Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:15:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase Verification - photo ID?  (Read 24465 times)
Cherylstar86

Activity: 1484
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 10:28:13 PM

Most centralized wallet/exchange will ask verification with photo as proof for big transaction. But if you only need bitcoin wallet, i'd recommend you to use decentralized wallet such as blockchain.info, mycelium and electrum.

Asking for verification will lead to exposure of their identity and i don't think that will be appreciated by most of the users. Bitcoin is in market because of its anonymity. We can receive and send those bitcoins anonymously without anyone looking over us.

Exposure of identity is not a problem and if you really wanted the service from coinbase site you should comply the regulations that they wish you should do. You must not reveal to anyone your account so that you will not be expose and not pertaining to the wallet site itself. Being anonymous is not an act of suspecting where you have been registered with any site account but the most important thing is you keep the confidentiality yourself.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nadine99

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 12:05:32 AM

you can use blockchain.info

personaly i dont like coinbase, it seems they freeze account so much,

btcney

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 03:52:45 AM

Created an account on coinbase and it seems that in addition to payment and phone number verification (and address), I need to upload a government-issued photo ID to use the service. Is this required of everyone?

With the amount of hacking going on these days, it does not seem safe to do so. If anyone gets into their database of photo IDs (even without accessing anything else), it would cause an inconceivable amount of identity theft.

Are there providers that do not require a photo ID?

ive yet to find an automatic btc provider that doesn't require id at some point in the journey to have a fully maxed out functionality account. you should still be able to use basic level features on coinbase without id but it will become a hindrance later on if you cant or wont provide them with the information they need to verify you. same with everyone else. you can go to paxful but you'll get screwed left and right.
coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1102

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 09:37:53 PM

I would also be worried about a possible leak of ID's, but fortunately most exchanges that require a an ID scan allow you to put watermarks all over it or scan it with a lower resolution, so it can't be reprinted and used by criminals. If you're worried about a possible loss of anonymity then you have nothing to fear. In today's world we have no anonymity. All our activity leaves an internet footprint, and footprints create a path that someone can follow. Many people were found through doxes, because once in their lifetime they registered a domain or had a social media account. An exchange is just another point of leakage.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: