Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:45:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How many bitcoin miners can i have?  (Read 1758 times)
UnknownBTC (OP)

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 11:29:48 PM

So yeah as the title says im about to start a "large" mining operation in South Florida and as im looking for a warehouse to put my miners i'm trying to figure based on the electrical set up of the place how many miners can i run i know that i need and electrician if i want proffesional help but i would like to have an idea before telling the guy to come as i have to pay him every time.

Thanks in Advance, i'm talking about S9's 13.5TH just in case

My custom wallet: 1LearBTCNt5HnruJFdPHH1VAYDKtnTbDYR
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2498

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 11:39:46 PM

Sigh. Look at the Bitmain specs maybe?.....
Nice round ball park is 1,500w per-s9. Will need 208-240 volts and with that voltage the amps per-miner =  1500/voltage.
Your turn.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
tbonetony

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

No zuo no die why you try, u zuo u die dont be shy

View Profile
May 10, 2017, 06:47:26 AM

How about ordering just one unit then test it out at your place before going in bulk?

Customizable full-featured crypto trading platform in development. Asking for demo if interested.

I offer private S9 rental for various length: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1708351.0
UnknownBTC (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2017, 04:32:53 PM

How about ordering just one unit then test it out at your place before going in bulk?
I already did that a long time ago now im ready to go in bulk

UnknownBTC (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2017, 04:34:46 PM

Nice round ball park is 1,500w per-s9. Will need 208-240 volts and with that voltage the amps per-miner =  1500/voltage.
Your turn.

Thanks for the info making it clear for everybody else:

1W=1V.A

so

Amp per miner= 1500/240=6.25A ?

tbonetony

Activity: 441

No zuo no die why you try, u zuo u die dont be shy

View Profile
May 10, 2017, 06:42:50 PM

If you have already had it for a while, how come you don't know its consumption figure? By testing I didn't mean to just plug-and-play.

Customizable full-featured crypto trading platform in development. Asking for demo if interested.

I offer private S9 rental for various length: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1708351.0
wmabern

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Visualize whirledps

View Profile
May 10, 2017, 10:52:25 PM
Last edit: May 10, 2017, 11:10:40 PM by wmabern

If you have already had it for a while, how come you don't know its consumption figure? By testing I didn't mean to just plug-and-play.

Certainly don't want to be rude and I'm not intending it so but if you are needing to ask on a forum how many miners you can have in a warehouse of a particular size, perhaps you need to think smaller for the near-term. Not sure what #'s you ran before. You will need to put more details in your post before you can get any useful info back.

My questions would be before I asked any electrician to come out in no particular order....

What is your budget?
What number of miners are you thinking total?
What size (aprox) warehouse are you looking at?
Will you be setting this up/monitoring/servicing this by yourself?
What is your electric cost going to be? Commercial rate or what?
How do you plan to provide cooling/dehumidifying etc.?
Security?

If I had more time to think of important questions I could prob come up with a few dozen more.

When you say, "I already did that a long time ago now im ready to go in bulk", what number of miners were you running? Were you running them at home?
Depending on your answer to the number of miners you ran before, you may want to think of running 10-20 in a space that can be expanded and (accommodate electrical expansion as well), before thinking in terms of 100 or whatever amount you are considering.

There are just too many questions that need to be solidified before thinking of putting out so much money and committing yourself to what could be a money-pit at the outset.

Also, if you want some more detailed info/feedback from here, you will need to provide much more info to get some reasonable/reliable/helpful answers.

I'm not saying any of this out of experience. The most miners I have run at once are seven, four S9's and three S7's. I'm just saying this as an IT guy who knows that anything being planned on a large scale needs to be planned for thoroughly and accounting for any and every possibility or problem. Because, as you probably know, anything that can go wrong, may go wrong all at the same time. LOL
Good luck.

P.S. Again not intending to sound rude, but if you are concerned about having to pay an electrician for just a visit to your potential site, perhaps you may need to reevaluate or down-size your plans.  Smiley

BITMIXER.IO Gone Baby, Gone.. ;-)
Not any good sig campaigns out there that I want!
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2498

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 05:57:17 PM

Your turn.
Thanks for the info making it clear for everybody else:
1W=1V.A
so
Actually your example should be 1W=1V*1A but yes 6.25A @ 240V. @208v the draw is 7.21A -- Always find what the minimum voltage to the area is and use that for sizing the service needed.

As mentioned elsewhere; 'pay for an electrician to look and give you a quote'? Um, find a different electrician/company! One does NOT pay for getting an initial estimate. Even if significant engineering is involved for changing/upgrading service there should still be no charge until you accept their proposal to do the work.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Qartersa

Activity: 868
Merit: 535

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 01:10:29 PM

So yeah as the title says im about to start a "large" mining operation in South Florida and as im looking for a warehouse to put my miners i'm trying to figure based on the electrical set up of the place how many miners can i run i know that i need and electrician if i want proffesional help but i would like to have an idea before telling the guy to come as i have to pay him every time.

Thanks in Advance, i'm talking about S9's 13.5TH just in case

Hi! I think before you embark on the mining business, you have to do some feasibility study. Like for instance, how much money are you willing to shell out as an investment? With this question, you can now gauge the amount of space you can take in, how many miners you can employ, how many computers you can take in, and etc. Best of all, you will know as little as can be your possible operating costs. You need to be able to answer all these questions before you can focus on the electrical set up.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 03:45:54 AM

Actually your example should be 1W=1V*1A but yes 6.25A @ 240V. @208v the draw is 7.21A -- Always find what the minimum voltage to the area is and use that for sizing the service needed.

Then derate the service by at least 20% (or add 25% to the consumption of each miner) for 24/7 usage.

Given South Florida summers,  you want to be CONSERVATIVE on those estimates due to the heat.

I'd be inclined to say "2 S9 = 20 amps on a 220 circuit" in a hot area like you're in.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
kimex

Activity: 481

View Profile
May 26, 2017, 04:47:07 AM

You have now made a good decision to become a bitcoin miner, ... hope you succeed
HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 03:08:48 PM

You may want to consider the price of the electricity. Miners such up a ton of juice, and I imagine in south Florida, especially in the summer, you will need AC to keep the miners cool. Everybody will be using electricity, so summer mining may cost more than other seasons.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 09:34:24 PM

A lot of power companies also kick their rates up for 2-4 months during the summer, DUE to the load A/C puts on their systems.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: