Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:12:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: w0mbat - Took my 16.80 BTC  (Read 1035 times)
clint25n (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 02:24:20 AM

Hello Admins and Users,

I recently made a deal with w0mbat. He offered to trade me 14k FTC for my 16.8 BTC. So he took my BTC and I haven't heard from him since. I'm giving him a day or so before I take action. Only because he seemed to go offline as I took too long to send them. (This occurred about 16 hours ago).

Here is the blockchain information:
https://blockchain.info/address/1EsRrVWet1sLjEEmSiqcAN9bbkXtrKjbsm

Unfortunately, it's making my wife cry and is a great deal of money to us. Hope this is just a mistake.

Thanks for reading!
clint25n

Notes:  He first joined in 2011 and never heard anything bad about him. His account was inactive for over a year, but so was mine.
He created an exchange at one time and seemed to have a couple transactions with people, so I believed I could trust him.

Whether he turns out to be the original user, or someone who hacked an account.. his location is logged, and with the proper contacts.. is possible to trace. It would be interesting if someone could be found for grand larceny or something similar for such an action. Even if they couldn't, they could still be dragged through court which comes with more of an expense than the original 16.8 BTC. I'll keep everyone posted and hopefully he's just offline!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 02:28:55 AM

This indeed is a large amount. I really feel sorry for you, and can understand the feeling since I have been scammed before as well.

This being a btc transaction, I doubt you can do anything at all at this point. Hope this does not hit you too hard. Please, always use escrow for large amount of transaction with non-reputed members. There has been plethora of warnings about inactive accounts getting hacked.

Again, sorry to hear this.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 04:45:03 AM

This indeed is a large amount. I really feel sorry for you, and can understand the feeling since I have been scammed before as well.

This being a btc transaction, I doubt you can do anything at all at this point. Hope this does not hit you too hard. Please, always use escrow for large amount of transaction with non-reputed members. There has been plethora of warnings about inactive accounts getting hacked.

That is true. Always beware of accounts which came out from hibernation.
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 11:41:23 AM

That is true. Always beware of accounts which came out from hibernation.

escrows are important to large trades of BTC.  Wink

clint25n (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:38:37 AM

Curious, according to the block address, the 16.80 BTC were never spent.
Wondering why?

And can an admin compare w0mbats latest IP location with his 2011 IP location to see if they are in the same area?
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:43:44 AM

Maybe because the scammer hasn't spent it yet?
jetset220

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 08:55:52 PM

scammers list

FoundNemo
limitless
w0mbat
btcmank
goryo
Liberty Payout
penetration
arobinson

possibly - Exclusive

Beware of scammers ...

use an escrow service.. http://btcrow.com/ looks ok.

read more here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=21544.0;all

Enjoy your weekend,
Ray
Gorillabiscuits

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 04:47:22 PM

That sucks dude.  i have been scammed three times recently..the biggest one was for .50 and that hurts so I'm sure 16.8 does unless you are a millionaire. My condolences and just tough to be safe out there.
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 06:45:27 PM

I put together a comprehensive list of what to look out for in a SCAMMER. If you choose not to heed it, its hard to feel sorry for you.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: