Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 05:26:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How can we expect "average Joe" to remember passphrases to his Bitcoins?  (Read 4065 times)
GetClams.com

Activity: 179
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 11:52:07 PM

It's actually pretty easy, because the average Joe is generally less stupid than people think.  All they have to do is back up their computer, or have a hardware wallet, or write it down on some paper which is hidden somewhere - it's actually quite easy really and people often even burn their bank details and reports.

The main reason why people sometimes lose their passphrases is that they're tech geeks and they care a thousand times more than the average Joe about their security.  It's just transferring responsibility from the bank to the user.

1. put it on paper.
2. split it up
3. laminate
4. give to different people who don't know each other to hold.

Problem solved.

Whatever method you use, its better than being sloppy and getting hacked.

Tyrantt

Activity: 1022
Merit: 564

Need some spare btc for a new PC

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 12:55:13 AM

Maybe write them down or something? I mean it's not that great of a philosophy but it's really solvable. :/

This is a huge issue to me and someone needs to find a way to make the safekeeping of cryptocurrency easier and more fool-proof.

Saving a passphrase or writing down a password on a piece of paper is a huge issue for you? or is there something else maybe? Well the way and the level of security of your bitcoins is up to you, how careful are safe you're keeping them that's how safe they're going to be.

Need some spare btc for a new PC that can at least run Adobe Dreamweaver.

BTC - 19qm3kH4MZELkefEb55HCe4Y5jgRRLCQmn ♦♦♦ ETH - 0xd71ACd8781d66393eBfc3Acd65B224e97Ae1952D
YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 05:35:10 PM

Maybe write them down or something? I mean it's not that great of a philosophy but it's really solvable. :/

This is a huge issue to me and someone needs to find a way to make the safekeeping of cryptocurrency easier and more fool-proof.

Saving a passphrase or writing down a password on a piece of paper is a huge issue for you? or is there something else maybe? Well the way and the level of security of your bitcoins is up to you, how careful are safe you're keeping them that's how safe they're going to be.

Maybe he is just a forgetful kind of guy? and I think this is really bothersome and I have known someone that has an ATM password that is only 4 number that are needed but keeps on forgetting it, he needs the number to always be written in a paper, then keeps o looking at it every time he would withdraws from an ATM machine well it is a nature of some person, well problems like these I think it is pretty normal and since the passphrase was made with numbers and letters with a wide range and not only four digits I think he would need to hide a bunch of written passphrase and put it some where safe,
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1353

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 05:50:26 PM

They can write it down, place it somewhere safe or somewhere they can have access to easily. Put it in post-it notes in their house if they are living alone so that they cannot, for the love of god forget it. That isn't really a problem at all if people just look first into much simpler solutions.
andrei56

Activity: 840
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 03:05:23 AM

using a secure password manager app either on desktop or mobile can be helpful. that way you just have to remember ONE master password.
there are loads out there that are either free or have very low fees.
also you should always backup with two factor authentification!

Yep, password managers are definitely the way to go. KeePass is a great free option if someone is looking for one. You should never reuse passwords and password managers are the way to achieve that.
Yes passwords manager are a great way to manage and create strong password that protects our funds, Keepass is a great option but there are some other software that offers greater integration in the web browser for those lazy users that don’t want to lose a single second opening the program in the desktop.
DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
Merit: 644

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 09:56:38 AM

They can write it down, place it somewhere safe or somewhere they can have access to easily. Put it in post-it notes in their house if they are living alone so that they cannot, for the love of god forget it. That isn't really a problem at all if people just look first into much simpler solutions.
That is one of the best and safest way to avoid hackers to get accessed to your passphrases by writing it down to a notebook and keeping it on a safe place so your passphrases are stored offline and the hackers can't do anything to get that and hacked your wallet or account.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: