Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:41:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 400 watts of free electricity. What miner to use ?  (Read 1125 times)
mat542 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 06:43:33 AM

Hello,

I can get 400 watts of free electricity.
I've been mining for one year with a Bitcoin miner at 270Gh/s. It has a 1.4 W/Gh/s ratio. It mines, at the moment, 0.00012124 BTC per day.
I'm looking to replace it with something that will mine more, but with the same 400 Watts consumption.
If I get an Antminer S7 (~350€) and underclock it, I can mine 0.00072117 BTC per day (1.6Th/s @ 400 watts).

I created yesterday a topic in the Bitcoin section.
Several people told me to mine an Altcoin to convert it to Bitcoin.

I'm a total stranger to Altcoins.
My goal would be to Mine an Altcoin and convert it to Bitcoin. And with that method, achieve a mining rate of more then 0.00072117 BTC per day.

What altcoin miner uses a maximum of 400 watts (or that can be underclocked to use less then 400 watts) ?
What would be the best miner, new or second hand, available in Europe ?
Which Altcoin to mine ?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 06:53:05 AM

With 400 watts you can mine 0.0012 btc per day. You can have a computer with one graphic card RX 480 8GB GDDR5(150watt) and it will mine about 2.25 USD per day.

Download Nicehash miner software from the official website www.nicehash.com and it will mine automatically the best altcoin and convert it to pay you directly in bitcoin. It is very easy, just start reading a few of threads in this section.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
Vaccinus

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 07:48:16 AM

buy gpu and mine with that, with 400 watt you can buy 4 1070 and do 0.01 per day,, this is much better than antminer or other scrypt, and gpu hold very well their value, but will cost you more up front, because 4 x 1070 are $1400 at least plus $400 for other rig components

newmz

Activity: 372

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 07:59:51 AM

If you can get them (they aren't often in stock due to demand) go to Baikalminer.com and get yourself a Quad-Cube ASIC tower. That is a stack of 4 Baikal CUBE units. It will consume about 300-360W depending on what algo you set it to. It can do X11,X13,X14,X15, quark and qubit algorithms all at 1200mh/s.

Just as an example of what is possible, say you chose to use it to mine Dash (X11 algo), at todays prices that would make you about $US30 a day or BTC 0.0221.

I have just one of them , plus an older version called a mini-miner so I have around 450mh/s and at the moment I'm mining MUE (Monetary Units) which uses the quark algorithm and makes about $US12 a day (that is my net profit after the cost of power consumption which is only around 100W for both ASICs).

You could just buy whatever GPU based rig you could run at 400W or under but that is likely going to be a single GPU with that wattage limit. Just for argument's sake you got the best GPU available, an Nvidia 1080ti - which is the best GPU for mining equihash algorithm at the moment, giving you approximately 700sol/s. This will make you around $US5 a day or BTC 0.00327 and consume about 350-400W (the whole computer that is, not just the GPU).

This is all ignoring the initial cost of whatever you buy. a Baikal Quad-Cube will cost around $US3200. Depending on where you live in the world, the bare-bones hardware to run a rig with a single Nvidia 1080ti could probably be bought for $US1100-1200.

The biggest advantage of a GPU rig is that it can mine pretty much any coin. Even BTC at a tiny, tiny hash rate. I think that Baikal were very smart when they built their ASICS to be capable of more than just 1 algo, but only 6, which probably means it can mine 10 or 20 different coins, whereas a GPU and CPU rig can mine ANY coin as far as I know - but when you put a 400W limit on it then you suffer the obvious tradeoff a GPU has in flexibility vs hash power. I have an Nvidia GTX1070 which is the Nvidia 1080ti's little brother - it can hash X11 algorithm at 16-17mh/s and I would guess the 1080ti could probably do 20-25mh/s but the two Baikal ASICs using a similar amount of power do 450mh/s! A GPU rig is actually a PC so it can do all the things a PC can do, but the ASICS just hash those algorithms - that's ALL they do.

Crypto currency enthusiast and miner since 2015. Mined approx 200 ETH during 2016 and 2017 and sold it at approximately $US40 each. Then I watched it reach $1000+ each. If anyone bothers to read this stuff pay attention to this: HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL

I started mining with 1 AMD 7950 and 1 R9-280X. Then I gradually built my AMD operation into 12 R9-290s. Awesome ETH hash but ridiculous power consumption and heat. Over the last year I defected to the Nvidia team. I now use GTX 1070s. They were expensive to buy (probably a bargain now) but awesome hash rate vs. power consumption. blah blah blah blah
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2017, 08:51:56 AM

With 400W, put one GTX1080 in a microATX board and have it mine altcoins on a pool that auto-exchanges for bitcoin.  Easy peasey.  It will earn much much more than any SHA or scrypt asic.... WAAAAAY more.  And be UNDER the 400W allotment.....

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
mat542 (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 10:51:54 AM

Thanks for your suggestions.
I'm glad I asked, I wasn't considering altcoin mining at all.

@newmz I didn't know at all about the Baikal CUBE units. The front costs is to much for me at the moment. i only have 300-350€ and prefer to buy a graphic card. Also have a spare computer on which I can put the graphic cards.

@Cereberus NiceHash mining software looks like a very convenient and easy way. I'll probably use it.

@Vaccinus @JaredKaragen @Cereberus I already have a spare computer with 1x PCIe 2.0 x16 and 3x PCIe 2.0 x1. I just need a graphic card. I'll probably start with one or two RX480, they're cheep and mine well.
Vaccinus

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 10:53:30 AM

Thanks for your suggestions.
I'm glad I asked, I wasn't considering altcoin mining at all.

@newmz I didn't know at all about the Baikal CUBE units. The front costs is to much for me at the moment. i only have 300-350€ and prefer to buy a graphic card. Also have a spare computer on which I can put the graphic cards.

@Cereberus NiceHash mining software looks like a very convenient and easy way. I'll probably use it.

@Vaccinus @JaredKaragen @Cereberus I already have a spare computer with 1x PCIe 2.0 x16 and 3x PCIe 2.0 x1. I just need a graphic card. I'll probably start with one or two RX480, they're cheep and mine well.

a gtx 1060 is a good alternative to amd, it's on par with a 470 on other algo, not ethereum, people need to learn that there are better coin than ethereum, but amd is good for dual mining i see this as the onyl reason to go for amd, otherwise always nvidia, zcash and lbry is also strong now

JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2017, 12:33:55 PM

a gtx 1060 is a good alternative to amd, it's on par with a 470 on other algo, not ethereum, people need to learn that there are better coin than ethereum, but amd is good for dual mining i see this as the onyl reason to go for amd, otherwise always nvidia, zcash and lbry is also strong now

Also look into using something like zpool.ca for a pool.  I have been using them since they started the site in beta.

if you get a gtx 1060... you would make some decent returns on the skein algo.... I've been doing quite well with it in the past few months, and even more with the optimized ccminer alexis78 build.  The nvidia cards have better resale value, and are proving to be more efficient in many ways.  My 3x 1070 equivalent test farm turns out 0.420BTC+ every 2 months mining only skein (based on last 2 months).

With zpool it's as simple as using a BTC address as your username, and your password is just to tell it what your payout coin is (c=BTC is the shortest password I suggest).  Just download the miner app, connect to the address/port, and wait for returns.

I have written profit switching and manual switching batch files for zpool.  Also have many tutorials and info for getting started via the batch link in my sig.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
mat542 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 07:28:45 AM

Thanks for all your replies.
When I started this topic, I didn't know at all, that mining altcoins with graphic card, to get BTC, was profitable.

At home, in my personal computer I already have a GTX 1060.
I tested out and I get 0.008 to 0.009 BTC (~1.43€) per day with a total consumption of 153watts (0.58€ per day) at the wall.
Even at home, where I pay my electricity bill, it is still profitable to use my GTX 1060.

At the location where I have 400watts of free power, I decided I will use a RX480.
I bought one at 200€.
With the rest of the computer it should consume 240 watts at the wall and is similar to an GTX 1060. So I'm thinking I could "mine" 0.008 to 0.009 BTC per day also.
If I went for my initial plan, and bought an Antminer S7 (~350€) and underclocked it, I could of mined 0.00072117 BTC per day (1.6Th/s @ 400 watts).

I ended up paying less, using less power and mining more.
Thanks !
isoneguy

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 01:43:50 PM

if you're on a budget go for the 4xx or 5xx amd cards.

if you can afford 1070's then they are a great option as well.
sikkan

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 12:05:30 PM

if you're on a budget go for the 4xx or 5xx amd cards.

if you can afford 1070's then they are a great option as well.

even the radeon 7970/7990 and/or r9 280x are fairly good too. Downvolted and downclocked they pull around 130W per core.

point the rig at nicehash miner, get paid in BTC. Ultra simple! Smiley

▄▀▀▄         ▄▀▀▄
     ▀▄▄▀         ▀▄▄▀              ▄▄
       █           ▐▌           ▄▄▄█  █
       █      ▄▄████████▄▄    ▄█▀   ▀▀
       █▄▄▄▄████████████████▄█▀ 
         ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄ 
        ██████▀         ▐███████
 ▄▄    ▐█████▌   ▄████▄▄████████▌    ▄▄
█  █▄▄▄███████▄     ▀▀███████████▄▄▄█  █
 ▀▀    ██████████▄▄     ▀████████    ▀▀
       ▐███████▀▀████▀   ▐██████▌
        ██████▌         ▄███████
         ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
          ▄█████████████████▀▀▀▀█
        ▄█▀   ▀▀████████▀▀      █
       █▀          ▐▌           █
       █            ▀▀▀█        █
      ▄▀▀▄            ▄▀▀▄     ▄▀▀▄
      ▀▄▄▀            ▀▄▄▀     ▀▄▄▀

SOVREN

Blockchain Innovation for Securities Markets      Current STO Sale Price
          Trade. Pay. Borrow. Play.   ─────────────────────        1 SVRN = $1.00

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀