Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:30:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of Traffic/Bandwith  (Read 381 times)
m3mbr44n (OP)

Activity: 520
Merit: 260

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 08:12:22 AM

There are various crypto's that reward staking by keeping your wallet open and there are crypto's like SIA, MaidSafe, Burst that offer reward for storage capacity. However, I am not aware of any crypto-projects that offer the opportunity to get rewarded through staking traffic? I have plenty of bandwith to offer, which is not used most of the time.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fathamburger

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 09:18:30 AM

Pretty good idea. Some countries like HK, Taiwan, Korea,  Singapore users typically are signing up for more bandwidth than they ever use while for others like Australia, bandwidth is a scarce resource.

I can totally see this being a thing
Specterminate

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 12:19:14 PM

everyone is coming up with their own "Proof of Something" it gets kinda boring if you ask me and has lost it's flair after using it so many times
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 12:55:04 PM

I proposed this a many times over the years but it has never been done yet i think.
I envisioned mining etc with NET cards.

FUD first & ask questions later™
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 5973

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:09:52 PM

Sia in some way rewards bandwidth: If you offer storage on a server with a good and stable connection, then you will be able to get higher rewards than nodes that offer storage on low-bandwidth devices like regular private personal computers.

But I fail to get what use cases a "proof of bandwidth" cryptocurrency concept where bandwidth is not tied to a "storage" solution, could have. It could be a simple "consensus mechanism" (to have to "burn" "something scarce"), but such a system then would be responsible for dramatic internet traffic congestion and not very sustainable, I think.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
caravel

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:15:43 PM

I love the idea of proof of bandwidth.
The way I see it, just as regular mining pushed hardware to become faster with ASIC mining.

Perhaps if proof of bandwidth became popular, it may have a beneficial effect on developing faster internet speeds.

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:42:42 PM

There are various crypto's that reward staking by keeping your wallet open and there are crypto's like SIA, MaidSafe, Burst that offer reward for storage capacity. However, I am not aware of any crypto-projects that offer the opportunity to get rewarded through staking traffic? I have plenty of bandwith to offer, which is not used most of the time.

It's this the same concept as we saw in Freenet? Never used it but supposedly everyone stored everyone else's data encrypted, and then it would be impossible to stop the network since every computer would be a node, similar to Bitcoin nodes storing the blockchain, but without proof of work involved.

If Core devs didn't entertain this idea im sure there are big problems with it. I remember Maidsafe never delivered on its promised thus far..
m3mbr44n (OP)

Activity: 520
Merit: 260

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 07:13:34 AM

There is also the idea that you could be rewarded by offering capacity (for demand peaks) and not so much the actual continuous use of your bandwith. I could imagine that there is maybe a use case for additional bandwith capacity in case of peak periods.
dreamer81

Activity: 616
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 08:30:56 AM

Mysterium coin is just that. However once you let someone  use your internet for surfing, you are responsible for all the crap they download through your internet connection.

I'll give it 1 week before the cops are knocking on your door.
hollings

Activity: 30

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 09:12:51 AM

With the rising bandwidth prices in some areas this is definitely an idea that has some merit.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: