Bitcoin Forum
September 23, 2018, 02:00:19 AM *
News: ♦♦ New info! Bitcoin Core users absolutely must upgrade to previously-announced 0.16.3 [Torrent]. All Bitcoin users should temporarily trust confirmations slightly less. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar Powered Mining  (Read 26384 times)
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 07:59:08 PM

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
In my first 6 months mining I want to try to set up at least a small solar powered project.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 08:15:49 PM

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
In my first 6 months mining I want to try to set up at least a small solar powered project.

Well, did a Google search and answered my own question. I have heard one person mention a Rasberry Pi and that was the first link that came up when I searched "Solar Powered Miner".

http://randomcontent.wolfnexus.net/RandomSite/solar-powering-a-raspberry-pi-for-bitcoin-mining/

This is EXTREMELY interesting, essentially FREE coins.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:17:07 PM

If you can setup a house that runs on solar power, I don't see why you couldn't setup an individual device for it Tongue

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 08:17:36 PM

Found this on Google too, a quote from this very website:

I have two Icarus miners running on solar power. Or well, I did for a few days before I had to give back the panel I was using. It's possible!

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 08:18:49 PM

If you can setup a house that runs on solar power, I don't see why you couldn't setup an individual device for it Tongue

Everyone is acting like it is not energy efficient though. So I was wondering, if you have the money to set up a power eating monster, couldn't you make a solar powered monster? And I ended up finding it out for myself. And when I quoted that post it suggested I make a new thread anyways, so this thread is not pointless.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 08:22:48 PM

Another Good Quote:
So I'd like to get back into mining to help contribute to the bitcoin network(major reason). I chose butterfly labs mining machines for the obvious reasons that they are highly effecient as far as hash to power consumption ratio and it keeps my computers clock cycles free for me to work, play games, run simulations, etc.

So my plan is to ask for a full loan from either one person or multiple sources to aquire the following

1]Butterfly labs hashing machine (single unit)
$634

2]Solar panel 160watt
$560
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0063MAMAC/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ei=eYyLT4LiE4POiAKYyuX3Cw&sa=X&ved=0CHQQgwgwAw

3]12v battery to store power.
$50
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002ILJZU/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

4]120v inverter to supply the correct voltage to the hashing machine.
Aquired!

All btc mined will go to all the sources that supplied the loans i wont take any profit until its compleltly paid off.
When the loans are payed off ill keep running the miner to help contribute to the network and i would also like to start over on the Mining Farm front end to push pool upon full payment of loan.

Im a freelance programmer making $300+ a month so i can also help payments go alot more quickly over time when the extra income is there. Im open to suggestions as far as payments go, and wouldnt mind giving the investor(s) percents of btc mined for a period even after the loan is payed off.

If you are looking to make quick ROI from your loans this is not for you however if you dont mind dropping $1000 and then making alot more in the long run this is deffinatly your kind of loan.

Thank you for your time. Pm me for offers or questions and ill post updates

Exoskeleton

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:24:52 PM

It will be very expensive. The savings from solar take 5-20 years on average to pay for themselves. Otherwise everybody would have a solar powered house today. Its a real investment in your future power costs.

If you can't do electrical yourself the cost of hiring someone to do it for you will be insane. Think $100 per hour. It can take a day or two to fully wire up. And if something ever goes wrong what do you do? You have to pay thousands for new batterys every 10-20 years so it not ever going to be "free" power.

If you were using only ASICs you might be able to keep you setup well under 1Kw. This would still cost a few thousand of dollars even done diy. Not that it wouldn't be a good thing to do in the long run if you can use the power for your house for the next 20 years after mining profits crash sometime soon.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 08:28:05 PM

It will be very expensive. The savings from solar take 5-20 years on average to pay for themselves. Otherwise everybody would have a solar powered house today. Its a real investment in your future power costs.

If you can't do electrical yourself the cost of hiring someone to do it for you will be insane. Think $100 per hour. It can take a day or two to fully wire up. And if something ever goes wrong what do you do? You have to pay thousands for new batterys every 10-20 years so it not ever going to be "free" power.

If you were using only ASICs you might be able to keep you setup well under 1Kw. This would still cost a few thousand of dollars even done diy. Not that it wouldn't be a good thing to do in the long run if you can use the power for your house for the next 20 years after mining profits crash sometime soon.

This is true if you are living in the solar powered building. (You could buy a small solar panel and use it to power just the computer, Or...)

BUT, if you rented a building where every 3-5 square feet was a machine, and no lights were on, only a few cameras (and programs to watch the network) so an IT guy could watch from home and come in to fix any problems.

At that point, you buy a solar panel that can power a house for $10,000 and it's paid off in a month.

Twerka

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:40:54 PM

The equipment is very expensive, you need the panel, the inverter, the converter... and it gives only a few watts, maybe you can run only 1 computer with each equipment.

And pray for sun.

The worst enemy of Bitcoin is Mt.Gox exchange.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 08:42:21 PM

The equipment is very expensive, you need the panel, the inverter, the converter... and it gives only a few watts, maybe you can run only 1 computer with each equipment.

And pray for sun.

There are people that grow weed with solar power and that takes 400-1000w, so I'm pretty sure you can affordably (for someone who has enough money to buy computer equipment) run a computer on solar power.

matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 08:49:01 PM

Why is a inverter needed all computer chips are DC and so are solar panels. Yeah you might need a DC to DC converter but inverting to AC from DC to go back to DC is a wasting energy  Huh

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1140

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:50:27 PM

And pray for sun.

There are people that grow weed with solar power and that takes 400-1000w, so I'm pretty sure you can affordably (for someone who has enough money to buy computer equipment) run a computer on solar power.
there is a simple reason why everybody buys from the power company: IT'S CHEAPER. even with solar subsidies, solar pannels have a ROI of over 15 years, so how do you think it's competitive with just buying from the grid? the only plausible reason why grow ops use solar power is to prevent their power usage from being monitored (large consumption = grow op)

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 08:54:49 PM

And pray for sun.

there is a simple reason why everybody buys from the power company: IT'S CHEAPER. even with solar subsidies, solar pannels have a ROI of over 15 years, so how do you think it's competitive with just buying from the grid? the only plausible reason why grow ops use solar power is to prevent their power usage from being monitored (large consumption = grow op)

I'm thinking a shipping container with a clear plastic roof and carbon filter would be much more efficient than solar panels and a large array of BIG batteries.  I've never read about grows using solar panels tho have read of them using fish tanks to get their hydroponic food to save buying it and being monitored.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 08:59:11 PM

And pray for sun.

I think renting a building and running a network of computers would pay it back quick.

bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 09:07:52 PM

And pray for sun.

If there is an ROI, then by definition it would not be cheaper to buy electricity. It's less money upfront and no hassle, that's why people use grid power.

As for solar mining, solar is a long term investment, mining is a short term gamble, the two are not terribly compatible.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 09:09:02 PM

And pray for sun.

If there is an ROI, then by definition it would not be cheaper to buy electricity. It's less money upfront and no hassle, that's why people use grid power.

Less money upfront does not in the long run "by definition" mean cheaper.

AmpEater

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 09:17:14 PM

It will be very expensive.

You have to pay thousands for new batterys every 10-20 years so it not ever going to be "free" power.

It really pisses me off to seem the same old crap repeated over and over.  

Solar has nothing to do with batteries.  You don't need them.  

Solar power is cheaper than grid.  Much cheaper, you just have to pay it up front.  Solar panels are cheaper than they have ever been, 1/10th the cost of just a few years ago.

I did some calcs yesterday, a $175 solar panel makes $1200 worth of power over its warrantied lifetime.  That assumes power costs never go up.  Power prices always go up

I can't think of a better long term investment
bcpokey

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 09:21:21 PM

And pray for sun.

Less money upfront does not in the long run "by definition" mean cheaper.

Re-read the comment, you have completely misunderstood.

@Ampeater, yes and no. You do realize that there are very limited hours of the day whereby Solar produces meaningful amounts of electricity, and if you have no way to store the excess, then you are not making effective use of the panels right?

Batteries are not *required* but they make the system much more sensible.
AmpEater

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 09:21:31 PM

This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever read.  
bcpokey

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 09:23:43 PM

This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever read.  

Which only shows that you do not understand it. And since you feel the need to step into spurious attacks, that then would make you the stupidest person, no?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.