Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:45:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing BitCoins  (Read 1120 times)
bboques (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 01:31:15 PM

I travel for a living and am often away from my main desktop computer.  I setup the BC client with that computer, generated a few pay to addresses practiced with a +.01 transaction and then sent off the same .01 to see how it worked to and from 15kzjgzR862L2vLWNb5P7fBCXwxatsUpkr. 

I uninstalled the bitcoin client and forgot that I did that LOL, while all the time learning to mine and sending coins to the address which was generated from the uninstalled client weeks before.

I sent over 4 coins to it in the last month, and when I connected back to the desktop I realized the program was gone. I re-installed it and it came up with my same original public key. It also still had record of the +.01 and the -.01. But my balance showed 0.0 not 4.

If you search blockexplorer for my public key 15kzjgzR862L2vLWNb5P7fBCXwxatsUpkr here:
http://blockexplorer.com/address/15kzjgzR862L2vLWNb5P7fBCXwxatsUpkr

You can see that the blockchain shows that that public key's balance is above 4BTC currently, though I can not see any BTC in my wallet.

I tried a file recovery software to get my wallet.dat but could not find it. I also tried sending out BC from the client to see if the coins recognized on the block chain could be sent elsewhere, they could not due to my client not allowing it.

I am hoping that I would be able to use another method of sending those 4 BC to a new wallet, but is that impossible since my public and private key pairs can't match up after a reinstall? Definitely an odd problem, I am going to try a system restore to see if I can get it working.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
timmey

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 02:03:59 PM

Has your client finished downloading the complete blockchain yet? If not, your client may just not see the 4BTC yet, because they "are coming later" in a part of chain that the client hasn't downloaded yet.

Look in the bottom right corner of the client window, there you'll see the current block count. It should be at 138324 or more.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: