Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:29:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 ... 181 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Klondike - 16 chip ASIC Open Source Board - Preliminary  (Read 435330 times)
terrahash

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:49:02 AM

BkkCoins,

We have received Avalon sample chips. We did get about 10 K16 boards manufactured locally as well. We want to assemble one board to help with development and testing. We have resources here that can help push the project forward.

Can you upload the silk screen for the components (those nice little labels that indicate which component is to be placed where on the board)? And if possible XY data that can be fed to an SMT machine?
Wow. This is news to me. And frankly it terrifies me that so much has been invested in my design when I haven't even been able to verify it.  However, I'm not going to stand in the way despite the feeling that control is being wrestled away.

I'm ready to release everything I have along with a proper open source license but first I would need two things - 1. A public commitment that any info derived from testing/debugging  will be submitted back quickly so that everyone has access in a timely fashion. 2. A disclosure regarding any independent firmware and driver development and whether you plan to use proprietary code to enter the market first.

The lack of past communication makes me concerned that your main goal is to gaining competitive advantage, and that my materials will be used towards shutting everyone else committed to assembling units, and who have been communicating with me daily, out of the market.

I assure you, we are doing the business on minimum margins, and will actually be providing a great alternative to DIY assemblers. Putting those chips on the boards manually is next to impossible, and getting it done from an SMT facility is very expensive if done in small quantity. Our purpose is to not wrestle the control out of your hands at all.

1. We are publicly committing here that any information we get from the testing/debugging the circuit, we will submit it back here on this forum, and to BkkCoins so that he could update his designs. Any changes we make to the circuit will also be submitted back.

2. We won't be using any proprietary code. We will be licensing the code from you. If we do make any changes, we will release them to public. We are committed to pay a royalty fee for every board we sell to you.

We actually have the resources to design our own circuit, but we wanted to help the open source initiative by expanding it further. I have offered my help for the firmware in the past as well, but wasn't replied to.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
terrahash

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:50:40 AM

Are you going to release your PC-PIC protocol? I'd like to use the same protocol in my project to reduce the amount of work needed on the miner side.
It's already up on github in the Technical Reference PDF. I still need to add some data format details.

I have just the beginnings of a cgminer driver but my work there stalled after I got more focussed on the hardware. I have some plans in that area but have been unable to get back to them.

Again, we can help with the firmware/cgminer driver side of the code, and you can focus on the hardware.
BkkCoins (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 03:05:06 AM

BkkCoins,

We have received Avalon sample chips. We did get about 10 K16 boards manufactured locally as well. We want to assemble one board to help with development and testing. We have resources here that can help push the project forward.

Can you upload the silk screen for the components (those nice little labels that indicate which component is to be placed where on the board)? And if possible XY data that can be fed to an SMT machine?
Wow. This is news to me. And frankly it terrifies me that so much has been invested in my design when I haven't even been able to verify it.  However, I'm not going to stand in the way despite the feeling that control is being wrestled away.

I'm ready to release everything I have along with a proper open source license but first I would need two things - 1. A public commitment that any info derived from testing/debugging  will be submitted back quickly so that everyone has access in a timely fashion. 2. A disclosure regarding any independent firmware and driver development and whether you plan to use proprietary code to enter the market first.

The lack of past communication makes me concerned that your main goal is to gaining competitive advantage, and that my materials will be used towards shutting everyone else committed to assembling units, and who have been communicating with me daily, out of the market.

I assure you, we are doing the business on minimum margins, and will actually be providing a great alternative to DIY assemblers. Putting those chips on the boards manually is next to impossible, and getting it done from an SMT facility is very expensive if done in small quantity. Our purpose is to not wrestle the control out of your hands at all.

1. We are publicly committing here that any information we get from the testing/debugging the circuit, we will submit it back here on this forum, and to BkkCoins so that he could update his designs. Any changes we make to the circuit will also be submitted back.

2. We won't be using any proprietary code. We will be licensing the code from you. If we do make any changes, we will release them to public. We are committed to pay a royalty fee for every board we sell to you.

We actually have the resources to design our own circuit, but we wanted to help the open source initiative by expanding it further. I have offered my help for the firmware in the past as well, but wasn't replied to.
Ok. Acknowledged. I'll work today on preparing my work for release on github.

I would rather have released a working version as inevitably some people are going to see this and think they can jump on it and start using it, and others are going to be critical of my design choices and I won't be able to say "hey, it works". For the record - this is both untested hardware and  non-debugged software but the advantages of allowing others to feedback and fix my mistakes appears to outweigh that of keeping it back longer until a working version is available.

My main fear is that now I'll spend most of my time supporting user problems instead of coding/testing. So - be aware, I may not respond to issues unless fixes are also provided.

Tornate

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:07:23 AM

This one only has the markings for the Avalon chips, and fan/i2c/icsp header. Doesn't have any other components.
Yes, I am interested in that too.
BkkCoins, can you please upload the silkscreen "used the print those little label (C1, C2, R1, R2 etc) on the board, so that the people assembling the board can know which Capacitor goes where and which Resistor goes where etc."
terrahash

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:30:07 AM

Ok. Acknowledged. I'll work today on preparing my work for release on github.

I would rather have released a working version as inevitably some people are going to see this and think they can jump on it and start using it, and others are going to be critical of my design choices and I won't be able to say "hey, it works". For the record - this is both untested hardware and  non-debugged software but the advantages of allowing others to feedback and fix my mistakes appears to outweigh that of keeping it back longer until a working version is available.

My main fear is that now I'll spend most of my time supporting user problems instead of coding/testing. So - be aware, I may not respond to issues unless fixes are also provided.

Awesome. Thanks.

Just put a big bold red warning on the first page of the project indicating that its a work in progress and use at your own risk, etc.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:56:09 AM

Just put a big bold red warning on the first page of the project indicating that its a work in progress and use at your own risk, etc.
Psh. People don't read those. Wink

Glad to see some serious progress on this front, from both BKK and TerraH.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
daemondazz

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:28:02 AM

We have decided to re-base our Caterpillar project around the Klondike PIC instead of a ATMega328+CPLD: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=204699.msg2470767#msg2470767 It will still be a custom design apart from this.

@BkKCoin's - (just want to check) do you have any issues with this? Do you know when you might make the PIC firmware source available? (I did check github first!)

Computers, Amateur Radio, Electronics, Aviation - 1dazzrAbMqNu6cUwh2dtYckNygG7jKs8S
marto74

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 06:39:52 AM

We have decided to re-base our Caterpillar project around the Klondike PIC instead of a ATMega328+CPLD: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=204699.msg2470767#msg2470767 It will still be a custom design apart from this.

@BkKCoin's - (just want to check) do you have any issues with this? Do you know when you might make the PIC firmware source available? (I did check github first!)
it will be fair if you decide to pay some kind of design fee for the efforts BKK puts in the project

http://technobit.eu
tips : 12DNdacCtUZ99qcP74FwchaCPzeDL9Voff
daemondazz

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:43:49 AM

it will be fair if you decide to pay some kind of design fee for the efforts BKK puts in the project

Definitely, we'll probably do something similar to what other's have suggested, point the first hour or three burn in testing at Bkk.

Computers, Amateur Radio, Electronics, Aviation - 1dazzrAbMqNu6cUwh2dtYckNygG7jKs8S
dan99

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:16:47 AM

BkkCoins,

I agreed watch out for the greedy ones .. who want take everything
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:29:14 AM

Do what you think it right, gut feelings are important. If you think you would rather wait until you have tested, debugged, before releasing specific detail, then I think people will generally stick by your informed choice. Just don't feel pressured to swing one way or the other.

newmars

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:35:24 AM

waiting to see the exciting results soon   Smiley
villex

Activity: 154

Mining hardware assembler and administrator.

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:39:09 AM

BkkCoins,

I agreed watch out for the greedy ones .. who want take everything

+1 I talked with some assemblers and I see them reluctant to help. I can't purchase large order from them with all the contacts because I'm competition, since in my area there's no near PCB or quality electronics available I have to rely on those who do, or trust in some phantom website.
BkkCoins (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 08:19:22 AM
Last edit: June 14, 2013, 08:47:13 AM by BkkCoins

Initial Release 0.1.0  

Just pushed to GitHub.

Please read the RELEASE NOTES as it explains a bit about why the schematic is the way it is.

The README has been updated to try and keep up with the current TODO list and license files have been added, and updated in the source code. I cleaned up the firmware project files a bit so that not as much USB SDK sample junk is left behind. I'll probably be fixing a few things for a while yet.

I think I'm taking a bit of a plunge of faith here in the Bitcoin community. I know it's full of all types, from both ends of the spectrum here - those who will hack and steal everything and those who contribute and support the efforts that made Bitcoin even exist. Everyone in the Klondike thread has been very supportive and I choose to give back what I can - maybe everything will work out and having this out will give everyone the best chance to have working mining boards when ASICs arrive. I'll be continuing my efforts to make that happen.

As I started this project hoping to expand my own mining from GPUs and keep up with changes I couldn't afford to buy into, I'm trusting I wouldn't have been better off keeping it all secret.

NOTE - This is not final code or design at all. I will be writing and re-writing parts, and adapting.  If you're wondering how it's possible for something to work when you can't find it, then it's probably because it hasn't been written yet.

WynX

Activity: 77

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 08:36:28 AM

Awesome work Bkk, I admire your faith Smiley. I'm sure I won't break your faith...and I hope the majority of people share that opinion.
KS

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 08:46:57 AM

Initial Release 0.1.0  

Just pushed to GitHub.

Please read the RELEASE NOTES as it explains a bit about why the schematic is the way it is.

The README has been updated to try and keep up with the current TODO list and license files have been added, and updated in the source code. I cleaned up the firmware project files a bit so that not as much USB SDK sample junk is left behind. I'll probably be fixing a few things for a while yet.

I think I'm taking a bit of a plunge of faith here in the Bitcoin community. I know it's full of all types, from both ends of the spectrum here - those who will hack and steal everything and those who contribute and support the efforts that made Bitcoin even exist. Everyone in the Klondike thread has been very supportive and I choose to give back what I can - maybe everything will work out and having this out will give everyone the best chance to have working mining boards when ASICs arrive. I'll be continuing my efforts to make that happen.

As I started this project hoping to get expand my own mining from GPUs and keep up with changes I couldn't afford to buy into, I'm trusting I wouldn't have been better off keeping it all secret.

NOTE - This is not final code or design at all. I will be writing and re-writing parts, and adapting.  If you're wondering how it's possible for something to work when you can't find it, then it's probably because it hasn't been written yet.

There will always be cheaters, but we've got your back.
marto74

Activity: 728

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 08:47:36 AM

Thank you for the trust.
I'm not going to let you down

http://technobit.eu
tips : 12DNdacCtUZ99qcP74FwchaCPzeDL9Voff
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 09:14:19 AM

Rarely can I comment without feeling like I am spamming this thread
That said I believe that while there are people who would take it for profit
There are just as many that will build on it and I trust in your judgement and everyone who is contributing to it
To a growing community
To all the people working here on this project
Thank You

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
evilscoop

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:05:09 AM

thx bkk...

I also needed the XY data, but felt it was too early to ask for it...
I wont be going to assembly until you have a working board anyway Cheesy
Or at least till after you have tried it with the sample chips Cheesy

As stated before, I will be pushing a % of profit to bkk from my assembly's
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 04:30:25 PM

Initial Release 0.1.0  

Just pushed to GitHub.

As I started this project hoping to expand my own mining from GPUs and keep up with changes I couldn't afford to buy into, I'm trusting I wouldn't have been better off keeping it all secret.

Frigging Canadians... too nice. Thanks. Grin

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Pages: « 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 ... 181 »
  Print  

Jump to: