Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:02:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should the wallet.dat be encrypted by default? That would make it harder for intruders, because they couldn' just copy the wallet.dat.
Yes, encrypt by default - 43 (66.2%)
Not by default, but it should have this option. - 21 (32.3%)
No, don't encrypt - 1 (1.5%)
Total Voters: 65

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Default encryption for wallet.dat  (Read 4982 times)
dukejer

Activity: 42
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:10:02 PM

Well, I was thinking of mechanism that uses the so-called "Trusted Computing Module" in your motherboard, or uses a secure key generated by your CPU's unique private key.

I think this could be a problem if something goes wrong with the CPU or motherboard the wallet might not be able to be unencrypted.

-Dukejer
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2011, 04:06:43 PM
Last edit: July 01, 2011, 03:32:17 PM by phillipsjk

I have had a slight change of heart on this topic:

A miner does not need a decrypted wallet.dat because it is possible to make a wallet-less miner

Quote from: phillipsjk
A miner just needs to know an address to send the coins to as well as a source of entropy (such as intermittent network connections). The miner then generates a throw-away private key/address pair. Upon coin creation, the coins are spent in the same transaction block to the destination address. As has been noted in other threads, the destination wallet does not even have to be on an Internet-connected computer.
Edit: To avoid refunded coins (and a non-empty virtual wallet), Transaction fees should be payed out of fees paid to the miner in the transaction block; likely (approximating) a user-configurable percentage. Errata: miner processing the transaction can decide which transactions are included or not: no fees necessary.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: