Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:19:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DNS seeds  (Read 3206 times)
joelao95 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1009

Coin of the Magi!

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:11:19 AM

I am looking at the guide of bitcoin-seeder

https://github.com/sipa/bitcoin-seeder

Here is confusing to me:

Assuming you want to run a dns seed on dnsseed.example.com, you will
need an authorative NS record in example.com's domain record, pointing
to for example vps.example.com:

$ dig -t NS dnsseed.example.com

;; ANSWER SECTION
dnsseed.example.com.   86400    IN      NS     vps.example.com.

I know how to set up name server and the web, but rather confusing about "an authorative NS record in example.com's domain record, pointing
to for example vps.example.com"? So dnsseed.example.com points to vps.example.com? Is this necessary, why don't we simply use vps.example.com? Someone can help me this out? Thx.

Coin MAGI  . XMG   
Coin Source : Trust Verified    [ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ]
  ♓.NΣTWORK-DΣPΣNDΣNT  RΣWARDING SYSTΣM  ※ 
  ANN THREAD MAGIPAY FAQ FORUM
.CPU Mining   PoS-II   PoM   Unique Block Reward 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
micryon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 02:47:13 AM

to for example vps.example.com"? So dnsseed.example.com points to vps.example.com? Is this necessary, why don't we simply use vps.example.com? Someone can help me this out? Thx.

I actually don't know the answer to why this is the case exactly, but yes you have to do it in order for dnsseed to work: you can't just point your dns to the hostname, you need to setup your nameserver to point to the host,  in your DNS zone file.  I had always assumed that this was because DNS protocol going through a separate top level nameserver network.

But anyways in practice, you don't need to know why (thankfully).. So for godaddy, i edit DNS zone file: And then under hostnames I add dnshost to an IP address that will be hosting the DNS seed..  then add nameserver to  Dnsseed.example.org to point to host dnshost. 

Btw I also have to disable bind9 default DNS servers on your VPS server if using ubuntu..

VTC: Vi5NxyF6FPCCEQDrsDcA34P8pXe1Yck21y
PDR: PP3EQsV3oX9bBkjpsnESguMHz3tfMqHXhy PlanetDollar
cryptowho

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Ask me about Karmacoin

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:49:32 AM

Highjacking your thread since it will get some devs attention :

If you have some skills and are free, join our coin's team ?
Looking for:

coders
    web-dev
    coin-devs

We are trying to expand Karmacoin team. we have so many goals. Challenge accepted?  PM me.

looking for C++ coders , web-dev and coin-devs to join karmacoin team. We are trying to expand. we have so many goals. Challenge accepted?  PM me.
bee7

Activity: 574
Merit: 523

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 12:21:29 AM

Here is confusing to me:

;; ANSWER SECTION
dnsseed.example.com.   86400    IN      NS     vps.example.com.

I know how to set up name server and the web, but rather confusing about "an authorative NS record in example.com's domain record, pointing

the ' vps.example.com' acts as a nameserver for the zone 'dnsseed.example.com'

The zone 'dnsseed.example.com' is handled by the dnsseed program that you have to run on the vps.example.com host. Of course, you also need the A resource record to map vps.example.com to its IP address.

Hope this helps
1DowEKKjNyYQctiBskf39QB93KfWwZ4ojQ
joe@exor

Activity: 43
Merit: 16

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2020, 04:16:09 PM

Here is confusing to me:

;; ANSWER SECTION
dnsseed.example.com.   86400    IN      NS     vps.example.com.

I realize this is a very old thread, but I don't feel a definite answer was ever given. The best and easiest way that I have found to create the authorative NS record is to first create an "A" record that points to your vps/server ip address and then create an NS record that points to the "A" record that you just created.

Example:

Code:
A ......... vps.example.com ............... 54.127.43.199
NS ........ dnsseed.example.com ........... vps.example.com

That's all you need to do for the DNS setup. You don't have to wait for propagation or anything like that either, you can go straight into installing and running the DNS seeder, which shouldn't have a problem (with the DNS setup) after this point.

Earlier this year I wrote a step-by-step guide that covers the entire setup process, which includes detailed steps for doing the DNS setup and installing and using the DNS seeder software. I even ended up improving the original bitcoin-seeder app and morphed it into a generic-seeder. It adds new optional features, some small fixes and most importantly, you no longer have to edit the source code to get it to work with your altcoin because all the common variables that change across altcoins have been separated into a config file for easy configuration.

Read more here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5239304.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: