Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:11:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: List of bitcoin hostile banks. [edit] New thread see first line.  (Read 30690 times)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 06:21:24 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 06:38:04 PM by Lethn

This is a good list, it will let us keep a record of who our friends and enemies are in the financial sector, maybe you could also point out the ones that have been friendly to Bitcoin as well.

Edit: Oops didn't read the thread carefully since I'm tired, I see you've already done that Cheesy
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:11:11 PM

Capital One                                          ?                        Shut down bitfloor account

Bitfloor has done a piss poor job in handling this, but I still sympathize, shame on you Capitol One.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:06:54 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2013, 10:12:42 PM by Fuzzy

Updated Scotiabank status.

CANADA (5 banks by law)

Royal Bank of Canada - Closed CaVirtex and "Canadian Bitcoins" trading accounts.

Toronto-Dominion Bank - Closed "CADBitcoin" trading account

Bank of Nova Scotia - Closed "CaVirtex" cash account

Bank of Montreal - Working with CaVirtex

Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce - No information
Isokivi (OP)

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 08:02:42 AM

CANADA (5 banks by law)

Royal Bank of Canada - Closed CaVirtex and "Canadian Bitcoins" trading accounts.

Thank you, added to the Op.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 02:53:34 PM

If you are going to make a list of friendly banks I would like some evidence that they are actually supporting btc in some way to be on that list or else they should be labelled "Neutral"

I am particularly interested in the Bank of Montreal because I am Canadian and also have an account with CaVirtex.

Simply "working with CaVirtex" isn't a reason to consider them "friendly" to btc. 

I think all banks should be considered "Neutral" to btc until you can provide evidence that they have actually taken some action or made some form of announcement that they are not against btc.

Did the BMO actually state they are working with CaVirtex?  If not, they may be planning to shut down their bank account any day now.

Anyone have any evidence they aren't planning on shutting down CaVirtex's accounts?
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 03:56:48 PM

Any recommended banks in the UK, or just the odd one to avoid?

AmunRa

Activity: 338

I use recycled electrons

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 04:09:30 PM

CANADA (5 banks by law)

Thank you, added to the Op.
Yeah ..Scotiabank closed my account too..I was using it to trade BTC ...they are going bananas here in Canada..lol..the Scotiabank manager referred to bitcoin as  "trading bit money " lol ..anyway ...I believe they are concerned that the new kid on the block might steal their cake.

Oracol Xor-Stay tuned for ICO info www.oracol.mobi
ManBearPig

Activity: 350

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 07:40:42 PM

I'll pay off my BarclayCard balance, close the account and tell them why.

They of course won't give a shit about one customer but I'll do my bit.

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
jolonnar

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:33:19 PM

I will close my TD account this week citing their unwarranted hostility towards Bitcoin as the reason.

just empty the account and leave it. Assholes at TD try to charge you 60$ to close account.

Just a note--I did this with a TD account a couple of years back (obnoxious service) and they helpfully overdrafted the account with account fees, then charged me an overdraft fee, then shut down the account and started sending me collections notices on the "money owed"...
Fuzzy

Activity: 560

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:38:01 PM

I am particularly interested in the Bank of Montreal because I am Canadian and also have an account with CaVirtex.

Simply "working with CaVirtex" isn't a reason to consider them "friendly" to btc.  

I think all banks should be considered "Neutral" to btc until you can provide evidence that they have actually taken some action or made some form of announcement that they are not against btc.

Point taken. Green would be friendly, Blue is "Tolerant", Black for no data, and Red for Hostile.

It's also questionable if staying in a country where industry is hostile towards systems that are a net good for society is the best option.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 11:01:52 PM

Does PayPal get honorary mention in the hostile "bank*" list for effectively declaring war on Bitcoin?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=202431.msg2114217#msg2114217

* Assuming Paypal is bank-like enough with its user currency accounts and payment processing service.

Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:45:55 AM

Why not list e-wallet companies like moneybookers and paypal, and what about other payment processors. These companies also interface between fiat to btc.
Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 06:01:34 AM

Does PayPal get honorary mention in the hostile "bank*" list for effectively declaring war on Bitcoin?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=202431.msg2114217#msg2114217

* Assuming Paypal is bank-like enough with its user currency accounts and payment processing service.

Thank you, Paypal has been added to the list.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 06:02:24 AM

Why not list e-wallet companies like moneybookers and paypal, and what about other payment processors. These companies also interface between fiat to btc.

Both belong on the list, could someone please link me some info on moneybookers to post as proof.

Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 07:49:48 PM

Both belong on the list, could someone please link me some info on moneybookers to post as proof.

https://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=terms

11. Prohibited Transactions
11.1. It is strictly forbidden to send or receive payments as consideration for the sale or supply of:

Third party processing or payment aggregation products or services
Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 12:41:27 PM

Copypaste from reddit:

"Just received this e-mail:

DWOLLA

As of 12:13 PM on 5/14/2013:

You’re receiving this notice because our systems have indicated that you’ve processed and completed a real-time Dwolla-to-Dwolla payment to Mutum Sigillum LLC (“Mt. Gox”) within the last 24 hours.

Due to recent court orders received from the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, Dwolla is no longer legally able to service Mutum Sigillum LLC’s account.

This is a courtesy email encouraging you to follow up on any uncompleted orders with Mutum Sigillum LLC as Dwolla is now unable to move money to and from Mutum Sigillum LLC’s Dwolla account.

Dwolla is not party to this matter nor does it have any information or further insight into the situation. We strongly encourages those with questions to contact Mutum Sigillum LLC

Note: Dwolla requires a court order before honoring requests such as seizing funds or revoking access to an account.

On behalf of Dwolla, we apologize for this inconvenience."

halfawake

Activity: 490

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 09:26:51 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2013, 10:15:18 PM by halfawake

I see Capital One listed here and I'm dismayed by that although not at all surprised given what I know about them as a company.  The reason for that is that I use them as an online savings account - not by choice, I have what was an ING Direct Savings account, but Capital One bought them out.  I was really hoping that GE would buy them out instead of Capital One because I like them better as a company and they were bidding on it when it was up for sale, but no such luck.

However, I am reluctant to change savings accounts because they have a feature that is extremely useful to me.  I bank Online only now and this Savings accounts lets me deposit checks simply by signing them and taking pictures and uploading the pictures.  It's extremely convenient.  That's really my only reason for wanting to stick with them as a Savings account; if anyone knows of another online Savings Account that has this feature, please let me know and I would love to switch.  I tried Barclays but their UI is terrible, and even before discovering that they were hostile to Bitcoin, I didn't like them because of they played a part in the LIBOR scandal.

One thing I would REALLY like to know is which bank the company Coinbase uses.  Even if they're somehow handling the bitcoin -> USD currency conversion all on their own, surely they have a business bank account somewhere and just because of the nature of their business, I'd say that bank is likely supportive of Bitcoin.

Edited to add: Capital One is a McLean, VA based company, so you could put United States down as far as where they're based.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
infested999

Activity: 854

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:59:27 PM

anyone can verify this by contacting the bank about opening an account for a bitcoin related buisness, perhaps someone fluent in german could do this ?

I will translate anything you want to German if anyone wants to do this.

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
Schrankwand

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 08:33:08 PM

anyone can verify this by contacting the bank about opening an account for a bitcoin related buisness, perhaps someone fluent in german could do this ?

Which bank? We could possibly do this too.
Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 03:45:05 PM

Which bank? We could possibly do this too.

"Sofort Bank                                      Germany                  Proof was given to me in a private message I will not publish, unless it's sender gives me the go ahead, my source tells me anyone can verify                                                                                                                       this by contacting the bank about opening an account for a bitcoin related buisness, perhaps someone fluent in german could do this ?"

I'd appreciate a verification on that.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: