Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:32:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Union - First Large Corporation To Be Killed By Bitcoin  (Read 5026 times)
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 01:01:41 AM

And bloody Western Union's currency exchange fee!! Biggest joke ever.

DOWN WITH WU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sniffinpoprocks

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 01:49:51 AM

Wow!! I cant believe this thread...
In the last month, I've 'lost' money I've wired into bitcoin24 trying to buy bitcoins, I've got a wire into MtGox that hasn't been acknowledge in over 2 days yet, but... Just yesterday I logged into my Western Union account online and sent US dollars; from a non-US country, to another, different non-US country and the money was available in minutes to a person who could go almost anywhere and pick it up.

WU has nothing to worry about...especially after asicminer destroys the whole economy anyway.

“Since we decided a few weeks ago to adopt the leaf as legal tender, we have, of course, all become immensely rich.”
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 02:30:40 AM

In the last month, I've 'lost' money I've wired into bitcoin24 trying to buy bitcoins, I've got a wire into MtGox that hasn't been acknowledge in over 2 days yet, but... Just yesterday I logged into my Western Union account online and sent US dollars; from a non-US country, to another, different non-US country and the money was available in minutes to a person who could go almost anywhere and pick it up.

WU has nothing to worry about...especially after asicminer destroys the whole economy anyway.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND WISE!

THE OMNIFICENT!

THE MAGNANIMOUS OVERLORD OF THE POOR AND THE HUNGRY!

The Western Union....

BWAFFAFAFAFAF!
Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 02:49:10 AM

ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND WISE!

THE OMNIFICENT!

THE MAGNANIMOUS OVERLORD OF THE POOR AND THE HUNGRY!

The Western Union....

BWAFFAFAFAFAF!

Grin  Grin  Grin
ex-trader

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 08:02:14 AM

Exactly. BTC has a future, but it's a long way away from any proper usage, but on here there's a lot of people just drinking the BTC cool-aid, happy that the coin that is currently used mainly to speculate, invest and gamble is going to $1000USD etc.

Threads about actual usage for international money transfers are pretty absent.
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 08:18:20 AM

Show us a real example of how a Filipino maid working in UAE can send it home to a family member in BTC and they can then spend the BTC on their rent and food and I'll start to be convinced WU is at risk.

You are correct; however  WU business is not only to or between developing countries. Along with moneygram its also often used to pay for B2B transactions in China, Taiwan etc. Just look at Alibaba. Those kind of transactions could be handled by bitcoin too, as the recipients would generally be sophisticated enough to handle or sell their bitcoins. How much of WU's business that represents, I have no idea, but I doubt its trivial.

Activity: 525

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:32:13 AM

You have something to worry about - lack of long term perspective.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:42:28 PM

You have something to worry about - lack of long term perspective.
Plus, don't believe anything those bicycle repairmen say.  Man cannot build machines that will fly.
Namealreadyexists

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:18:04 AM

Exactly. BTC has a future, but it's a long way away from any proper usage, but on here there's a lot of people just drinking the BTC cool-aid, happy that the coin that is currently used mainly to speculate, invest and gamble is going to $1000USD etc.

Threads about actual usage for international money transfers are pretty absent.

It's just a matter of setting up local exchanges. In fact, the currency wouldn't even leave the country, because often times the flow of remittances is offset by the flow of money from corrupt elites in the opposite direction.

Case in point Uzbekistan. Remittances from Russia make 13% of the country's GDP, but President's daughter has "millions of dollars" in foreign accounts, according to FT March 7, 2013 article.
btc6000

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:36:56 PM

I mean, the first real-world killer app of Bitcoin is for overseas workers to send remittances back to their families without obsolete companies like Western Union stealing a large chunk of it in what amounts to an unfair tax.

Sorry but that ain't gonna happen until we get multiple reliable exchanges in each country.

I regularly transfer reasonably large sums of fiat between two first-world countries, neither of which have credible means of exchange between BTC & fiat. In the meantime, the fees at the leading FOREX brokers work out less than 0.5%, excluding the spread.

We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated, governments in the civilized world—no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and the duress of small groups of dominant men.
Namealreadyexists

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:36:19 PM

It's transferring the small amounts that is comparatively expensive.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: