Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:53:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner: Is investing in Altcoins a good choice at the moment?  (Read 1817 times)
BBel (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 04:03:26 PM

Hello Bit and Altcoiners,

I'm pretty new in the Cryptocurrency world and created my first Kraken Account 2 Weeks ago, funded it with 300 EUR and have now BTC/ETH/XRP/XMR worth over 500 EUR.
I'm very excited now because I'm really fascinated about the different coins, about their developers and their ideas. I feel that this world is what I really want to invest my time and money in, I see a lot of potential.

Now I have 2500EUR but I'm not sure if there is just a big altcoin bubble happening at the moment, and I'm really afraid buying in at a high and lose my money. Of course I can pay my bills, but I really would like to get money out of it in some time.

My plan is to invest now (or maybe later? -> bubbling?) and cash out to EUR in 1 year (at the earliest) to avoid taxes (living in austria, after 1 year its taxfree).

So far I like BTC / ETH / LTC / XRP / XEM / XMR / PIVX.

Also what I don't know is: When I withdraw 2500 EUR to BTC/ALTCOINS and cash-out to EUR after at least 1+ year - do I need to pay taxes when I trade between different altcoins in that time or is it still taxfree?

What coins would you invest, how would you spread your money in the portfolio? ...better wait to invest because of the -maybe- "bubble" ?

I really appreciate every tip and help.

THANKS,
BBel
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ttookk

Activity: 994
Merit: 513

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 04:18:04 PM

My gut feeling is that investing in Alts is dangerous at the moment. And it looks like you have the same feeling, otherwise you wouldn't ask, right?

To be more specific: I think we still have a few days, maybe weeks of fun ahead of us. And single projects may still be a good investment. But overall, I'd wait.
BBel (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 04:29:46 PM

thank you. so u think that it's better to get rid off my altcoins too? :O ...don't want to pay the huge taxes on it, how to prevent that!?
penoze
Legendary

Activity: 1235
Merit: 1003

https://minepi.com/cryptomeneer

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 05:44:04 PM

Its always difficult to say which coin is the best to invest  and hold for 1 year+.

Think when you want to hold for 1 year, the best thing to do is researching the fundamentals of a coin/token/asset.
There are some great projects ongoing with potential real world adoption.

Think it's further up to you to search for the coins what yoi think it fits in you're portfolio.

Can give suggestions but there are many different coins with different purposes.

On coinmarketcap is a list of almost all the coins in circulation. Think it's worth to check the list and pick some coins for researching if it worth to invest in.

About the taxes is hard to say.
In Holland we have to pay capital tax if we have more than €25K.
Dunno how that works in youre country. Think google can help you with that.

Zggdrasil

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 10:00:36 PM

Also Coinmarket cap have Archive, you can check old history to see what coins was there 1,2,3 years ago
http://coinmarketcap.com/historical/
ChinkyEyes

Activity: 687
Merit: 301

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 10:09:03 PM

You like the right coins, and I think it's a good time to invest in alt coins. I would if I had 2.5k extra. But at the end of the day it's your decision.

jawatulen

Activity: 398

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 11:09:21 PM

invest with altcoin that have solid community and active dev,,
and you will good portofolio for your investment
FOMOFish

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 11:42:39 PM

You think alt coins are in a bubble and not bitcoin which has gone from 1000 to 1600 in a matter of months? lol
Ikaros

Activity: 40

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 03:14:39 AM

Do not sell your altcoins now. It seems like here little bubble going on but no one know if it will go puff and even after it prices might be higher than today. I would advice you to buy coins every month with stable FIAT amount (maybe more if price go down a lot).
Restmand

Activity: 979
Merit: 258

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 09:00:06 AM

Hello Bit and Altcoiners,

I'm pretty new in the Cryptocurrency world and created my first Kraken Account 2 Weeks ago, funded it with 300 EUR and have now BTC/ETH/XRP/XMR worth over 500 EUR.
I'm very excited now because I'm really fascinated about the different coins, about their developers and their ideas. I feel that this world is what I really want to invest my time and money in, I see a lot of potential.

Now I have 2500EUR but I'm not sure if there is just a big altcoin bubble happening at the moment, and I'm really afraid buying in at a high and lose my money. Of course I can pay my bills, but I really would like to get money out of it in some time.

My plan is to invest now (or maybe later? -> bubbling?) and cash out to EUR in 1 year (at the earliest) to avoid taxes (living in austria, after 1 year its taxfree).

So far I like BTC / ETH / LTC / XRP / XEM / XMR / PIVX.

Also what I don't know is: When I withdraw 2500 EUR to BTC/ALTCOINS and cash-out to EUR after at least 1+ year - do I need to pay taxes when I trade between different altcoins in that time or is it still taxfree?

What coins would you invest, how would you spread your money in the portfolio? ...better wait to invest because of the -maybe- "bubble" ?

I really appreciate every tip and help.

THANKS,
BBel
yes it is good if you know how to trade with this coin but if not,try to explore it first read some articles and research first, there's a big amount of money in trading, others put their whole investment here, you have to put risk in trading because we cannot know or we cannot predict what coin will be stay and be lose, we should take a risk in trading.
anwgust

Activity: 40

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 09:10:05 AM

My choice: BTC, ETH, GNT, XRP. STRAT.
I also have GAME but it's not for the long term, I put half of them in the MobileGo ICO soon, quarter of it I change for GNT/XRP/BTC and quarter of it I'm holding to see how the GameCredits Store is going to elaborate.
It's just half of my funds are in the GAME and I find it not very wise diversification for my portfolio.
If I had more money I'd definitely consider to hold XMR also but unfortunately that's not the possibility at the moment.

I'm not going to descend into the details of each coin but I really advise to read about them which I mentioned but you haven't consider yet.
BBel (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 09:42:40 AM

thank you everyone. I just transfered 0.5 BTC to Poloniex and ordered:

8000 STR
3000 XRP
3000 XEM
3000 NXT
10 FCT

On Kraken I have

500 XRP
5 ETH
2 XMR
& 1000 EUR

Bought in with 2150 EUR...do you think there is something to optimize, or do you see any wrong decision?

I'm not going to descend into the details of each coin but I really advise to read about them which I mentioned but you haven't consider yet.

Thanks for your advice. Of course I read about the different coins' technology, announcements, comments etc. - so I will stay informed. But it's hard to say for me, as a newcomer if it is a good point to invest now for 1+ year. Also the main problem is that I don't know if it matters (depending taxes) if I trade within altcoins or if it only matters when I transfer fiat <> bit/altcoins. If it's no problem trading within cryptocurrencies witchout breaking the '1 year' rule, then I would of course trade between the coins over the year. Otherwise I would hold the coins and do nothing.

masele8

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 09:59:34 AM

I think you have decent coins.
But I would consider NLG as well. Huge potential and big community and active dev's.
Price is very low at this point and with a new project coming up within the next 2 months it might be worth a shot!

Good luck.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 07:32:26 PM

I think it's a great time to sell. I would not be buying but this market has gone so weird who knows where it's headed?

if it feels too easy then a fall can't be far away.
jason943

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 03:52:59 PM

I think it's a great time to sell. I would not be buying but this market has gone so weird who knows where it's headed?

if it feels too easy then a fall can't be far away.

“European Central Bank”, are you serious?

European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 04:40:59 PM

yes. when everything has gone up 5 to 10 times and everyone is convinced all they have to do is throw money in and wait, that's when you know it's about to peak and the people who engineered the rise pull the rug.
Zegra

Activity: 112

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 10:39:50 PM

Buy established altcoins which have future potential and you'll be fine. There may be a crash coming, but you only lose money if you sell during the crash, if the point of selling is below the point you bought it. You may be a holder who can do nothing for a few weeks until we're up again, but it will recover. And with established projects I mean stuff like Monero and not some random coin from Poloniex which has been made for the sole purpose of pump & dump. Those will crash the hardest and might never recover.
HeadDe

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 11:59:22 PM

I started investing in Alts with a small sum not long ago.
Now i'm kinda sure that it is profitable Wink
ttookk

Activity: 994
Merit: 513

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 12:57:23 AM

I started investing in Alts with a small sum not long ago.
Now i'm kinda sure that it is profitable Wink

The Tulip mania was profitable, too – until the bubble popped. Be careful. The trick is not to make profit in a rising market, the trick is to get out before the tide turns and realize these profits.
mrsray

Activity: 277

I ❤ Mastern✿des

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2017, 12:14:38 AM

yes. when everything has gone up 5 to 10 times and everyone is convinced all they have to do is throw money in and wait, that's when you know it's about to peak and the people who engineered the rise pull the rug.

I would say you were spot on ... nice speculation   Wink

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

●●    ●●
 ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: