Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:59:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad news travels fast  (Read 1830 times)
matt.collier (OP)

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:14:14 PM

World's First Virtual Heist? BitCoin User Loses $500,000

http://www.pcworld.com/article/230377/worlds_first_virtual_heist_bitcoin_user_loses_500000.html
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
noedaRDH

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:19:15 PM

Not again.

1NwGKiLcAngD1KiCCivxT6EDJmyXMGqM9q

Ask not what Bitcoin can do for you - ask what you can do for Bitcoin.
klaus
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:23:15 PM

maybe another 15 times...

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
flug

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:24:35 PM

If they combined this story with the Bitcoin crash story, they'd get:

World's First Virtual Heist? BitCoin User Loses $500
oneforall

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:34:58 PM
Merited by 714 (3)

I couldn't stop laughing reading that. I'm thinking more and more that allinvain is a genius with amazing foresight who planned a brilliant attack on all fearmongering factless news reporters. think about what the layman is thinking as they read that story - the only 'proof' that a heist actually occured is an anonymous guy claiming it on a forum and this claimers name is 'allinvain'. yeah, it totally looks like they fell hook line and sinker for a clever joke, they disregarded the whole 'news reports report on facts' thing in the name of an exciting story. If thats the case allinvain, then i salute you  Cheesy i know, i know, if you respond to this then you must, for the sake of the game, insist it was all real, and please do. but like i said, in the event that you are a mastermind with incredible foresight - I salute ye!
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:36:32 PM

I couldn't stop laughing reading that. I'm thinking more and more that allinvain is a genius with amazing foresight who planned a brilliant attack on all fearmongering factless news reporters. think about what the layman is thinking as they read that story - the only 'proof' that a heist actually occured is an anonymous guy claiming it on a forum and this claimers name is 'allinvain'. yeah, it totally looks like they fell hook line and sinker for a clever joke, they disregarded the whole 'news reports report on facts' thing in the name of an exciting story. If thats the case allinvain, then i salute you  Cheesy i know, i know, if you respond to this then you must, for the sake of the game, insist it was all real, and please do. but like i said, in the event that you are a mastermind with incredible foresight - I salute ye!

There's at least a dozen stories about allinvain, some of which use his name in them. I think you are bad at Internets.
Desu

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:38:26 PM

Does it ever end?!
tehcodez

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:40:54 PM

You could look at it like this: 25k btc buys 1 week of moderate press coverage...
oneforall

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:42:20 PM

There's at least a dozen stories about allinvain, some of which use his name in them. I think you are bad at Internets.

Thanks for your input. I have a couple follow up questions for you.

what makes you think i don't know about the other stories about allinvain? do you have any idea where they all originated? reporters reporting on other reports doesn't make what the report any more valid, they all stem from anonymous posts on this forum. is it not undeniable that it would be easy for someone with the foresight/funds to fake such a heist?
oneforall

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:48:06 PM

You could look at it like this: 25k btc buys 1 week of moderate press coverage...

..or merely having 25k btc at your disposal and the willingness to play victim(and send your coins to another wallet) is all it takes for a week of free moderate press coverage. I'm not saying it is the case, but either are possible. look at the practical results of what happened, people more concerned with the security of their coins, possibly a big security update in the client, and more press coverage. I think a lot of people underestimate what clever ideas can stem from such a  solid world changing system, peoples lives have been changed and a lot of people want to help push this forward in any way they can.
Capitan

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:53:39 PM

There have been at least 20 different articles on the web this week about the thievery, and about the new malware that steals wallet.dat. Welcome to 5 days ago.
noedaRDH

Activity: 182

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:56:44 PM

Someone who registered to this site long before the "heist" under the name "All_In_Vain" AND be the one who loses 25k BTCs... is that synchronicity or what?

1NwGKiLcAngD1KiCCivxT6EDJmyXMGqM9q

Ask not what Bitcoin can do for you - ask what you can do for Bitcoin.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:43:04 PM

Someone who registered to this site long before the "heist" under the name "All_In_Vain" AND be the one who loses 25k BTCs... is that synchronicity or what?

No, it's the Illuminati. And freemasons.

They are after your cat. Eyeballs fetch good prices on the satanic rituals black market.

I'd lock my door if I were you.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Swishercutter

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 10:07:10 PM

Thanks for your input. I have a couple follow up questions for you.

what makes you think i don't know about the other stories about allinvain? do you have any idea where they all originated? reporters reporting on other reports doesn't make what the report any more valid, they all stem from anonymous posts on this forum. is it not undeniable that it would be easy for someone with the foresight/funds to fake such a heist?

I have yet to see a story with an interview with any law enforcement...or any official report.  I find it hard to believe that for every dumb story on the news they manage to have some comment from the officer involved/FBI comment/official report but this big of a heist and all they have to go on is cut/paste from this forum and a block chain which cannot prove that he just sent them to himself.

FUD until I see otherwise...sorry in advance if I am wrong Allinvain...it would suck to be you if its real...otherwise sorry about your electricity/hardware loss (because really...just like us getting into it now...that is all you have to lose in mining). 

5 day, hundreds of posts, massive media coverage and NO PROOF...sounds like a smear campaign to me...but then again I am paranoid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: