Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:39:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multi-Rig Updater - Update all your Claymore mining rigs in 30 seconds or less!  (Read 760 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
pikachuy (OP)

Activity: 544
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2017, 12:33:12 PM

Hello everyone. I am sharing a simple tool that I made for myself to update all my rigs in about 30 seconds or less. (Sorry, Window users only). It even loads up Claymore if it crashes or not running.

After reading that some people are taking couple of hours or even a whole day to update all their rigs when Claymore releases new versions, I decided my tool can help others out. It also works the same when downgrading versions when the new versions don’t work to your expectations.

Basically with this, you can update all your rigs in about 30 seconds or less. Doesn’t matter if you have just 2 rigs or 1,000+ rigs. It works the same across the board. The only time consuming part is the initial set-up, but once that is done, you are good to go for all future Claymore updates. (Note: I have only tested this with Claymore's Dual Ethereum miner, but it could work with other files)

Don’t worry, I included source codes. I have nothing to hide, so you can compile it yourself if you want using AutoIt.

Summary of how easy and quick to update all your rigs in the future:
  • Once you have completed the initial set-up and testing, to update all your rigs in the future:
  • Just download the Claymore version of your choosing.
  • Extract them into that folder in Dropbox and let it sync.
  • Done, all rigs updated and running newest version.

Lets Begin (Initial Set-up):
  • You will need to install Dropbox on a computer that isn’t a mining rig (see bottom of post for FAQ or a workaround if no spare computer is available). You can sign up for a free 2GB Dropbox account here: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/AAAUGsJpovyna9XEq0-dKkkNUpcqH-U8XA4?src=global9 It’s my referral link, so we each can get an additional 500MB of free Dropbox space when signing up.
  • Once you have installed Dropbox and sync up your account, download my tool here and extract it into a folder in Dropbox (You can label that folder “Claymore” if you like): https://mega.nz/#!YmoWBBQS!6APV9f4uMK0Ly36x8oWpVtS06o1A1NvZgWhCWBPyOQw
  • Now download any Claymore versions, and place them into that extracted folder in Dropbox. So all of Claymore files are with my files.
  • Once that is done, there should be a file labeled “_config.ini” in that extracted folder. There are three configurable options, change them as you please:
         *Config – This is the config line that you can input for Claymore to read. Similar to Claymore's start.bat
         *DelayTimer – This is the wait period in seconds for my tool to wait before running (I choose 30 seconds to make sure Windows fully loads up before starting my tool).
         *ProcessName – This is the process name of the file we are going to use/check on.
  • Once your option looks good, then it is ready to test.

Testing:
  • To test, install Dropbox on one of your/different mining rigs using the same Dropbox account and let it sync up.
  • Once it is done syncing your files, and if you want your rig to run this at startup every time when your computer boots up, then: Right click “_start.exe”, Choose “Create shortcut”, Move the newly created shortcut “_start.exe - Shortcut” to your start menu Startup folder.
  • Or else if you want to manually run it, then run my tool “_start.exe” instead of Claymore’s “start.bat” on your mining rig.
  • Let it fully run for a minute or two on your mining rig and take note of the Claymore version that shows on the screen when Claymore starts mining.
  • Then on your standalone computer, download a different Claymore version, and copy all of those files into the extracted folder in Dropbox and overwrite them except the following if you use them: config.txt, dpools.txt, epools.txt
  • Once your standalone computer is done syncing, you should see on your mining rig that your Dropbox synced the updated files also, and once done synced, you should notice my tool detected a new version, and it should exit the current running Claymore and reload Claymore with the updated version.
  • Once testing is successful and you see your mining rig updated to the version that you placed in Dropbox, you can now safely install Dropbox on all your mining rigs for them to all do the same.

What does it do or how does it work?
  • My simple tool basically does a MD5 check on the “ProcessName” and store it on first use at “C:\ClaymoreFileHash.ini”, basically it’s like a digital signature of that file.
  • It will scan that “ProcessName” in Dropbox to see if it matches your previous MD5 value. If the MD5 checksum value does not match, then it will update “C:\ClaymoreFileHash.ini” with it’s new value, and my tool will reload Claymore.
  • It also checks if “ProcessName” is not running, and run it if it's not running.
  • That is how all your rigs will get updated quickly and easily because my tool checks the MD5 value of “ProcessName” in Dropbox every second.

Recommendations:
  • I recommend using either of these in your config:
Code:
-dbg -1
or
-logfile C:\claymorelog.txt
  • For no log file and no debug messages, use the first one.
  • Second one is to have log files be placed elsewhere instead of Claymore’s folder. Because if there is a log file in Claymore’s folder within Dropbox, your Dropbox is going try to sync that log file 24/7 across all your rigs.

FAQ:
Why can’t I install Dropbox on a mining rig?
  • Because you can’t copy and paste files if it is currently running on your computer. So if Claymore is running and you try to copy and paste the updated files, Windows won’t let you because the process is in use. But for some reason, if you copy and paste the files to Dropbox from a standalone computer that isn’t running Claymore, then somehow, all the files still get sync and updated in Dropbox on the mining rigs, even though the process is still in use.
  • A workaround to also use a mining rig is that if you are updating claymore, make sure you exit my tool and exit Claymore so they are not running. That way, you can successfully copy and paste updated Claymore files.

Please report any bugs or suggestions, I have only tested this on my 4 rigs and it all went smoothly on my end.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: