Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:18:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie gpu question  (Read 472 times)
Blueberry408 (OP)

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

One American Sumbitch Which Love 8

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:30:43 AM

advanced micro devices

Hi, so I was thinking about mining with a bunch a cards, but I was wondering of the amd gpus:

Are there any gpus that benefit from crossfire? I've read it doesn't help, but, maybe it might.

Idk, let me know what you think. Btc tracks amd stock fairly well, no?

Feel free to send along any spare floating point remainders: 1CVTqVbqHTw35xGKfp4vmxggKdkMVwswtr

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lemmz

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:46:01 AM

No, you mine from each card independently.
Chrithu

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:47:42 PM

This.

When multiple cards are in your machine they are all recognised (provided the PCI-E Slot they are in can handle them) and the dirver is installed for each of them. Any miner will also recognize all the cards but will use only one for mining. If you want to mine on several cards you have to start the miner once for each card and tell it which card to use.

All that crossfire does is enable the cards to synchronize and split up the rendering of a frame. This is only needed for games, because the snychronization is crucial as the split up work between the cards usually means that card one renders the upper half and card two renders the lower half of a frame. If that renering isn't synched the two halfs do not match which looks stupid.

The result of this is: Depending on availability near you you safe between 6 and 20 bucks in initial costs because you don't need to buy the crossfire bridges when you use the machione in question just for mining and not for gaming.

Yurizhai

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:49:46 PM

This.

When multiple cards are in your machine they are all recognised (provided the PCI-E Slot they are in can handle them) and the dirver is installed for each of them. Any miner will also recognize all the cards but will use only one for mining. If you want to mine on several cards you have to start the miner once for each card and tell it which card to use.

All that crossfire does is enable the cards to synchronize and split up the rendering of a frame. This is only needed for games, because the snychronization is crucial as the split up work between the cards usually means that card one renders the upper half and card two renders the lower half of a frame. If that renering isn't synched the two halfs do not match which looks stupid.

The result of this is: Depending on availability near you you safe between 6 and 20 bucks in initial costs because you don't need to buy the crossfire bridges when you use the machione in question just for mining and not for gaming.

Here's another question. If I had say 2-7 cards, could I use 1-6 of them for mining and one for gaming at the same time?
tastycat

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:52:08 PM

Yeah, you would just have to make sure that the output that you were using was from the correct card.

But you'd probably not want to do that unless you've got really good cooling.
tuomas56

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:56:10 PM

Yeah, but be careful which miner you use as some use all available cards.
so use more advanced miners like CGminer, GUIminer of UfasoftCPU.
dancrn

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:17:58 PM

the SHA hashing involved in bitcoin mining has literally no data overhead. the crossfire and SLI links from AMD and nvidia, are all about data transfer between two GPUs rendering images.

so no, crossfire is not going to make a difference, i'm afraid!

thanks,
sfraise

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:28:04 PM

Just load up on as many radeon 7970's as you can and chain them with extenders and mine away, at least until next month when the bfl asics hit the scene in force. They'll be shipped at the end of the month, just like they were going to be shipped at the end of last month, and at the end of the month before that, all the way back to October of last year I believe lol.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: