Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:24:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should you get into mining?  (Read 604 times)
kjakman (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:39:18 AM

To many newbies, you are probably still an early adopter to others around you - most people have only (if at all) hear about Bitcoin. So should you buy or should you mine? IMO, buying is better from an effort/profit perspective unless you can get a hold of ASIC miners. Mining is better to support the Bitcoin economy (we need miners). Buying GPUs at this point seems a bit pointless, and FPGAs are hard to come by and are probably unprofitable soon. If you want to do GPU mining (or god forbid, CPU mining), pick another Bitcoin derived currency like LTC.

Another 2 cents from me,

Kjakman

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
papageovanni

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:00:28 AM

I do LTC  mining with a 7950. It makes a few $/day profit - but if it's profit you're after, it's not worth the effort and just takes too bloody long. (it was more of a fascination for me)

If you just want to get your hands on bitcoin then buy it! But buy now, because the price is said to go up again.
samsung

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:09:45 AM

what do you guys ment to be mining
namzycad3

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:39:09 AM

as a hobby, why not Tongue have fun plus some ka ching Tongue
Jerry from Rochester

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 04:54:57 AM

No I don't think I should get into mining at all. About the only thing I can afford to mine right now is BBQ coin.  Be careful, BBQ is a scam.  Some people say you can eat BBQ coin, but that is not true.  I don't believe you can eat BBQ coin.  Ya know, that reminds me of that time me and Burtha went all the way to Nashville to eat at  Jed's famous diner.  Turned out that Jed had closed up shop about two years ago.  We never did get to try Jed's famous cornbread. 
RagnarDanneskjold

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:24:31 AM

...Should you get into mining?

A: Yes, if you are reading this forum and have any level of interest in BTC, you should devote at least some time and effort into mining virtual currencies.. If new hardware investment is out of the question, check into Litecoin as mentioned above. Even with no experience, there is sufficient online support, faqs and walkthroughs here and elsewhere to get you up and running in days.

There will only be one or two major virtual currency gold rushes - it might be with BTC, or something else, but either way, don't be that guy who looks back in 10 or 15 years when you are still poor and celibate while the rest of us are Scrooge McDucking it.

git  |  | ID
'Bitcoin is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage’s whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Bitcoin is the process of setting man free from men'
jdot007

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:54:52 AM

A: Yes, if you are reading this forum and have any level of interest in BTC, you should devote at least some time and effort into mining virtual currencies.. If new hardware investment is out of the question, check into Litecoin as mentioned above. Even with no experience, there is sufficient online support, faqs and walkthroughs here and elsewhere to get you up and running in days.

There will only be one or two major virtual currency gold rushes - it might be with BTC, or something else, but either way, don't be that guy who looks back in 10 or 15 years when you are still poor and celibate while the rest of us are Scrooge McDucking it.

+1

McDucking it, Classic!
antimidas

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 06:09:30 AM

awesome
antimidas

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 06:10:22 AM

anyone else mine BTE or feather?
abxexp

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 06:19:31 AM

I mine BTE
Drezi

Activity: 45

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 06:21:51 AM

Currently mining FeatherCoin. Probably going to get a few coins with my 5770.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 06:38:20 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2013, 02:46:13 PM by odolvlobo

I recommend that everyone try mining at least once. People that think that they will make a lot of money by mining will be disappointed. It is not really worth the time and effort for most people. but it still appeals to some people. If you try mining and you like it, then you should consider buying some ASICs and maybe you will actually make a profit.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
dakez

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:38:00 AM

I plan to perhaps do some LTC mining on a 7950 or so.
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:47:03 AM

Mining can be very profitable, but the margins can be a bit unpredictable. In the long term it will probably be a low margin game.

I recommend anyone that wants to try mining to start with a GPU. What coin you mine probably doesn't much matter, LTC may be more profitable at the moment.

WHat does matter is making sure you either have or can learn the technical skills necessary to manage a mining operation. If you can keep a small GPU farm going for a couple weeks, good. Then flip those GPUs for cash and try to find a reliable BTC Asic vendor. Don't buy specialized hardware without having at least a general idea how to use it though.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: