Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:46:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Baikal Quad Cube Review  (Read 1819 times)
LachlanS (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 11:36:54 AM
Last edit: May 08, 2017, 12:06:38 PM by LachlanS

I managed to get a Baikal Quad Cube on April the 26th. Just managed to ask baikal on skype at the right time they came online, luckily enough I live in the same timezone as Shenzen which helped.
They quoted $3200USD via bank transfer, or 3.09btc (about $3900 for that days rates). The difference was quoted due to the lower price on bitcoin in China.
I sucked it up and paid in bitcoin as I'm not especially familiar with or trusting of Swift payments and banking transperancy.
They told me it would be shipped on May the 12th, but it was actually shipped on Friday the 5th and arrived today, Monday the 8th. I live in Perth, Australia.

This is my first ASIC, though I do some nicehash mining with nvidia GPUs.

The PSU i chose is a Silverstone 650watt, with 80Plus Gold rating. First thing I did was replace the baikal fans with some glowy Corsair ones, just for a little pizazz as I was pretty excited waiting for this. The fans are powered by the PSU, rather than the PWM pins on the Baikal boards. Be aware these are not standard 4-port fan pins.
The ethernet cable is actually running into an AC powerline adaptor, as my router is in the middle of the kitchen downstairs. Connection seems fine at the moment.

I've set up three pools, two nicehash (x11/quark) and a quark Mue mining pool. I'm still evaluating whether I want to mine bitcoin via nicehash, or mine Dash/Mue directly. At the moment I'm trying to hedge against a potential x11 difficulty bomb that might hit when those ibelink monstrosities finally hit in August.
Hash rate on the box says 1230MHs, nicehash is reported about 1135mhs with 15mhs rejected.
Will do some further playing, and happy to try and answer any questions people interested in them might have.

http://pasteboard.co/3Mx5J2n3d.jpg

http://pasteboard.co/3MvZNVf0n.png
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptotore

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 11:41:50 AM

Is it possible to auto-switch algo when mining at nicehash?
Or do you need to manually change to the most profitable algo?
LachlanS (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 11:44:30 AM

I wasn't sure until about 30 seconds ago when I just noticed it shut down nicehash x11 and went to nicehash quark.. so looks like yes. I have enable-nicehash = true in the miner config page
bigassboy

Activity: 373
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 11:59:23 AM

Could you send me the link where you purchased the fans? It kinda look funky, LOL!!

Congratulations on being the earlier ones to get the Quad-Cube.
LachlanS (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 12:05:41 PM

Could you send me the link where you purchased the fans? It kinda look funky, LOL!!

Thanks, these are the fans used
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/28510

and this is the PSU
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/21572

Australian site but they should be pretty easy to get internationally. I have a watt meter and I'll get back to everyone with power at the wall soon.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 12:26:50 PM

What was the advantage, speed or otherwise in changing the fans, if I may ask?

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
LachlanS (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 12:33:47 PM

What was the advantage, speed or otherwise in changing the fans, if I may ask?

Not really necessary for noise as I found the 50% setting on the baikal makes the stock fans pretty quiet.
Mostly more for longevity (2 year warranty) and cause it looks balling.
Temps are very low as well, low 30's after an hour or two of hashing.
LachlanS (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 12:48:02 PM

Measure 259 watts at the wall, while it was doing quark hashing.
baikal

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

www.baikalminer.com

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 02:05:38 PM

Hi,

Thanks for this review;), and glad you like it.

We predicted the shipment will be today, for some luck and our staff's hard work,  we have been starting shipment since last Wednesday.

Hope the others will get your toys soon!

All GOOD TO YOURS.

Baikal

Our cutting-edge technology creates a brighter future for you!
cryptotore

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 02:56:35 PM

I just got my quad up and running as well, plug and play! Cheesy
LachlanS (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 12:48:35 AM

Yeah setup was relatively easy.
I've been mining Mue to Bittrex on Weminemue, and X11 on nice hash. FYI speeds on Nice hash now report as 1274MHs, 22MHs rejected. So I can say speed is at least as advertised if not more.
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2017, 01:15:28 AM

I managed to get a Baikal Quad Cube on April the 26th. Just managed to ask baikal on skype at the right time they came online, luckily enough I live in the same timezone as Shenzen which helped.
They quoted $3200USD via bank transfer, or 3.09btc (about $3900 for that days rates). The difference was quoted due to the lower price on bitcoin in China.
I sucked it up and paid in bitcoin as I'm not especially familiar with or trusting of Swift payments and banking transperancy.
They told me it would be shipped on May the 12th, but it was actually shipped on Friday the 5th and arrived today, Monday the 8th. I live in Perth, Australia.

The PSU i chose is a Silverstone 650watt, with 80Plus Gold rating. First thing I did was replace the baikal fans with some glowy Corsair ones, just for a little pizazz as I was pretty excited waiting for this. The fans are powered by the PSU, rather than the PWM pins on the Baikal boards. Be aware these are not standard 4-port fan pins.
The ethernet cable is actually running into an AC powerline adaptor, as my router is in the middle of the kitchen downstairs. Connection seems fine at the moment.

I've set up three pools, two nicehash (x11/quark) and a quark Mue mining pool. I'm still evaluating whether I want to mine bitcoin via nicehash, or mine Dash/Mue directly. At the moment I'm trying to hedge against a potential x11 difficulty bomb that might hit when those ibelink monstrosities finally hit in August.
Hash rate on the box says 1230MHs, nicehash is reported about 1135mhs with 15mhs rejected.
Will do some further playing, and happy to try and answer any questions people interested in them might have.

Nice! Interested to see what you find the best dash pool to be, as I'm currently searching myself xD

I put up an initial review and unboxing of my baikalminer cube today if you're interested -- currently getting a bad return on prohashing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47a4CDeFjqQ

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
LachlanS (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:20:33 AM

Suprnova isn't going too well for me. Some success but then it bombed out. If you find a good dash pool as well please let me know.
X11 hashing is otherwise going well on nicehash
crossabdd
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1145

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:20:57 AM

Nice! Interested to see what you find the best dash pool to be, as I'm currently searching myself xD

I put up an initial review and unboxing of my baikalminer cube today if you're interested -- currently getting a bad return on prohashing

nice review make me interesting to buy it. anyway can i use windows 10 or maybe we need other operating system to run this baikla cube mining ?
VoskCoin

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2017, 01:32:08 AM

Suprnova isn't going too well for me. Some success but then it bombed out. If you find a good dash pool as well please let me know.
X11 hashing is otherwise going well on nicehash

That's not good to hear as I was going to try supernova next O_o perhaps coinmine then?

VoskCoin

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2017, 01:36:32 AM

nice review make me interesting to buy it. anyway can i use windows 10 or maybe we need other operating system to run this baikla cube mining ?
you can use that operating system and virtual login through IP

mpenagar

Activity: 25

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 04:44:27 PM

I wasn't sure until about 30 seconds ago when I just noticed it shut down nicehash x11 and went to nicehash quark.. so looks like yes. I have enable-nicehash = true in the miner config page

I am having high reject (stale) ratio on nicehash. Where is such an enable-nicehash option on the admin webpage?

Thanks!
mpenagar

Activity: 25

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 09:05:22 PM

I am having high reject (stale) ratio on nicehash. Where is such an enable-nicehash option on the admin webpage?

Thanks!

Ok, found!

https://www.nicehash.com/?p=news&id=114

will check it.
derbx

Activity: 22

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 11:51:02 AM

Hi @LachlanS

Be aware these are not standard 4-port fan pins.

Im a noob on this, what kind of fans would I need. Is there any input spec I require? did you change the plugs yourself? or could I just get regular usb fans and plug them to the usb output?

I was thinking about getting some noctua fans for it.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: