Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:51:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] TOKENCARD  (Read 97801 times)
theomoplatapus

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 02:32:36 AM

Thoughts on Visa discussing this with their lawyers?

((((Last week, an initial coin offering (ICO) for something* called TokenCard raised** $16.7m in “mere minutes”, according to the PR spin embedded in the emailed correspondence to this reporter following the event.

It was brought to market by an outfit called Monolith Studio, which until recently had offered sparse information about who was behind it, apart from a loose connection to Peter Vessenes, bitcoin investor and founder of something called “New Alchemy” (no less).

As is increasingly common in the promotion of these launches, a proposal pitching exclusive details ahead of the offering was made to the press. This, from April 19, being an example from our own inbox (with Monolith calling itself Monolith Ventures):

Details revealed over the next few weeks showed the project was the brainchild Mel Gelderman and another chap called David Hoggard. Their respective Linkedin bios were either exceptionally thin on the ground or non-existent.

The pitch itself was pretty forthright (please note the emphasis):

Tomorrow, Monolith Ventures will open the ICO for TokenCard, the first debit card powered by smart contracts. When the card launches, holders will be able to use it anywhere that accepts VISA.
And the promotional blitz disseminated after the launch on May 4 reiterated the key points:

Monolith Studio’s TokenCard closed its token launch Tuesday, May 2, 2017, after exceeding its crowdsale goal in mere minutes. TokenCard is the first debit card powered by smart contracts incorporating the VISA payments network with Ethereum. It immediately gained attention in the Ethereum community after its announcement and quickly reached and surpassed contribution goals for this one-of-a-kind project. For the first time, token holders will be able to use Ether as well as other ERC20 tokens to purchase items anywhere that accepts VISA debit cards.
Suffice to say, the above made a lot of TokenCard’s access to Visa’s payment networks — if not leveraging Visa’s brand rather explicitly for its own purposes.

You’d think Visa — had it truly decided to associate itself with or back a crypto venture this explicitly — would have also communicated the unprecedented cooperation. It didn’t.

To the contrary, a spokesman from Visa Europe told us on Friday that:

At this point I’m unable to establish any business relationship between Visa and this company. Our lawyers are looking into this and I will come back to you if I have any further insight.
The accompanying promotional graphics for TokenCard have since gone from this))))))
_______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2017/05/08/2188471/introducing-truly-outlandish-ico-claims-tokencard-edition/

Much ado about nothing, or a real concern?
People in the crypto world really have no clue about the word of traditional finance. It's much more convoluted than they could ever imagine, compared to the elegant blockchain we are all so used to. VISA has no clue about everyone that has access to their network. These aren't "partners", anyone can do this after meeting certain criteria.

#Bitcoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kj15

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 05:35:27 AM

I am highly concerned about the Financial Times article: https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2017/05/08/2188471/introducing-truly-outlandish-ico-claims-tokencard-edition/

I was very excited about the Project, but now I am quite dissapointed. I do not understand why there is so little talk about the FT article. This is serious.

- Izabella Kaminska:

"The story here is that Tokencard has misrepresented its visa relationship in a way that implies Visa's endorsement/cooperation, when actually the access comes by way of a third party relationship. This is like me raising money on the notion I can supply access to a gated natural park enclosure when actually I'm dependent on the goodwill of a third party who already has the access and has promised to take my client load -even tho the park itself may have a different view of my customer demographic than that third party."

So, a serious lie was told Byt the team to attacrt money from gullible people.

What if TokenCard does not get the access to Visa’s payment networks?

(And now I am waiting that "Turing" comes and say: All is good, no problems. Monolith & Mel are great).
Turing

Activity: 994
Merit: 277

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 06:15:13 AM

I am highly concerned about the Financial Times article: https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2017/05/08/2188471/introducing-truly-outlandish-ico-claims-tokencard-edition/

I was very excited about the Project, but now I am quite dissapointed. I do not understand why there is so little talk about the FT article. This is serious.

- Izabella Kaminska:

"The story here is that Tokencard has misrepresented its visa relationship in a way that implies Visa's endorsement/cooperation, when actually the access comes by way of a third party relationship. This is like me raising money on the notion I can supply access to a gated natural park enclosure when actually I'm dependent on the goodwill of a third party who already has the access and has promised to take my client load -even tho the park itself may have a different view of my customer demographic than that third party."

(And now I am waiting that "Turing" comes and say: All is good, no problems. Monolith & Mel are great).

Haha, lol.

FTAlphaville is the "young writers blog" of the Financial Times, not that big.

But, please join Slack, it's explained there. It's true that the VISA logo should not have been put up there.
There are lots of card issuers/processors out there, that's the easy part of the project.

https://tokencard-team.herokuapp.com
megashira1
Legendary

Activity: 1146
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 06:30:30 AM

- Izabella Kaminska:

Haha, lol.

But, please join Slack, it's explained there. It's true that the VISA logo should not have been put up there.
There are lots of card issuers/processors out there, that's the easy part of the project.

So there is no guarantee of a VISA partnership?

jacaf01

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

The revolutionary trading ecosystem

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2017, 06:37:20 AM

- Izabella Kaminska:

Haha, lol.

I don't see any issue here, if the team get the job done either through third party partnership or direct Visa partnership. They have huge fund now to get this done. Just give them time

|
|
QRX|
|
QURREX - QRXTest MVP |Source
www.qurrex.com

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
misterbones

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Trader*Investor

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 06:44:00 AM

They lied noobs plus the partnership with visa is not real .

megashira1
Legendary

Activity: 1146
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 06:44:25 AM

- Izabella Kaminska:

Haha, lol.

I don't see any issue here, if the team get the job done either through third party partnership or direct Visa partnership. They have huge fund now to get this done. Just give them time

The issue is a matter of their character and motives for displaying the VISA emblem prior to ICO. I don't believe it to be a a matter of sheer ignorance on their part.

Ano

Activity: 1148
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 06:44:30 AM

That is great news tokencard is get listed on bittrex so I hope soon it will be on polo too. I took a dip from liqui around 51k because I missed to invest into this ICO now it has chance to get stable on 100k.
kj15

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 07:12:41 AM

- Izabella Kaminska:

1. There is no guarented partnership. Monilith just hopes to have VISA partnership.
2. "I don't see any issue here, if..". "IF" the team get the job done. Mel & Monolith let us all understand that the job has been already done. That is the problem. You do not see any issue here... Are you Mel himself?
I would like to hear some explanations from Monolith. Where are they? Daydreaming about VISA partnership?

welshminer

Activity: 39

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 08:09:38 AM

- Izabella Kaminska:

1. There is no guarented partnership. Monilith just hopes to have VISA partnership.
2. "I don't see any issue here, if..". "IF" the team get the job done. Mel & Monolith let us all understand that the job has been already done. That is the problem. You do not see any issue here... Are you Mel himself?
I would like to hear some explanations from Monolith. Where are they? Daydreaming about VISA partnership?

Stop this FUD.

They said cards will be issued by WaveCrest Ltd. that already has partnership with VISA.
It's really nothing extraordinary to even issue own VISA cards - just a matter of security deposit of $500K or something like that.
kj15

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 09:23:47 AM

[/quote]

[/quote]

Stop this FUD.

They said cards will be issued by WaveCrest Ltd. that already has partnership with VISA.
It's really nothing extraordinary to even issue own VISA cards - just a matter of security deposit of $500K or something like that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

FUD? These are facts.

Just look at the TKN on Bittrex -> -68 % free fall.
Meanwhile other alts are down -25 %.

cvitanihc0011

Activity: 35

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 09:46:35 AM

[/quote]

Stop this FUD.

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Visa logo was a good marketing trick/bait that got a lot of people interested in this project . I don't see them putting out a decent explanation about this issue...they are just downplaying things and making them worst .
And they should stop with this bshit go to that link / slack / page for info .. etc. Be transparent...put the info on the main tkn page so we can all see the news/udates...and not have to open different slack / pages / twitters etc .

# for token holders that don't know how to see the tokens after transfer from singular wallet in the ICO .. export your private key and import it in MyEtherWallet . The guys from Singular helped me last night .

As for the price...not sure if people are dumping or it has to do with the fact that Bitcoin is up 10% and people are taking profit from ICO and buying BTc
welshminer

Activity: 39

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 09:52:09 AM

FUD? These are facts.

What are your facts? Price going down on the second day of trading? During the overall crypto-market downtrend?

Here are the facts:
"Partnership", as you call it, with VISA isn't that hard to get. I used to work for a company that issued MasterCard - the franchise cost EUR250,000 that goes towards a security deposit, plus EUR100,000 setup fee. Very simple - just pay MC their fees and you are good to go. The same applies to VISA.

Even easier if TKN works with WaveCrest. All KYC/AML is done by WaveCrest, WaveCrest provides all API's and so on. "White label" at WaveCrest costs approx. $50,000.
There are a dozen companies offering "Bitcoin" debit cards, all are working with WaveCrest - it is easy as ***k.

As for VISA logo, nothing illegal here either - thousands of websites show VISA logo, and since WaveCrest issues VISA cards - it is absolutely reasonable to mention what kind of cards TKN will be using.

This is not an issue at all.
So don't post silly statements if you don't know what you are talking about.
romanekras

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 10:37:36 AM

TokenCard Fixes Disbursement Bug, Trades on Bittrex
Wrapping up a bugfix following its initial coin offering (ICO), TokenCard has disbursed TKNs to investors and announced TKNs are now listed on the UK-based Bittrex exchange.
mummybtc

Activity: 868

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 11:59:45 AM

FUD? These are facts.

What are your facts? Price going down on the second day of trading? During the overall crypto-market downtrend?

Here are the facts:
"Partnership", as you call it, with VISA isn't that hard to get. I used to work for a company that issued MasterCard - the franchise cost EUR250,000 that goes towards a security deposit, plus EUR100,000 setup fee. Very simple - just pay MC their fees and you are good to go. The same applies to VISA.

Even easier if TKN works with WaveCrest. All KYC/AML is done by WaveCrest, WaveCrest provides all API's and so on. "White label" at WaveCrest costs approx. $50,000.
There are a dozen companies offering "Bitcoin" debit cards, all are working with WaveCrest - it is easy as ***k.

As for VISA logo, nothing illegal here either - thousands of websites show VISA logo, and since WaveCrest issues VISA cards - it is absolutely reasonable to mention what kind of cards TKN will be using.

This is a serious issue for a brand name like Visa, They have a name to protect so being associated with a platform like TKN that has bug issue is bad for business
Reaper3

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 12:13:14 PM

This was already mentioned in another thread before the ICO, the shouldn't have used the VISA logo.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1880881.0

CHANGE FINANCE First Decentralised Global Crypto Bank
[color=#15B5E2 ]LINK TO ICO | LINK TO DISCUSSION
Reaper3

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 12:16:31 PM

FUD? These are facts.

Here are the facts:

There is no certainty about this as you imply, especially since it envolves cryptocurrencies. This is the same issue Waves had, when they said their coin would be added on POLO. "Would be" changed to "maybe" after the ICO. In the end it's still not there. I am not saying they won't get a deal but implying they already have is just wrong.

Reaper3

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 12:17:52 PM

They lied noobs plus the partnership with visa is not real .

We did already mention this in the other thread..

Kazadar

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 12:21:36 PM

FUD? These are facts.

You are comparing the opening bid on Bittrex which is always way to high with the actual price. Look at what the price was at Liqui. Even at its peak it wasnt 100k, on Bittrex it started at 150K

Also the fact that the VISA will be handled by a 3rd party was both in the FAQ and the whitepaper, so its not really a surprise.

geoxadem

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:15:59 PM

They removed the visa logo from the homepage, very shady lol
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 »
  Print  

Jump to: