Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:39:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: old version of armory and stuck transaction  (Read 112 times)
chairman.faust (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 03:58:29 AM

• New to Armory and was unknowingly using an old version 0.96.0-beta with bitcoin core 14.1
  • It worked enough to receive bitcoin and since I didnt use it very often I didnt check for newer versions
  • I tried to send bitcoin to a retailer to complete a transaction on 12/10
  • The transaction fee it came up with was very low and the transaction remains unconfirmed, the retailer has canceled the order
  • I was able to remove unconfirmed transactions from armory and that transaction no longer appears in my wallet
  • The transaction does still appear unconfirmed on blockchain.info
  • I've since upgraded to bitcoin core 15.1 and armory 0.96.3.99-beta
  • Despite my wallet showing full funds I get a 258: txn-mempool-conflict error when trying to send bitcoin
  • I assume this is due to my unconfirmed transaction

So all that said, is there anything I can do? Will this eventually disappear after 72 hours allowing me to send bitcoin?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:01:31 AM

You shouldn't clear unconfirmed transactions from Armory when this stuff happens. You should RBF/CPFP instead. Now you're basically stuck with it. Consider deleting the mempool.dat of your Bitcoin node and spending the tx again.

chairman.faust (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 06:38:09 PM

You shouldn't clear unconfirmed transactions from Armory when this stuff happens. You should RBF/CPFP instead. Now you're basically stuck with it. Consider deleting the mempool.dat of your Bitcoin node and spending the tx again.

Good to know... still new to bitcoin... I think I may have accidentally done the CPFP trick. I deleted the mempool.dat file and attempted to transfer my entire wallet to another one I own and it appears to be going through... 3 confirmations already... the original unconfirmed is still listed on bitcoin.info but the new funds are showing up. I'm assuming the ridiculous fee i had to pay will cover the unconfirmed transaction and I can move on. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction... taking full advantage of this teachable moment heh
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 10:59:36 PM

I think I may have accidentally done the CPFP trick.

That would be RBF (replace by fee), where you get to double spend an unconfirmed transaction by beefing up the fee on the later instance. CPFP (child pays for parent) is when you spend the change of your stuck transaction with a massive fee to pull the parent tx in. For the miner to get the juicy fee on the second tx, they have to mine the first one too.

and it appears to be going through... 3 confirmations already...

As long as you get a confirmation, you're good.

the original unconfirmed is still listed on bitcoin.info but the new funds are showing up.

That explorer is shit, don't use it.

I'm assuming the ridiculous fee i had to pay will cover the unconfirmed transaction and I can move on.

If you have moved all of your coins from the origin wallet to the target wallet as you describe, then you have effectively double spent the stuck unconfirmed transaction you pushed originally. That tx will never confirm now, as it is invalid.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: