Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:50:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Has ANYONE got their parents on board the Bitcoin train?  (Read 2288 times)
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 03:31:14 PM

Just curious.

It would say a lot about the future of Bitcoin if Baby Boomers could understand enough to use/get the hang of using Bitcoin.

Matthew
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Earthlite Organics

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 03:44:38 PM

I showed the weusecoins.com promo video to my mom. It presents the concept of bitcoins in an easy to understand manner. She likes the idea and supports me upgrading my system a bit so I can mine on the side.

Also planning to have an online BTC-friendly store, and a site to spread bitcoin awareness.  Smiley
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 03:58:26 PM

Just curious.

It would say a lot about the future of Bitcoin if Baby Boomers could understand enough to use/get the hang of using Bitcoin.

Matthew

baby boomer here...

just give me a few minutes to sidle up to your ageism in my walker...

eh, now? < points ear trumpet... >  what's that y'say, sonny?

i got my 22 year old daughter to get involved with Bitcoin.  i think it was easier because i educated her about operating systems some time ago, and she is now an ardent linux user (and has converted others to FOSS).

saayyy...  you don't use windoze, do ya sonny?
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:11:16 PM

Most parents are getting used to the computer in general.  Bitcoins are not user friendly to the general computer user.  Oh wait...

Mtgox hacked, client hacked, volatile market, lead anonymous dev, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Why do I want my parents in on this again???
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:15:04 PM

I've had both my parents mining for over a week now. My dad gets about 180mH/s and my mom gets about 12mH/s on her laptop, LOL.

My brother did for a weekend but then he quit... not sure why because he's unemployed and can do about 250mH/s with his computer.
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:15:53 PM

Most parents are getting used to the computer in general.  Bitcoins are not user friendly to the general computer user.  Oh wait...

Mtgox hacked, client hacked, volatile market, lead anonymous dev, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Why do I want my parents in on this again???

ummm...

because we invented the internet, and can show you how  to use it safely?
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 04:16:58 PM

I got my mom and grandmother to sign up at bitcoin bonus.  My grandmother got confused, and knows it, I think my mom got confused, but she doesn't realise it yet.

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:17:58 PM

Just curious.

Matthew

baby boomer here...

i got my 22 year old daughter to get involved with Bitcoin.  i think it was easier because i educated her about operating systems some time ago, and she is now an ardent linux user (and has converted others to FOSS).

Hahaha...

But to answer your question, no I don't use Windows. I use Linux Mint 11, 100% of the time for work and personal.
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:21:19 PM

Just curious.

Matthew

baby boomer here...

Hahaha...

But to answer your question, no I don't use Windows. I use Linux Mint 11, 100% of the time for work and personal.

you should try LMDE.  mint's a good distro in general, but the debian spin is much more versatile.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:22:00 PM

My mom was curious to understand BitCoin! So, I tabbed a few easy to understand sites explaining it...She didn't get it! Cheesy
She also doesn't understand how to use multiple HDD, one for system only, and one for the useless BS she downloads, then opens without a scan!

neptop

Activity: 314
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 07:31:28 PM

Oh no, Generation "I am 1337, I can do Linux"  Wink
(Just joking!)

Just joking. Educating people...
I am nut sure whether that's really a good thing. I think that people would be much more "educated" if they'd have to learn on their own. It's just an unproven theory though.

BitCoin address: 1E25UJEbifEejpYh117APmjYSXdLiJUCAZ
tanerlorn

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:52:38 PM

I went in 50/50 with my dad on a rig.
pokermon919

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 11:38:51 PM

I've had both my parents mining for over a week now. My dad gets about 180mH/s and my mom gets about 12mH/s on her laptop, LOL.

My brother did for a weekend but then he quit... not sure why because he's unemployed and can do about 250mH/s with his computer.

Should stop your mom from mining on the laptop, they never have enough cooling for mining work.
tymothy

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 12:07:58 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2011, 01:06:16 AM by tymothy

Average Joes aren't going to start using bitcoin as a downloadable client. It's too complicated and the concept that their wallet file IS their wallet is way too difficult and upsetting. Parents and mainstream folks will get into bitcoins when the interface is as simple as Paypal. And yes, that involves storing wallet files in the cloud, security issues be damned.

"I WANT THE BITCOINS"
"Ok, go here and create an account. Ok, now type in your credit card information and how many you want. Ok, now they're in your account. You can pay whoever else now."

DO IT NERDS.
nosfera2

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 12:17:50 AM

My 62-year-old dad is away on a trip and gets back in a week or so and he's already ordered the hardware for his mining rig. I actually had to curb his enthusiasm a little because he wanted to set up two rigs, even though the chances of recouping mining rig costs are looking sketchy at the moment with the way difficulty is rising.

In any case it's great to have yet another hobbby to share with my dad. Smiley
Yatta99

Activity: 84

I need an new box...

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 04:20:54 AM

As someone that's a tail-end boomer myself, I'd say that my parents are more likely to be run over by the Bitcoin train  Undecided Mom is proud of herself, she can now do 'the email thing' without help anymore. Dad, who is old, set in his ways, and knows EVERYTHING EVER has recently been broken of his habit of shutting the computer down by turning off the switch on the power strip  Cry Personally, I think I'd have better luck teaching my cat to make me coffee in the morning. Bitcoins, like computers and other technology, just aren't for some people.

I still hear dad complain from time to time about how he misses Windows 3.1  Roll Eyes

Tips for new box to: 16s14wcsNo5TcdsGLttL7B1XWiCv8E4L6A
teejayrichard2

Activity: 574
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:32:41 AM

I actually thought of this but my parents are a little far from me. I can't explain btc properly to them through phone call, need to show them how it works properly and explain its principles to them. BTC is a little complex especially to those who have no idea about it. But its a welcomed idea getting your parents involved. 
geitrin

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:44:58 AM

Yes, they gave me some money and I bought some coins for them.
Rules85

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:49:13 AM

But how can the baby bear such a high handling fee? That doesn't sound realistic at the moment, and there may be new technologies in the future that could change the current pattern (expensive fees)

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
chocolah29

Activity: 588
Merit: 128

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 10:08:53 AM

I showed the weusecoins.com promo video to my mom. It presents the concept of bitcoins in an easy to understand manner. She likes the idea and supports me upgrading my system a bit so I can mine on the side.

Also planning to have an online BTC-friendly store, and a site to spread bitcoin awareness.  Smiley

Your mom must be cool and I assume that she's somehow a techy person for embracing what our world like.

For my case, my father knew bitcoin because he saw me and my brother facing for a whole day in our monitor yet we still manage to have money and help them and with that he got curious and watch some videos of bitcoin. But he never invested in despite of all his knowledge, maybe he's just busy with his business. And every now and then he ask us what's new in bitcoin.

SUBSCRIBE NOW
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: