Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:40:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AMEX inquiry of BFL  (Read 2382 times)
Geremia (OP)

Activity: 499
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 12:58:34 AM

Here's what I wrote (I was limited to a certain # of characters):
I've been trying to contact BFL (butterflylabs.com), but they have not responded. My order was charged before even shipping, and this company has been suspected of being a scam because they do not estimate when your order will be shipped, and people have been waiting for their products for over a year, with no proof BFL will actually deliver them, and PayPal is disputing with BFL to deliver. Pressure them to deliver or reverse my transaction. thx
I am going to contact PayPal as well. I think we should pressure credit card companies and PayPal to investigate BFL.

BTC tip jar | my BTC wiki, BTC StackExchange | Tox ID: 65C3E8810738AD9D175234808FCB317A1103632903436203D45411AE97C03F54C34861AB6663
Join Kraken. | The best, free book on Bitcoin: Mastering Bitcoin
Nos cum prole pia benedicat Virgo Maria.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:12:44 PM

Here's what I wrote (I was limited to a certain # of characters):
I've been trying to contact BFL (butterflylabs.com), but they have not responded. My order was charged before even shipping, and this company has been suspected of being a scam because they do not estimate when your order will be shipped, and people have been waiting for their products for over a year, with no proof BFL will actually deliver them, and PayPal is disputing with BFL to deliver. Pressure them to deliver or reverse my transaction. thx
you lost all your credibility right there. Also, you got a huge run-on sentence in the middle.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
infebious

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:28:24 PM

Then there's the fact that they actually are shipping products (twitter.com/bfl_news) albeit not in the quantity or manner they initially predicted.  Did you place an order on a credit card hoping you would pay the next bill with your mining earnings?
LazyOtto

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:51:49 PM

"waiting for their products for over a year"

It never helps your credibility when you start out with a falsehood.
Geremia (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 06:13:56 AM

How is that false?

BTC tip jar | my BTC wiki, BTC StackExchange | Tox ID: 65C3E8810738AD9D175234808FCB317A1103632903436203D45411AE97C03F54C34861AB6663
LazyOtto

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:15:57 AM

What product has one been able to order for over a year which is yet to be delivered?

-- edit - more neutral language
Geremia (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 06:24:27 AM

Also, you got a huge run-on sentence in the middle.
Haha at least it wasn't a sentence fragment. Smiley

Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 11:15:38 AM

All of their ads say nothing about these being preorders so people are being misled.

Geremia (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 04:02:18 PM

What product has one been able to order for over a year which is yet to be delivered?
At the time of writing that I didn't realize they started accepting orders in June 2012. I thought it was earlier.

Geremia (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 11:31:57 PM

I just received a letter from American Express today saying they are beginning their investigation of BFL, but it could take up to 6-8 weeks. Hopefully it'll prod BFL to deliver.

Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:24:31 AM

I just received a letter from American Express today saying they are beginning their investigation of BFL, but it could take up to 6-8 weeks. Hopefully it'll prod BFL to deliver.

They cannot deliver what they don't have.

Your own greed clouds your judgement.  You recognize that BFL's business practices are unethical but you are so eager to get your hands on their magic box that you still give your money to them.

Since it will still be months to take delivery from them, it is easy to calculate that it is more profitable to buy gear from friedcat or other sources for immediate delivery than it is to pay Josh's 'bargain' price.
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 05:24:05 AM

Your own greed clouds your judgement.  You recognize that BFL's business practices are unethical but you are so eager to get your hands on their magic box that you still give your money to them.

Since it will still be months to take delivery from them, it is easy to calculate that it is more profitable to buy gear from friedcat or other sources for immediate delivery than it is to pay Josh's 'bargain' price.

I ordered on April 10. I came to the same conclusion a few days ago and I cancelled yesterday. The spammy "we're shipping" email pushed me into action. The hardest thing was realizing I made a mistake and had to correct it, but I feel very comfortable with the decision.

I don't think is going to end well for the majority of their customers, certainly anyone who ordered in the last couple of months (which is where the majority of their orders came from).

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Entropy-uc

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 05:33:54 AM

I ordered on April 10. I came to the same conclusion a few days ago and I cancelled yesterday. The spammy "we're shipping" email pushed me into action. The hardest thing was realizing I made a mistake and had to correct it, but I feel very comfortable with the decision.

I don't think is going to end well for the majority of their customers, certainly anyone who ordered in the last couple of months (which is where the majority of their orders came from).

A wise decision.

Depending on how you look at things, it's not just recent buyers who are certain to do poorly.  Many people emptied their bitcoin reserves to buy last summer.   It took over 200 BTC to buy a single back then. My estimates of future hash rates suggest that recovery of that bitcoin will never happen.  On a dollar basis they might still do quite well, of course.  But so has everyone else that has been mining for the past year, and some of us have Bitcoin in hand to convert to profits.  :-)

In terms of opportunity costs, that 200 BTC could have bought 40 GH/s from friedcat this week.  Or nearly 4 round 2 Avalons (270 GH/s) that should arrive by the end of May.  And don't even think about what investing it with friedcat last fall would have done instead of investing it in BFL.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 05:39:21 AM

How is that false?

The first pre-orders weren't taken until late June 2012.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
stripykitteh
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 05:40:20 AM

A wise decision.

Depending on how you look at things, it's not just recent buyers who are certain to do poorly.  Many people emptied their bitcoin reserves to buy last summer.   It took over 200 BTC to buy a single back then. My estimates of future hash rates suggest that recovery of that bitcoin will never happen, unless you were one of the 5 or 6 people who got Jalepenos in the last few weeks.  On a dollar basis they might still do quite well, of course.  But so has everyone else that has been mining for the past year, and some of us have Bitcoin in hand to convert to profits.  :-)

In terms of opportunity costs, that 200 BTC could have bought 40 GH/s from friedcat this week.  Or nearly 4 round 2 Avalons (270 GH/s) that should arrive by the end of May.  And don't even think about what investing it with friedcat last fall would have done instead of investing it in BFL.

Yes, though it wasn't clear then out of the 3 ASIC companies who the winners and losers were going to be. Or should that be winners and loser. In this 3 horse race 3rd place doesn't pay, it's a fail.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
Entropy-uc

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 05:53:36 AM

Yes, though it wasn't clear then out of the 3 ASIC companies who the winners and losers were going to be. Or should that be winners and loser. In this 3 horse race 3rd place doesn't pay, it's a fail.

Amusingly enough, the only reason there was a race was because BFL wanted to poison the FPGA market where real credible competition had arisen, choking off their cash flow.

Without their fraudulent announcement and schedule, we would probably only see ASIC development starting now as the price increase and improved acceptance of BTC finally justifies the risks.
stripykitteh
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 06:06:20 AM

Amusingly enough, the only reason there was a race was because BFL wanted to poison the FPGA market where real credible competition had arisen, choking off their cash flow.

Without their fraudulent announcement and schedule, we would probably only see ASIC development starting now as the price increase and improved acceptance of BTC finally justifies the risks.

Sort of like the Space Race only taking 13 years from Sputnik to Apollo 11.

I cannot believe they still have 'July' as their estimated shipping date. Where I live (Australia) they would have been taken to court for misleading and deceptive conduct ages ago. At the moment their strategy appears to be to give a refund to anyone who screams for one (I had to raise a dispute with Paypal to get mine, my emails were ignored). But that's not gonna work anymore when everyone stops believing the promises and heads for the exit at the same time. Anyone who agreed to the changes in the contract of sale yesterday will find out that time is not an essential term of the contract and BFL have an unlimited amount of time to deliver.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
Geremia (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 07:27:17 AM

That's just an assumption on your part.
You recognize that BFL's business practices are unethical but you are so eager to get your hands on their magic box that you still give your money to them.
I am not sure they are unethical, despite having evidence that could make it seem they are; I'd like to assume they're not until proven guilty.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 07:50:24 AM

Your post history shows that you claim to have ordered this month (I presume you actually mean April).  Last month BFL's website was definitely saying that delivery may take two months or more after order and that all sales are final.  It still does.  Accuracy doesn't seem to be your thing.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Geremia (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 04:00:11 PM

Your post history shows that you claim to have ordered this month (I presume you actually mean April).  Last month BFL's website was definitely saying that delivery may take two months or more after order and that all sales are final.  It still does.  Accuracy doesn't seem to be your thing.
Yes, I remember that.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: