Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:26:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Graphics Cards Nvidia vs ATI  (Read 5044 times)
Computer Stuff (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:03:53 PM

I would expect the performance gap to be smaller. Can anyone explain why Nvidia is doing so pooly compared to ATI ? Might the gap close with new drivers and code tweaks? I prefer Nvidia cards and I suppose I could build a rig with both, but I prefer not to.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jgraham

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

<Pretentious and poorly thought out latin phrase>

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:07:56 PM

I would expect the performance gap to be smaller. Can anyone explain why Nvidia is doing so pooly compared to ATI ? Might the gap close with new drivers and code tweaks? I prefer Nvidia cards and I suppose I could build a rig with both, but I prefer not to.

It's explained rather well here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Why_a_GPU_mines_faster_than_a_CPU

I'm rather good with Linux.  If you're having problems with your mining rig I'll help you out remotely for 0.05.  You can also propose a flat-rate for some particular task.  PM me for details.
Computer Stuff (OP)

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:18:06 PM

Thanks.

I work with Hi-def video so it would be nice if I could build a video editing workstation that could also mine efficiently, but I guess that's not in the cards yet.
jgraham

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 11:43:49 PM

Thanks.

I work with Hi-def video so it would be nice if I could build a video editing workstation that could also mine efficiently, but I guess that's not in the cards yet.

Similarly, I run a top 500 folding team and as of yet the ATI client is not nearly as good as the NVidia one so at first I was just diverting GPU from my folding efforts to mining.   In the end I picked up a 6990 and popped it in my main folding box.  It mines about twice as well than the three GTX4/580's I was diverting.  It's almost paid for too, but that was because I cashed out some BTC @ $29/ ;-)

I'm rather good with Linux.  If you're having problems with your mining rig I'll help you out remotely for 0.05.  You can also propose a flat-rate for some particular task.  PM me for details.
billiophile

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 11:55:12 PM

I often thought, just when will ATI show their GPU / APU is as competitive as nVidia's. Cuda and PhyX have been fairly well received (in gaming and video editing). I for one went 'red' because of bitcoin mining, having purchased 2x 5850 last week and 2 x 5830 today.

William
BitCoinsForGold

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 12:10:32 AM

Its just something to do with the way they are coded or made or something. As for the why, thats a hard question, i always thought the extreme difference was odd too
jgraham

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 12:16:02 AM

Cuda was well received for GPGPU work for one reason really: it was there.  ATI's API was broken from the start and the OpenCL implementation was in poor shape for a long time.  Now that the platforms have matured we see ATI pulling ahead in places like brute-forcing hashes.

jgraham

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 12:23:32 AM

Its just something to do with the way they are coded or made or something. As for the why, thats a hard question, i always thought the extreme difference was odd too
Ceterus paribus the more closely your instruction set models your problem the more efficient your hardware will be at solving it.   Another example is the Core i7's with AES instructions and those without.  You get 10x the performance on the same clock when your CPU has silicon dedicated to the task.  Another example would be "Deep Crack" the ASIC based DES cracker the EFF built in 1998 it could crack the DES keyspace in an unheard of (at that time) 9 days.

Endeavour79

Activity: 174

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 12:59:38 AM

Just adding the harware comparison from the Wiki.. In case another newbie does not know it ;-)

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

NSW, Australia - Rigs, Mining, Pools - Local help needed? Send me a message!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: