuNaritai

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:49:31 AM

Max is starting to lose it. See this from his latest broadcast...

http://youtu.be/-ASkas1ThFA?t=1m48s

He's mad as hell, and he's not gonna take it anymore.  Grin

Thanks for posting this. Until I have good reason to do otherwise, this, my first Keiser experience, will also be my last.

That would be too far. He's a crazy-assed megalomaniac and shameless entertainer, but there is method to the madness, he's right about a lot of things where most others are wrong, & he's is worth keeping an eye on for several reasons. Just take everything with a healthy dose of salt.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:51:18 AM

It's semi-possible.  Other currencies have an official exchange rate but are also used for speculation.  Likewise, precious metals have an "official" price but you can still trade them in a speculative manner.

If you believe that Bitcoin won't stabilise without "someone" doing "something" then you need to consider "who" and "what".  You also need to consider whether now is the appropriate time to try to stabilise Bitcoin.  Are there enough people wanting to use Bitcoin as a currency and enough ways to use it as a currency right now to justify trying to stabilise it or are we years away from it being viable as a currency?  

You can't just ignore the fact that many people view Bitcoin primarily as a means of increasing their net worth and it's not especially useful for that purpose if it becomes a stable currency.

If you drive out the speculators, is there enough momentum to sustain Bitcoin as a currency or have we not yet reached that critical mass?

Semi is the operative word here. The US Government did this with gold and the USD before 1971.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:07:45 AM

Semi is the operative word here. The US Government did this with gold and the USD before 1971.

And here we are with people still speculating on the price of gold and the USD.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
BlueNote

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:27:22 AM

My simple solution to this perceived problem is to simply encourage the adoption of cBTC or some other SMALLER unit as the standard unit referred to in exchange rather than the full bitcoin. This way you just change the scale of the exchange rate, thus changing the public perception.

So then, for example, today's price would be expressed as $1.35 cBTC. And it would stay in that small relatable scale until 1 BTC hit $1,000. Then that previously scary price would be represented as $10.00 cBTC, which seems like a relative pittance.

Switching over to millibits would probably be even better. Today's price would be $.135 mBTC.

Bitcoin is a *very* limited issue. Think about how small 21 million units is for a currency! The scale simply has to change and the sooner the better. This could be adopted by consensus over time. Once the exchanges adopt it, then one of the major public perception problems of Bitcoin is gone. People will want to throw money at it if they can buy units for next to nothing - just like the very early adopters did.

1HQbvGAEKKSrwCHv9RZNHoQPGmtLQmiu85
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:33:03 AM

I have very hard time believing Max can have written that.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:39:23 AM

It's semi-possible.  Other currencies have an official exchange rate but are also used for speculation.  Likewise, precious metals have an "official" price but you can still trade them in a speculative manner.

If you believe that Bitcoin won't stabilise without "someone" doing "something" then you need to consider "who" and "what".  You also need to consider whether now is the appropriate time to try to stabilise Bitcoin.  Are there enough people wanting to use Bitcoin as a currency and enough ways to use it as a currency right now to justify trying to stabilise it or are we years away from it being viable as a currency? 

this is my reply to repentance above about the possibility of a Bitcoin peg:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68655.msg1956126#msg1956126
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:40:33 AM

Well, if MK thinks the price should be around 100$, all he has to do is to sell his bitcoins whenever the price is above 100$, and buy them back whenever it is below.

Everyone has an incentive to sell when the price gets higher anyway.  So there is a natural feedback loop.  No need for a supreme entity, whether it is the bitcoin foundation or whatever, to fix the price.  The market will do.

I doubt the bitcoin foundation owns enough bitcoins to perform price control, anyway.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:53:52 AM

Bitcoin price is already set by a Japanese corporation. Look what good that does. Bitcoin price should be set by a mathematical algorithm as a layer on the protocol. In math we trust.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:00:40 AM

Bitcoin price should be set by a mathematical algorithm as a layer on the protocol.

Roll Eyes

I was about to say that this is ridiculous, but I'll be diplomatic and suggest you tell us more about what kind of algorithm you have in mind exactly.

bitbadger

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:05:51 AM

And Max Keiser is going to guarantee a particular BTC exchange rate using his own funds is he?

Ok, fine.
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:06:21 AM

Max Keiser should know this, Especially at these times of financial turmoil. You can't stabilize Bitcoin price since what you are stablizing it against (fiat) is NOT stable!

This is Bitcoin. The people speak not Foundations nor Keisers, Max or not. Don't you forget it people. If Bitcoin is messed with the tech will only evolve and the miners would simply mine another chain.

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: