Bitcoin Forum
January 23, 2019, 05:03:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.17.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar Powered Mining  (Read 26384 times)
AmpEater

Activity: 238
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 09:26:03 PM
Last edit: April 28, 2013, 09:36:32 PM by AmpEater

Re-read the comment, you have completely misunderstood.

@Ampeater, yes and no. You do realize that there are very limited hours of the day whereby Solar produces meaningful amounts of electricity, and if you have no way to store the excess, then you are not making effective use of the panels right?

Batteries are not *required* but they make the system much more sensible.

No fucking shit, sherlock.

It's called grid tie.  You are thinking about off-grid installs.  Batteries are absolutely not required, and unless you need backup power they are an unnecessary expense.

I have solar panels, I mine with solar energy, and I have built numerous solar powered things.  I have a solar powered surveillance robot that I can log into from any computer and drive around my yard.  It has been operating 24/7 for years. Never plugged in once.  I have a solar powered mesh network that covers my 100+ acres.  It is still up when the grid is down.

Only chumps pay for grid power.  Chump

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AmpEater

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 09:29:18 PM

Which only shows that you do not understand it. And since you feel the need to step into spurious attacks, that then would make you the stupidest person, no?

A $175 solar panel makes $1200 worth of power over its warrantied lifetime.  Tell me that is somehow more expensive than paying for electricity everyday at market rates.  Now project market rates out 10, 20, 30 years from now.  Once youve recovered you initial costs, the rest is free.  This used to take 20+ years.  Now it takes 5.

Tell me my 25 years of free electricity make me the sucker.
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 09:54:47 PM

Which only shows that you do not understand it. And since you feel the need to step into spurious attacks, that then would make you the stupidest person, no?

A $175 solar panel makes $1200 worth of power over its warrantied lifetime.  Tell me that is somehow more expensive than paying for electricity everyday at market rates.  Now project market rates out 10, 20, 30 years from now.  Once youve recovered you initial costs, the rest is free.  This used to take 20+ years.  Now it takes 5.

Tell me my 25 years of free electricity make me the sucker.

I only respond to you because you seem to have some anger issues, and I would suggest therapy, in all seriousness. You do nothing for the solar movement, except make it look like it is fuelled by the delusional rants of angry woodsman.

That said, I will let out a little of my own vehemence due to your unwarranted attacks. The reason I call you a stupid imbecilic moron, tied to some sort of caveman disorder of attack-first-ask-questions-later, is that despite the fact that one post above yours I had just said that the interpretation of my statement was the wrong one, you jumped upon it further. This makes you an idiot.

If you had instead made a point, or asked for clarification, you might have realized or been told that saying "buying electricity is not cheaper" means that I am saying solar panels are cheaper in the long run. Not a very difficult concept, unless you somehow think the words solar panel and electricity are synonyms.
Exoskeleton

Activity: 347

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 10:17:32 PM

It will be very expensive.

You have to pay thousands for new batterys every 10-20 years so it not ever going to be "free" power.

It really pisses me off to seem the same old crap repeated over and over.  

Solar has nothing to do with batteries.  You don't need them.  

Solar power is cheaper than grid.  Much cheaper, you just have to pay it up front.  Solar panels are cheaper than they have ever been, 1/10th the cost of just a few years ago.

I did some calcs yesterday, a $175 solar panel makes $1200 worth of power over its warrantied lifetime.  That assumes power costs never go up.  Power prices always go up

I can't think of a better long term investment

You must not know much about solar. You may not need them in space but on earth we have a thing called "night". During this thing we call the "night" there is no light from the sun. No light from the sun = no power.

So your power will go out at night if you don't have big huge expensive batterys to store power. The moon won't power anything. This is not crap it is science.
AmpEater

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 10:25:55 PM

You must not know much about solar. You may not need them in space but on earth we have a thing called "night". During this thing we call the "night" there is no light from the sun. No light from the sun = no power.

So your power will go out at night if you don't have big huge expensive batterys to store power. The moon won't power anything. This is not crap it is science.

LOL.  Grid tie man.  Nobody does a purely off grid install unless they have to.

No batteries required.

It gets tiring hearing the same falsehoods time after time.  

I'd do the ROI math for people, but they'd rather tell me the sun doesn't shine at night.

Not a very difficult concept, unless you somehow think the words solar panel and electricity are synonyms.
You seem to think solar power and stored energy in batteries are the same thing.  You don't need batteries in any shape or form to make use of power from the sun.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1140

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 10:33:40 PM

AmpEater, I'm really interested how your solar setup is cheaper than grid. How much do you pay for grid power, and how cheap are you pannels?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Exoskeleton

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 10:36:04 PM

LOL.  Grid tie man.  Nobody does a purely off grid install unless they have to.

No batteries required.

If you want to go 50% solar and can do the wiring and repairs yourself I agree that he could go without batterys for a lot less money upfront. He will still be on the grid half of every day.

Solar would be the way to go if you can afford to invest your money in future savings. Remember that the batterys you use to be off-grid at night pay for themselves over time too. Im not against batterys.

Im not against solar energy at all. I just said its not "free" and all the costs are upfront. I said its a smart move in the long run.

He should be warned that its not cheap and a bad/unskilled diy job will kill you. Dead. There is a reason why every house in the US is not solar powered and its not a conspiracy its economics.
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 11:16:39 PM

Thanks for the info amp eater Smiley

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
Exoskeleton

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 11:34:58 PM

To the OP:

Can you do high voltage electrical? Do you own the required tools to get the job done yourself?

Most importantly, do you feel safe working on voltages that can kill you if you make a single mistake?

If the answer to the above is no then your going to pay someone hundreds if not thousands to hook you up to the grid or batterys. Like most skilled work the laobr alone could easly run more than the cost of your parts.

I think amost everyone on this forum would like to have a solar powered mining farm and many could do the electrical in a weekend. Yet none here seem to have one set up yet.

Its not cheap and we see better places to put that money in the near future that have a much higher ROI. Its not personal its business. I love solar.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 11:36:17 PM

To the OP:

Can you do high voltage electrical? Do you own the required tools to get the job done yourself?

Most importantly, do you feel safe working on voltages that can kill you if you make a single mistake?

Yes, I will own the tools and I can do whatever I want.

Yes I feel safe working with voltages that can kill me.

Exoskeleton

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 12:02:08 AM

Then I would say go for it if you can afford it. Look into tax credits and rebates. Depending on where you live you stand to get a good % of your costs back at the end of the year.

With solar you are paying for your next 10-20 years of power all at once today in exchange for a 50%-90% discount. Its a good investment but possibly not the most lucrative.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 12:05:03 AM

Then I would say go for it if you can afford it. Look into tax credits and rebates. Depending on where you live you stand to get a good % of your costs back at the end of the year.

With solar you are paying for your next 10-20 years of power all at once today in exchange for a 50%-90% discount. Its a good investment but possibly not the most lucrative.

There is also the option of not buying panels by making your own panels.

You can make panels with stuff from WalMart, and buy small panels.
THE ONLY REASON TO BUY ONE THAT WOULD POWER A BUILDING IS IF THAT BUILDING IS FULL OF MINING SERVERS.

Also, something I would like people to look at:
WIND POWER MINING

You can make a (very weak) fan for like $1000. Maybe you could power 1 computer.

psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

Crypto Addicto

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 12:15:06 AM

No batteries required.

If you want to go 50% solar and can do the wiring and repairs yourself I agree that he could go without batterys for a lot less money upfront. He will still be on the grid half of every day.

Solar would be the way to go if you can afford to invest your money in future savings. Remember that the batterys you use to be off-grid at night pay for themselves over time too. Im not against batterys.

Im not against solar energy at all. I just said its not "free" and all the costs are upfront. I said its a smart move in the long run.

He should be warned that its not cheap and a bad/unskilled diy job will kill you. Dead. There is a reason why every house in the US is not solar powered and its not a conspiracy its economics.

It's not because of economics it's simply because most people are retarded like you.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 12:17:23 AM

It's not because of economics it's simply because most people are retarded like you.

lol.

I think the reason Solar Power is so expensive, is simply because no one buys it yet, so they have to make it expensive or they would lose money.

psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

Crypto Addicto

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 12:22:20 AM

lol.

I think the reason Solar Power is so expensive, is simply because no one buys it yet, so they have to make it expensive or they would lose money.

Ha ha just being a bit cheeky - but seriously solar panels are undergoing their own kind of Moore's Law (like computer chips they are getting more efficient and cheaper every year) and it definitely isn't expensive if you can resell your excess back into the grid during the day, and draw from the grid at night if you need to. The main problem is in a few years there will be solar panels that are even more efficient and cheaper - after you have paid for your now old technology!

I've actually thought solar powered BTC mining is the future for sure Smiley

Exoskeleton

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 12:25:06 AM

No batteries required.

So how much did your solar set up cost and how much are you saving by using it?

Im not against solar power but I am done with this hostility for simply pointing out the fact that it has high upfront costs.  Roll Eyes

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 12:42:55 AM

I've actually thought solar powered BTC mining is the future for sure Smiley

Completely agreed.
And mining may be how Solar Panels get popular and cheap.

Exoskeleton

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 12:49:42 AM

I totally agree. Once electricty gets too expensive for even ASICs to be profitable solar will be the next must have tech to keep from loosing money. It just seems we are not quite there yet.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 12:52:46 AM

I totally agree. Once electricty gets too expensive for even ASICs to be profitable solar will be the next must have tech to keep from loosing money. It just seems we are not quite there yet.

Maybe start with wind power. I know for a fact there are regular ass people doing that to lower their power bill, and I've seen it for $1000.

And I've read about stoners making solar grows, and I'm sure it didn't cost more than $5000. But I guess stoners may be a little farther a long than computer developers, stock investors, web designers and the other people invested in coins. (lol, really?)

mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:55:17 AM

You'll spend more money on the equipment that you will ever make mining.

If you have a wind or solar setup you can sell the power back to the grid for money.

I don't see how solar/wind power relates to bitcoins at all.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bitcointalk.org is not available or authorized for sale. Do not believe any fake listings.
Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.