Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 03:05:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do NOT declare that you have ever owned bitcoins  (Read 6512 times)
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 12:58:45 PM

What about the wallet on your computer? Don't you think it's existence is sufficient proof that you own the bitcoins at the addresses it contains?

That would be sufficient proof, but in order to get your computer, they would need a warrant, and in order to get a warrant, they would need to have some proof already.

Also, you could (and should) use a program like TrueCrypt to encrypt your entire hard drive. That way, it will be impossible to know if you had any wallets on your PC.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/09/12/key-disclosure-laws-can-be-used-to-confiscate-bitcoin-assets/
Schrankwand

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 11:46:02 AM

What about the wallet on your computer? Don't you think it's existence is sufficient proof that you own the bitcoins at the addresses it contains?

That would be sufficient proof, but in order to get your computer, they would need a warrant, and in order to get a warrant, they would need to have some proof already.

Also, you could (and should) use a program like TrueCrypt to encrypt your entire hard drive. That way, it will be impossible to know if you had any wallets on your PC.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/09/12/key-disclosure-laws-can-be-used-to-confiscate-bitcoin-assets/

Well. Have one or two coins in a wallet. And thousand in the other. Pausible deniability. Done.

hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:47:56 PM

How can a nation tell who's using crypto currency? Isn't there a level of anonymity that will make it cumbersome trying to pinpoint who to tax?

Well it sure is a lot easier than figuring out who is using paper cash... 
Lailoken

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:44:19 AM

How can a nation tell who's using crypto currency? Isn't there a level of anonymity that will make it cumbersome trying to pinpoint who to tax?

Well it sure is a lot easier than figuring out who is using paper cash... 

I would actually say that it is about equal! And frankly in many ways bitcoins are better than pure cash. If you have any faith in crypto at all you have to imagine that the goods and services available through bit/other coins will only continue to increase.
Primrose

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:54:33 PM

It's a good job I aint got any coins and only made out I did so I could learn what i did Tongue
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: