Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:03:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does the Slashdot crowd hate Bitcoin?  (Read 3911 times)
philipp (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 12:38:17 PM

Looking at the comments in the few articles about Bitcoin that appeared on Slashdot so far, it seems the Slahsdot crowd really hates Bitcoin. However I do not see an obvious reason for that? Any ideas why the Slashdot crowd hates Bitcoin?

Philipp
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 12:41:30 PM

i am among slashdot crowd and love bitcoin.

its just so that the haters tend to post more than the passive lovers.
de_bert

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 12:43:38 PM

Because
a) They were not "a few", but quite many
b) the slashdot crowd is reaaaally biased in general.
For example everything iPhone is veeeery important, even if it's just some mention somewhere, but there has hardly ever been an article about WebOS, even when some really important and innovative stuff happened there.

So don't take it personally, but rather consider not reading Slashdot anymore ;-)
drapetomaniac

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 12:49:15 PM

I know a slashdot type of guy in real life who won't back bitcoin because he thinks it is far to insecure.
He believes it will become hacker central.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 12:54:12 PM

Slashdot is like any other big tech site, elitist to the core.

Blind elitist however, if they didnt know about a specific thing the day it came to light then it must be something terrible.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 12:58:55 PM

I'm a slashdot guy and I don't hate bitcoin. I don't love it either though.
I do however find the rampant libertarianism that comes with bitcoin somewhat annoying.
The tech is cool, though.
And it's quite obvious that many who frequent these forums are young, rather naive and not nearly as pragmatic as I am. And I also think it's far to insecure. I mined a few coins and that's all I'll invest in it.
I think bitcoin has a place, but I'm not sure it'll find it before something else takes over.

This was rather a stream of consciousness than a well thought out post, but take it for what it is.

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
philipp (OP)

Activity: 30

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 01:02:34 PM

I think bitcoin has a place, but I'm not sure it'll find it before something else takes over.

We might very well find, by the time there's a serious alternative, that Bitcoin is too well entrenched, and good enough for something else to take over. Just like ogg never really replaced mp3.

Philipp
drapetomaniac

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 01:06:44 PM

I'm a slashdot guy and I don't hate bitcoin. I don't love it either though.
I do however find the rampant libertarianism that comes with bitcoin somewhat annoying.
The tech is cool, though.
And it's quite obvious that many who frequent these forums are young, rather naive and not nearly as pragmatic as I am. And I also think it's far to insecure. I mined a few coins and that's all I'll invest in it.

This was rather a stream of consciousness than a well thought out post, but take it for what it is.

What's annoying about realizing the inherent meta-aspect of liberty the concept of bitcoin contains?  Centralized authorities have almost always had control over the monetary supply of the people and bitcoin is the first viable alternative.  I think when something as basic as currency can be shown to work effectively without control by a violent monopoly (the State), people may begin to explore that basic philosophy of liberty in other areas as well.
you2

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 01:32:37 PM

Maybe some science guy (not payed by the government ;-)) should study the pros and cons of bitcoin  and show the results in public!

BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 02:27:34 PM

Because old people hate new things that they don't understand, no matter how educated they are.
de_bert

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 02:55:09 PM

I'm beginning to feel old, too, but I believe in BitCoin - and I don't like Slashdot as I used to :-)
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 03:27:34 PM

I think it is mostly the way Bitcoin was introduced on Slashdot (spammy fanboyism slashvertisement) that slashdot people don't like bitcoin. I think the slashdot people would have loved the concept if it wasn't introduced that way and pushed through their throats.
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 04:34:58 PM

I used to read slashdot more often. I wondered the same thing, seems like most of the above comments got some portion of why the crowed isn't into it.  I would think the sd crowd would be able to understand it better than the average person and accept btc.  But it takes more than understanding.

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
littlebittycoin

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:36:46 PM

iv noticed this as well but even diff people then slash online groups should love the idea of bitcoins
JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 05:34:22 PM

What's annoying about realizing the inherent meta-aspect of liberty the concept of bitcoin contains?  Centralized authorities have almost always had control over the monetary supply of the people and bitcoin is the first viable alternative.  I think when something as basic as currency can be shown to work effectively without control by a violent monopoly (the State), people may begin to explore that basic philosophy of liberty in other areas as well.

That. Just that.
"The gubbimint's bad, mkay?"
Bloody annoying is what it is.
Like the tech, hate the fanbois.

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
Computer Stuff

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 06:39:24 PM

Because old people hate new things that they don't understand, no matter how educated they are.

So I guess we know what you will be like in old age then!

Personally I'm surprised at just how quickly the majority has gained so much computer literacy.  I’m in my late 50s so I often encounter age discrimination, but to be fair I wasn’t the most open minded person myself when I was young so perhaps I’m getting back some of what I gave.
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 06:59:05 PM

Looking at the comments in the few articles about Bitcoin that appeared on Slashdot so far, it seems the Slahsdot crowd really hates Bitcoin. However I do not see an obvious reason for that? Any ideas why the Slashdot crowd hates Bitcoin?

Philipp

Experts in general are competent in their field but incompetent in others. In this case, they're good with computer science and engineering but bad with economics and political science. Also, there have been several stories about Bitcoin. The Slashdot crowd hates repetition and attention-seeking. Many people perceive the spate of Bitcoin stories to be a way to pump up the value of Bitcoin. That combined with the jealousy over not getting involved earlier makes them generally bitter.
de_bert

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 07:12:37 AM

It may, btw, also have to do with the terribly inaccurate reporting on Slashdot:
http://it.slashdot.org/story/11/06/19/2125252/Bitcoin-Price-Crashes
NF6X

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 08:17:34 AM

Is there anything in the world that some vocal subset of Slashdot doesn't hate?
nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:27:24 AM

/. are a bunch of old fogeys that are slow to adopt new things (sometimes, anyway)

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: